TV Licence Watch

Paxter
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I read about this TV Licence on the internet, and to me this seems very strange. I know no other country but the UK and Singapore who require you to pay a very large sum of money just to watch TV (142.50 pounds).

The TV Licence agents with their vans remind me of KGB. What do you think about this tax?

*hall students are all required to have a licence, or is it enough just one per floor or something like this?*
nelie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The TV license allows for quality programmes on the BBC. As they dont have adverts, they have no income =]
carmcarm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hate having to spend so much on a TV license, but I suppose the perks of a no advertisments channels are quite good. Shame BBC is full of crap.

And i think one TV license per halls is enough! WE'RE POOR STUDENTS!
Ridzzle
Report 9 years ago
I asked this in my thread below and someone said you only need it if you're using the TV for watching tv and its not needed for DVDs/Gaming. Not sure if thats true or not but I certanly hope so as I watch very little live TV as its pretty poor, especially on freeview.

Edit: I just checked the website and this is actually true. You don't need a license if you're not using it to watch live tv, however, you need to contact them in writing to notify them and they usually send someone round to make sure you're not trying to wriggle out of it.
TLMZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
as long as you have an individual room number and address, you have to have a TV license.

it is true about the DVD and games thing, but it's VERY hard to prove...if you even have an aerial port in your room, or on your tv, they will presume you're using it for the television.
TLMZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
aka if you havn't got a collected address, then you have to pay per room.
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like the TV licence. It allows for high quality programming which normally wouldn't see the light of day on mainstream telly. Also you don't get adverts every 15 minutes. Imagine a world where the only thing shown on telly was Britains got "Talent" and the X-Factor. *shudders*
Fartlek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If we didn't pay it, we'd have crap TV like in America.

Commercial TV stations have to out-compete the BBC, and the BBC has to do even better to justify the Licence Fee.

Every student bedroom in halls has to have a Licence to watch TV in the bedroom. In shared housing, then one TV licence can cover the communal areas of the house (eg. the living room). If it is paid by one person, then that person's bedroom is also covered, but none of the other residents may have a TV in their room; otherwise everyone needs a Licence.
Ridzzle
Report 9 years ago
After a little more digging I saw you can pay weekly (£5.50 Cash), monthly (£12) or quarterly (£35).

However, as the full price is £142.50 if you pay weekly (5.50 x 52) then you pay £286 which is just over double. If you pay weekly (12 x 12) then you pay £144 which is just a little more but quarterly is actually cheaper by £2.50 (35 x 4) £140.
v1990
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ridzzle)
I asked this in my thread below and someone said you only need it if you're using the TV for watching tv and its not needed for DVDs/Gaming. Not sure if thats true or not but I certanly hope so as I watch very little live TV as its pretty poor, especially on freeview.

Edit: I just checked the website and this is actually true. You don't need a license if you're not using it to watch live tv, however, you need to contact them in writing to notify them and they usually send someone round to make sure you're not trying to wriggle out of it.
yeah that was me, i phoned them up and this was the case.

So if you can live without live tv and dont mind catchups on iplayer etc, dont bother buying a license. Live is the key word, if its not live its free
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, you dont

You are under no legal obligation to make any contact with them, and certainly dont need to let anyone they send round into your room to 'make sure you're not trying to wriggle out of it'.

I highly recommend you do not contact the Tv Licensing company.
Paxter
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
No, you dont

You are under no legal obligation to make any contact with them, and certainly dont need to let anyone they send round into your room to 'make sure you're not trying to wriggle out of it'.

you`re right, this makes sense. it`s your private life, nobody needs to know how you spend your time in your room (watching dvds, playing xbox). i read somewhere on the internet (wikipedia i think) that you are not obligated to let the tv agents inside your room. if they have a strong suspicion of illegal tv watching, they`ll have a warrant.
TLMZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeh but they do it, it's on a database...if you havn't got a license but you have a TV then they will check, and they will send warning letters etc.

if you dont need a license you end up having to tell them and then they send someone out.
Ridzzle
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
No, you dont

http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templ...4I80PKS9KDMM7C this site begs to differ.

"You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."

They have devices that they can use to check if you have a TV, they use detector vans that can search neighbourhoods. If they see you have a TV and your address isn't in their database then they'll come knocking. And do you think they're going to just walk away if you don't let them in? They'll return with a warrent thats if the university/whoever owns the place doesn't let them in first... Its against the law to not have one if you own a tv without special pardon by themselves, in the case stated above about gaming and DVD's. So you are under legal obligation, once you purchase a TV for a residence that has no licence, to contact them be that from simply buying a licence or writing to them to tell them that you don't need one.

They know students will try to get out of paying for it, both my cousins have said representatives came round to student halls to make sure students have a valid licence and those without got a £1000 fine and told to pay.

Sure, if you think you're above the law, don't contact them. But I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when they come knocking mate.
TLMZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templ...4I80PKS9KDMM7C this site begs to differ.

"You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."

They have devices that they can use to check if you have a TV, they use detector vans that can search neighbourhoods. If they see you have a TV and your address isn't in their database then they'll come knocking. And do you think they're going to just walk away if you don't let them in? They'll return with a warrent thats if the university/whoever owns the place doesn't let them in first... Its against the law to not have one if you own a tv without special pardon by themselves, in the case stated above about gaming and DVD's. So you are under legal obligation, once you purchase a TV for a residence that has no licence, to contact them be that from simply buying a licence or writing to them to tell them that you don't need one.

They know students will try to get out of paying for it, both my cousins have said representatives came round to student halls to make sure students have a valid licence and those without got a £1000 fine and told to pay.

Sure, if you think you're above the law, don't contact them. But I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when they come knocking mate.

touché :p:
Fartlek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After a little more digging I saw you can pay weekly (£5.50 Cash), monthly (£12) or quarterly (£35).

However, as the full price is £142.50 if you pay weekly (5.50 x 52) then you pay £286 which is just over double. If you pay weekly (12 x 12) then you pay £144 which is just a little more but quarterly is actually cheaper by £2.50 (35 x 4) £140.
Actually, for quarterly payments, you pay one payment of £36.89 and 3 payments of £36.87, plus a premium of £1.25 every quarter, totalling £152.50.

The cheapest option is to pay in full at the start, or pay monthly.
Ridzzle
Report 9 years ago
Ahh right... I was just going off the TV License website, they used £35. I guess those figures are what they give you once you're deeper into the process after thinking its a steal to do it that way lol...
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't get a single license letter while I was in Priory, so with halls it doesn't seem to be a problem, I don't know what it is like with Uni managed housing or those houses with loads of bedrooms (I live in a two bedroom flat with my boyfriend).

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to enforce that?
Lolly90
Report 9 years ago
My friend said that she didn't pay for a TV licence at all during first year. According to her nobody did. She said that everybody got letters about it but no one paid, and as there are so many people in halls, the TV licence people weren't able to trace who had paid and who hadn't.
At the end of the year no one was fined and nothing came of it.
I don't know if it's the same for all uni's though :confused: ...
ewandougie
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lolly90)
My friend said that she didn't pay for a TV licence at all during first year. According to her nobody did. She said that everybody got letters about it but no one paid, and as there are so many people in halls, the TV licence people weren't able to trace who had paid and who hadn't.
At the end of the year no one was fined and nothing came of it.
I don't know if it's the same for all uni's though :confused: ...
WRONG!! I had a TV licence, I know loads of people who had one. The "enforcement" officers, (the wierdos wondering around with an aerial) have visited Priory Hall last year a few times and probably gave out fines to those without one. Its not worth the risk!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed