Desperately need help selecting UNIVERSITIES :/ Watch

Sunny1171
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm hopefully applying to medicine next week.

My GCSE's were: 6A's 4B's1C
AS levels:AABB (Predicted A*AA)
UKCAT:640

I want to apply to:

Kings (<--woahh not too sure about this):confused:
Barts
Keele
Leicester

I'm now seriously thinking of taking teh BMAT and apply to UCL as i hear they don't care too much about GCSE's. But i am very worried as I am terrible at essay writing and don't take maths or physics at A level.

I seriously don't know where to apply...Looking at my results, what should i do? I like PBL and am willing to go anywhere in the UK.

Thanks [P.S. Good personal statement! [me thinks ]]
crazy_smurf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=45 Spencer knows about UCL lol.

Looking at yours GCSE's you'd probably have to do really well in the BMAT, and for King's they look at GCSE A*'s and UKCAT so that's quite a risky choice for you (i may be wrong....)

Apart from that, everything looks good!
BlueRoses
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
PBL = Glasgow?
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Forget Kings. Kings will rape your GCSEs and UKCAT.

BMATs going to be a ***** if you don't do Maths or Physics at A-Level.
FinalFlash
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say either southampton (5 year) or either UCL if you knuckle down for the Bmat
Craig_D
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nottingham! :woo:
m197
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sunny1171)
I like PBL and am willing to go anywhere in the UK.
to me this translates to: i want to go to Manchester
Ozzy91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hippysnake)

You'd also be scraping the bottom of the Barts UKCAT
They only interview they top certain number of people by their UKCAT scores. Cut off point last year was 630 and it goes up each year.
alexis 123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ozzy91)
You'd also be scraping the bottom of the Barts UKCAT
They only interview they top certain number of people by their UKCAT scores. Cut off point last year was 630 and it goes up each year.
I thought it was 612.5 ????????
Blatant Troll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hippysnake)

No, no, and a thousand times no :banghead:

I'm **** at Maths and Physics. No really - I'm not being modest; there was no way I was taking both to AS, let alone to A2. It's definitely GCSE science - but you obviously know that the difficulty of questions is a lot harder. If you will, yes it's GCSE knowledge, but no, it's not GCSE difficulty.

It's not going to be a ***** if you don't do Maths or Physics at A-Level (indeed, the syllabuses are different, so A-Level students would do well to recap as well). It's going to be a ***** if you're **** at Maths and Physics full-stop. I just put some serious graft into those areas over Bio/Chem :headfire:
lekky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Barts and Kings are risky to be honest... if you like London then yeah BMAT and ace it to try for UCL, or depends whether you're willing to take the risk with Barts (tbh I'd forget Kings), otherwise uh yeah Manchester, BSMS, UEA, Penninsula, Glasgow ??
pakala98
Report 9 years ago
well, BMAT is at the beginning of November so you can do what I'm doing, which is: print out the syllabus for Physics and Maths, take out few books from the library and just go over the whole material on your own (yeah, I'm a bit weird but I really want Cambridgeeeee!!!)

and btw, I suck at those two as well, and I haven't taken Physics for the past three years at all.
Woody.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by crazy_smurf)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=45 Spencer knows about UCL lol.

Looking at yours GCSE's you'd probably have to do really well in the BMAT, and for King's they look at GCSE A*'s and UKCAT so that's quite a risky choice for you (i may be wrong....)

Apart from that, everything looks good!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1031230

Seem to think differently about UCL. NB Shiny comments there and he is going to UCL
crazy_smurf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Woody.)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1031230

Seem to think differently about UCL. NB Shiny comments there and he is going to UCL
:woo: there is hope for my ucl application (i forgot about that thread ).
I suppose it may come down to how much admissions love/hate my ps.
Woody.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:woo: there is hope for my ucl application (i forgot about that thread ).
I suppose it may come down to how much admissions love/hate my ps.
Indeed, I don't know who Spencer Wells is, but I definitely value Shiny's view too as he will know a lot about it. I am certain there are many many unis that place a far greater emphasis on GCSEs than UCL do. I thought you properly knew your stuff about UCL and weren't just voicing an opinion and you put me off my UCL application! Hah, back on track then.
crazy_smurf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Indeed, I don't know who Spencer Wells is, but I definitely value Shiny's view too as he will know a lot about it. I am certain there are many many unis that place a far greater emphasis on GCSEs than UCL do. I thought you properly knew your stuff about UCL and weren't just voicing an opinion and you put me off my UCL application! Hah, back on track then.
sorry for putting you off UCL! i've got the same gcse's as you and im definitely going for ucl :yeah: do you have a shortlist of uni's yet?
Woody.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sorry for putting you off UCL! i've got the same gcse's as you and im definitely going for ucl :yeah: do you have a shortlist of uni's yet?
Soton, Aberdeen, BSMS/Leicester/UCL. Fairly confident on UCL though so it's really between BSMS and Leicester, and I think I'll go BSMS despite the insane competition. What about you?
crazy_smurf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Soton, Aberdeen, BSMS/Leicester/UCL. Fairly confident on UCL though so it's really between BSMS and Leicester, and I think I'll go BSMS despite the insane competition. What about you?
UCL, St Georges, Barts, Imperial/Leicester, though a lot depends on my ukcat score :rolleyes:
Woody.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
UCL, St Georges, Barts, Imperial/Leicester, though a lot depends on my ukcat score :rolleyes:
Wow, those are some quite varied course structures! Best of luck with your UKCAT (+ BMAT). I still need to book the BMAT, hope it's not too late.
crazy_smurf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow, those are some quite varied course structures! Best of luck with your UKCAT (+ BMAT). I still need to book the BMAT, hope it's not too late.
Yeh lol, though i can only really see myself in london :awesome:, and don't worry about booking the bmat, you still have a couple of weeks left! ( i haven't booked it yet ) Best of luck to you as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads