dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Username: dhr90
University: Southampton Solent
Course: Geography With Marine Studies

It's 5 days till I move in and I have yet to start packing. I have 4 evenings and 1 day to fit seeing everyone and packing in. Perhaps fitting in so much overtime into the final week was not the best of ideas. Last day of work on Friday (jobless in term time), I am looking forward to it, but I have this nagging feeling no-one will be bothered about me leaving, the popular girl will get all the goodbyes and I will get a cursory glance I imagine.

I feel like I have now bought all kitchen essentials, even 2 months of Shreddies for £2 (sold boxless as they split). I bought half of it from the bootfair (cheap guy here!), but it was all new and with the packaging of a major supermarket, with the name cut off or a sticker over. Saved around £20 doing that. The rest was bought where I work, staff discount is being abused nicely :yep:

I have approximetly 120 miles to travel to uni and am in an argument about how I get to uni. I want to just use the car and fill it to the brim. My mum wants my dad to tow the caravan and stay a few days. This is purely so she can come too, a prospect I am dreading as I know she will treat me like a child and comment that I do stuff wrong and dislike my flatmates.

A lesson I learned when buying my first computer: always always double and triple check very carefully the model numbers of what you order. I ordered the wrong PC monitor from dell as it was different by one letter. But to be fair to them they refunded me (minus £10) and let me keep the monitor (sells for £190), having used it for a few hours it is very good, but I am still getting the one I origionally wanted as it has HDMI input so I shall have my PS3 plugged in. I purchased a telly and freeview reciever off my sister for £14, bargin to me. Won't purchase a tv licence until 1st October, meaning I will be eligible for a 3 month refund at the end of the year.

Going by the uni website pictures my accomodation has little furniture, so need to pack carefully. I didn't get an ensuite, but I guess it has saved me £500.

I have met a few people in my flat on the accomodation facebook group, I'm starting to regret this now. One guy is annoying me (I'm hoping his real personality will be better than his cyber one), and I would quite like to have met them all on the day, it's tainted move in day a little for me.

I am looking forward to moving out and having freedom. But am quite apprehensive about the social side of things as I very rarely drink, just don't like the taste really. I have never been clubbing before and arn't sure about protocol. Being a quiet guy I prefer a few people and a night in than a room full of faceless people alll drunk. It will be an eye opener which I shall share my experiences of. I'm also very much not a fan of dressing up, and todays post contains information about freshers, which seems to mostly involve different ways of dressing up, I fear I shall be the odd guy in the corner that no-one will talk to

I am in the rarer position of taking 2 bikes to uni with me, an every day commuter which will be locked up outside (worthless), and my mountain bike, this isn't the most expensive of bikes, but I am still intending on keeping it in my room (will be targetted outside). Should be interesting to see how easy it is to sneak it in. I have several ideas on how to do this.

Heard on the radio that 170,000 students finances are still to be processed. Mine is certainly to be one of them having only been sent off a week ago. But I am completely unfazed, I have savings as do my parents. Fees and rent are all being paid off in full to qualify for a discount. Being sensible, I don't spend recklessly and save every penny, I look forward to finding a large jar to put spare change into.

Strangely I am not that sad at having to leave friends. I have 2 friends I will miss, but other than that not too bothered, I will have people to visit though. I just know that in a few years time I will be barely if not speaking to them at all. Am I heartless?

New skills for me to learn are cooking (proper cooking, not just microwave and basic things), washing, possibly ironing, though I doubt I will do much if any depending how the machines cope. :woo:
RK
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Interesting comments you make there about meeting people on Facebook groups for your accommodation before you go.

I know when I went thinks like facebook (and even TSR) didn't exist, so there was no chance of virtually meeting people you were going to be living with before you went.

Hope the annoying guy isn't so annoying in real life!
HiBear
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're not heartless. I know that too. The people outside my "gang" I probably will not make a real effort to see or talk to.. Even if I am back in the same city as them. Facebook will be the link, but no more than that.

I hope your flatmates arent complete idiots, otherwise there's always more people in your halls you don't have to hang out with your flatmates all the time

RK that's because you're old :teehee:
:getmecoat:
RK
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HiBear)
You're not heartless. I know that too. The people outside my "gang" I probably will not make a real effort to see or talk to.. Even if I am back in the same city as them. Facebook will be the link, but no more than that.

I hope your flatmates arent complete idiots, otherwise there's always more people in your halls you don't have to hang out with your flatmates all the time

RK that's because you're old :teehee:
:getmecoat:
I'm 21 years old (plus 5). So not old at all. And certainly not 21 years old (plus 6)...yet...I'm more than a week away from that yet.

But starting uni back in 2001 seems to be totally different to how things are done these days. At least we did do our UCAS forms on the computer...even if we did have to print them off and post them...I think prior to this you still had the option to hand write them...
HiBear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RK)
I'm 21 years old (plus 5). So not old at all. And certainly not 21 years old (plus 6)...yet...I'm more than a week away from that yet.

But starting uni back in 2001 seems to be totally different to how things are done these days. At least we did do our UCAS forms on the computer...even if we did have to print them off and post them...I think prior to this you still had the option to hand write them...
not old at all indeed :holmes:

Wow. Things really were quite different. I can't really imagine handwriting my PS I think because we're non-UK we had to handwrite them until a few years ago. I saw an old application (well not that old) and it was handwritten..

Computer/technology generation :king1:
dhr90
Rep:
?
So two days away and I have started packing. Fortunatly I have few clothes, but the resto f my stuff is going to take a long time to sort through. I need to find an ingenious way of hiding certain...toys, to avoid questions from the folks when unpacking :o:

I made the mistake of putting all my a-level notes in one box and trying to pick it up, cue image of guy falling down the stairs... I suspect the notes will be mostly unused, but I'd rather have them just incase.

To be fair to the guy his facebook does warn he is over the top and there are times when he doesn't talk. Despite notifications about people replying to the accomodation chat on facebook I have yet to return and check them, I'd rather do as much in person now.

I am on a break from packing and deliberating which is the best alcohol to buy for the flat on the first night. Also adding up how much I owe my parents, thus far its £540 before I pay them back for accomodation :zomg:

My mum has accepted that she won't be able to come with me now, I will have the parents visit in a month or so tostock up kitchen cupboards bring post, my new monitor and so my mum will stop moaning and get to see where I live.

Judging by the weight of boxes so far the car will be riding very low :woo:

Tuesdays post contained details (mostly about drinking events) of freshers week. I have also found a lager I can tolerate, just half a pint at a time though.

Thats all for now as a nice unhealthy lunch is calling me :yep:
HiBear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lager :nn: but do you know if you like any of the alcohol?

if you dont like the taste then buy flavoured alcohol and mix that with sprite or tonic water or whatever to dilute the alcohol taste.

i also find that malibu and coke isnt very strong tasting
dhr90
Rep:
?
I will be okay with Carlsberg. I like Smirmoff ice and WKD, but have been told they arn't particulary good for a guys image, and I don't have much confidence so can't afford to lose any!

I gave up with packing this afternoon and went to finalise my student bank account and see a friend.

I appear to have managed to get almost all my clothes into one large suitcase which is okay. Now to go through everything else in my room and see what I need to take, I'm far too lazy to do it though...
My Alt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I assume you've tried cider? I find I still look manly with my "pint" but don't have the shocking taste of beer.
dhr90
Rep:
?
(Original post by My Alt)
I assume you've tried cider? I find I still look manly with my "pint" but don't have the shocking taste of beer.
Nope, never. My ethos is, if I don't know I like it then I won't buy it.

I'm amazed at how much stuff I keep finding in corners of my room which I think I might need.

I am hoping that there is more storage than the example pix on the uni website show. Otherwise I will be living out of boxes for a year...
My Alt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nope, never. My ethos is, if I don't know I like it then I won't buy it.
How will you ever find out then! :p:
member312105
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try cider if you like apple juice :yep:

I love cider - magners, bulmers etc. Pear ciders are normally quite sweet so they're pretty nice too :yep:

And more manly than WKD :p: alcopops are shockingly bad value.
CJ300
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you don't know much about alcohol, take my advise (I'm a real lightweight who doesn't drink much).

If you want a drink/lager that's not really that strong, quite easy to drink and but still highly respected. I'd say go with Budweiser. It's just like drinking coke in my opinion. With drinks like Fosters, Carlsberg, Magners, Stella, Guiness etc, they're all quite strong - and someone who doesn't drink that often might struggle with them I reckon. So if you do go out with your new mates, I'd recomend sticking with Budweiser.

And don't mix drinks either! Stick to one drink a night, or you'll be waking up with an AWFUL stomach.

The reason I'm saying all this is because I felt the same way as you around 2-3 years ago. And I had know idea what to drink. So stick to ONE drink for your first few weeks, like Budweiser.

Hope that helps.
dhr90
Rep:
?
Well i have moved in and likely to have brought far too much stuff with me. Many complaints, though stuff not working is the worst. Currently most stuff is piled up along one wall. I definetly ought to have used more boxes for more in.l Would have been much easier. A bigger desk would be nice, telly is on top of the wardrobe atm, nowhere near any plugs of either aerial or electrical type. Forgetting a frying pan but buying sausages sucks fail.

A nice 4 hour car journey thanks to people being too incompetant to drive. Witnessed an accident in motorway services, women drivers :rolleyes: *runs*.

Thus far I have briefly seen 2 flatmates and thats it. The 5 and a bit hours i have been here and I have mostly been unpacking, out trying to find supermarket and a takeaway. Sharing 8 fridge shelves amongst 10 people should cause plenty of arguments.

Worst of all for me was this notice: 'No bikes are to be kept in rooms, any bikes found in rooms will be removed and a charge of £20 will be paid for its return.' Thieving *******s, surely thats theft?. Had to get my dad to take the expensive bike home for a month until I found out what other people with expensive bikes do.

It wasn't until my dad left that it really hit me. I'm alone, I have to cope on my own now and do everything for myself. It was quite a scary moment walking half asleep back to my room alone with other people already in groups and drunk etc shouting stuff at me. Since around 22:30 I have cleared stuff off the bed and set up the pc.

CJ300: I may be a lightweight but I had a pint of Carlsberg in total (whoa serious drinking there...:cool: ) a few nights ago and that was okay. Probably couldn't have taken much more than another half or pint though. I will try new drinks this coming week I expect. Especially if others pay!

Its 1am and I'm shattered. More in a few days. If I am sober at any point.
dhr90
Rep:
?
Okay so its update number...something.

I have been here 6 nights now and have some more to say.

I have only been out the one night due to being too tired, having a party at the flat and being ill :thumbsdown:

Yesterdays freshers fair was just where lots of free (usesless) stuff was given away. The cue was about 100m long just to get to the building it was in and so I didn't bother with it. Went for an exploritory walk around town instead which proved mostly uneventful, found a decent bike shop which made me happy though, easily pleased eh?

Todays freshers fair was for clubs and societies, not that there were many. Rather disappointing really, signed up for tryout scuba, and for sailing, mountain sports. Distinct lack of cricket or cycling clubs on show. Very little effort was put into it. I suspect I will be going first year without my decent bike

Sunday involved 2 clubs, Budda which was packed more tightly than a womans handbag, and Wahoo which was pretty cool. Other than having drunk too much and I resorted to having around 3 pints of water in an hour (recommended by a friend back home who consquently got a very thankful text the next morning) to avoid a hangover the following morning, and 2 slices of bread. got in around 2am.

Tuesday evening we put invites to other flats to come party with us as we hadn't seen anyone in the building. Met many people, one of which knows people that I know which was scary, mostly they wanted to just get much drunker, not something I was bothered about.

I do need to find a place selling ear plugs asap though as dispite being a quiet flat, they are still noisey when people return after a night out though, and my room is next to the entrance :bawling:

I met people on my course on monday, first impressions were that several wanted to get across how rich they are immediatly with comments such as:
"I was helping move my parents yacht from miami to jamaica in a storm last month..."
"I wonder if the uni will let me keep my boat here..."
"How many watersports do you take part in?"
To be fair that last one isn't that bad, but I did seem to be possibly the only person on my course who doesn't sail or take part in watersports. Unless people were lying of course...

Monday night ended up with a smashed light bulb in the corridor, Jordon (not me) had a football out, the conversation went:
Jordon: "Bet I can get the football from one end of the corridor to the other without touching anything"
Sean: "You are going to smash a light."
*Bang and smashing of light bulb and lots of laughter*
It has been hoovered up, the large remains of the tube got thrown out the window into a bush on tuesday at 3am apparently. it won't be reported as it will be obvious whats happened. Still Henry the hoover got some action...

Tuesday involved a trip out on the Solent Surveyor, the uni research boat, fortunatly my group didn't have any of the rich sailer guys on it so there was no talk of that type thankfully.

I am fairly pleased with my timetable, only one 9am start and I get Mondays and Thursday off. Nor do I have to do the extra curricular thing that some people have to do.

Having spoken to flatmates more I get the impression that 2 or 3 of the guys definetly think they are ladies men, which they arn't given the spectacular failure in picking up foreign girls. They got some choc and the use of toilets in their flat but thats it, and no return of phone calls. Many jokes have been made about this. :p:

Tomorrow should I feel well involves changing 2 bike tyres and venturing into town to buy a clothes airer, then braving the laundrette and seeing if I can wash my clothes without getting it wrong, I won't do all my clothes just incase I do screw up :eek3: Should there be time I will also go hunting for photography opportunities and watch the F1 practice online.

Attempts at cooking have been fairly rewarding, though tonights chicken noodle soup was nasty. Had to bin it (I worked hard at my part time job and saved so I can afford to be picky about what I eat), didn't eat as much as I should have today. Need to brave the cooker more I think with the contents of my fridge and freezer

Have to say I'm suprised I have kept this blog going. Its late and I'm feelign unwell so bed time, no need to get up tomorrow thankfully :woo:
dhr90
Rep:
?
Well its been 3 weeks since I wrote here and 4 weeks since I moved in. Its strange how when there is nothing to do you never have the time in the day to do it...

I am fully settled in now and feeling better about the course and flat mates. The course is starting to have a geographical aspect to it, the people in my group are all really nice which is good. There isn't too much desk work. We have 11 hours contact a week currently, not much work being set so far.

Yesterday was our first proper fire alarm - 7am and dark. It was quite odd at first, I was laying there thinking it was the thursday 3pm test of it and wondering why it didn't stop, the banging of doors made me realise it wasn't a test. Finding clothes keys and phone in the dark was entertaining, it was worth it, other turned up in little clothing and were freezing outside. Still don't know the cause of it. Went back to sleep until midday though :woo:

Four weeks in we have had 3 kitchen warnings, one noise warning (at 10pm??!) and everyone had a TV licence warning, despite 4 of us having one :rolleyes:

Learning to cook is an amusing task, I suspect I will buy a book to help me get a greater variety of food into my stomach, but the student aspect will continue such as a pack of bourbons in the space of an hour :woo:

Life has got a bit more complicated after finding out an ex who I was still quite close to me has been lying to me about some really big things. Fortunatly I have met someone whom I can talk to and its all very nice, just wish she was single as I do quite like her

Still no news about a club for cycling. I may well have to give up on that for this year. I am a full member of the Scuba dive club though, which is so much fun! I get so excited over the prospect of the next meeting, its all good fun!

Still no news about my loan going through, but thats no big deal, I had planned for that and have saved up for 2 years, hence my still very healthy bank balance

Hope you enjoy the update, will try to keep on top of things from now on
dhr90
Rep:
?
I was thinking about how I hadn't updated this the other day and figured I now have a few more things to say that could be helpful to the next set of uni freshers.

So by mid January I and 4 people I am currently living with had put a deposit down on a house for the second year. To be honest I regret going for that house. I was the one of us in the group with reservations and I am sure come the future I will regret yet again agreeing to the house we did. It was the only one I viewed and despite it being in the contract that it will be professionally cleaned before we move in I still feel we could have found somewhere nicer, and that perhaps had a table to eat food at and more kitchen space.

How we as a group decided to move in was a big argument with the rest of the flat with people going back on their word and me and some others stuck in the middle.

People were desperate to get a house before xmas, but really you can still find places after xmas, you just need to look around enough and not just choose the first house you find.

Make sure you have some money put aside from your loan or savings for a house deposit. Ours was £400 which we will get back if there is no damage etc. But £400 was unexpected.

Solent uni for Geography is...okay, there could be better organisation and to be honest recently I have been wondering if I made the right decision coming here, I've got through maybe half of the course assessed modules now with ok marks, should be putting more work in though, i could be doing better, procrastination sucks.

It may just be homesickness but I'm not that happy here at the moment, I seem to be putting on a happy front but in reality I'm unhappy really. I'm going to lectures, I like the people I've met, mostly at least. But as a city I don't like Southampton anything like as much as I thought I would. I'm sort of feeling like the end is nowhere near in sight, but the debt and time i have already put in is too much to waste. I've been out of the city a couple of times in the past few weeks with the scuba club, on my own for a cycle in the new forest and to portsmouth which was good. The city has no character and just doesn't impart any emotion in me other than almost resentment right now.

Given I am not the average student (at least here and of the people I have met) I really feel living in halls is not worth it. I'm glad I did it for the experience, but I cannot wait to move out! I don't drink much, I don't like clubbing and I really don't like being woken up by my drunk/high/noisy neighbour at 2am 3 or 4 times a week. Things should be better next year with a bit of luck.

Any questions on the uni city or course feel free to ask. Any advice on how I am feeling please do share with me!
jimmycarr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Enjoyed this blog nice read. Thanks
dhr90
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jimmycarr)
Enjoyed this blog nice read. Thanks
No problemo. I'd forgetten about it. Short and sweet update time I think

I passed first year with a 2.2, I was about 2.5% off a 2.1
I am no longer in halls so I don't have to see those dreaded flatmates anymore.
We moved into our house on the 1st July and apart from a few problems things there have improved, we or the rental agency are decorating most if not the entire house. We got Sky TV, broadband and phone. Fortunately they payed the reconnection fee (£128) after the previous tennants didn't pay BT the bill so they disconnected the line.

Unfortunately I didn't find a summer job so I am bumming around for a few weeks. I am getting some applications for term time jobs in early for second year though.
Student finance still hasn't been applied for yet, ah well I can survive without it really but will get around to it sometime, along with my passport application. I can't wait for the second year field trip. It's to either the Azores or Malta depending on how much it will cost the uni. Us students don't have to pay for it at all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads