The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

greenfinch
I really hope I get an offer at Royal Holloway. I haven't sent off my UCAS yet :eek3:

Aww, dw I'm sure you will :yep:

Hows the PS and everything going? Where else are you planning on applying? :smile:
Ahh I've written my personal statement and everything. It's just a case of checking back with the school on Monday and then it can be sent off I hope :smile: I just really want to be in the Chapel choir at RHUL aaah! Congrats on your offer btw :smile:
greenfinch
Ahh I've written my personal statement and everything. It's just a case of checking back with the school on Monday and then it can be sent off I hope :smile: I just really want to be in the Chapel choir at RHUL aaah! Congrats on your offer btw :smile:

That's good then, have you used the PS help service that TSR has? The_Lonely_Goatherd is brill and really helpful, would defo recomend getting her to check it :smile: Aww yeah, I've heard good things about it, I'm not much of a singer though :p: Thanks :biggrin: So where else are you planning on applying?
clarinetplayer92
That's good then, have you used the PS help service that TSR has? The_Lonely_Goatherd is brill and really helpful, would defo recomend getting her to check it :smile: Aww yeah, I've heard good things about it, I'm not much of a singer though :p: Thanks :biggrin: So where else are you planning on applying?

No I haven't actually, but I used the booklet about successful PS writing that my school gave me and my brothers went to Oxbridge to do music so gave me a hand :smile: Aah no! If we do both end up going there I'll make you into a singer! :smile: I'm a bit stumped about other places. I think KCL is a bit too ambitious as it's v. competitive and my grades don't really help much lol! I'm thinking: Birmingham, Nottingham, York (?) and Cardiff as my insurance. I'm still a bit cautious though! :confused:
greenfinch
No I haven't actually, but I used the booklet about successful PS writing that my school gave me and my brothers went to Oxbridge to do music so gave me a hand :smile: Aah no! If we do both end up going there I'll make you into a singer! :smile: I'm a bit stumped about other places. I think KCL is a bit too ambitious as it's v. competitive and my grades don't really help much lol! I'm thinking: Birmingham, Nottingham, York (?) and Cardiff as my insurance. I'm still a bit cautious though! :confused:

That sounds good, but if you do get a chance then it would probs be a good idea :smile: Hehe, well good luck with that! I do sing in the choir, after some serious peer/teacher pressure :p: but I am truly awful!

What are your predicted grades and grade exam qualifications like? If you really like KCL then go for it, RH and Cardiff, and possibly even Nottingham seem like fairly safe choices, so you could swap one of them for KCL, which still wouldn't seem that risky imo :dontknow:
Yeah, I'll have a chat to her about it :smile: Ahh I bet you're not :smile: If you were truely awful then they would've kicked you out :smile:

Er my predicted grades are AAA/AAB and grade exam qualifications are Grade 8 voice distinction, Grade 7 Clarinet and Violin distinction and Grade 5 Piano distinction.

Mm, I really like RHUL though, it was so pretty and is close to London which is what I'm looking for as it gives a lot of performance opportunities :smile: I'm really not at all optimistic about KCL and think I don't want to embarrass myself in an interview lol! :smile:
greenfinch
Yeah, I'll have a chat to her about it :smile: Ahh I bet you're not :smile: If you were truely awful then they would've kicked you out :smile:

Er my predicted grades are AAA/AAB and grade exam qualifications are Grade 8 voice distinction, Grade 7 Clarinet and Violin distinction and Grade 5 Piano distinction.

Mm, I really like RHUL though, it was so pretty and is close to London which is what I'm looking for as it gives a lot of performance opportunities :smile: I'm really not at all optimistic about KCL and think I don't want to embarrass myself in an interview lol! :smile:

Oh I really am! Ooops sorry about the spelling, never been my forte :p: But it's non-auditioned, and we need as many altos as we can get, not to mention that my music teacher likes me far too much to kick me out! :p:

Wow that's very impressive! Well done! It defo sounds like KCL wouldn't be that risky, and from what I heard at the open days, it sounds like RH and Nottingham are relatively lenient with the grades and would be 'safe' choices for you. So it wouldn't be too risky to apply for KCL, especially if you have your heart set on studying in London.
clarinetplayer92
That's good then, have you used the PS help service that TSR has? The_Lonely_Goatherd is brill and really helpful, would defo recomend getting her to check it :smile:

:awesome:

greenfinch
Yeah, I'll have a chat to her about it Ahh I bet you're not If you were truely awful then they would've kicked you out

Mm, I really like RHUL though, it was so pretty and is close to London which is what I'm looking for as it gives a lot of performance opportunities I'm really not at all optimistic about KCL and think I don't want to embarrass myself in an interview lol!

All the stuff in bold is good and can't think of why they'd be a problem applying to KCL! Also, they don't interview afaik. So if you wanna apply there, you should! :smile:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
:awesome:

:biggrin:
Hooray! Fellow musicians! :biggrin:

i'm a harpist and have applied for:
Royal Holloway - offer! ABB :woo: !
Southampton - offer! ABB and grade 8 pass. again :woo: !
Cardiff - audition, interview and exam (gulp!) :eek3:
Bristol
KCL

Btw, does anyone know what Cardiff exams and interviews are like cos i'm worried! :eek3: ?
oh, and what are KCL like - they seem to want AAA which is kinda scary!

Thanks.

Meg :biggrin:
Reply 110
Do KCL focus a lot on AS Grades since my predicted grades are AAA but my AS grades aren't that great (right now but thats what retakes are for!!! :p: ) Will they look past that and look at my predicted grades and potential more???:confused:
HarpingPopstar

Bristol
KCL

Btw, does anyone know what Cardiff exams and interviews are like cos i'm worried! :eek3: ?

Thanks.

Hello! :wavey: :biggrin:

Congrats on the offers! :biggrin: Are you going to the Royal Holloway Music department open day thing on the 4th of December? :smile:
HarpingPopstar

Royal Holloway - offer! ABB !
Southampton - offer! ABB and grade 8 pass. again !
Cardiff - audition, interview and exam (gulp!)
Bristol
KCL

Btw, does anyone know what Cardiff exams and interviews are like cos i'm worried! ?

Thanks.

What makes you think KCL want AAA? I was thinking about this just now and checked on UCAS: still AAB as far as I can tell: http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DtdHZGzmkOaUarP1bRB0qxlfTGQxs-3XJn/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=975000#CSRA

You need to ask RightSaidJames about Cardiff :smile:

RightSaidJames
:musicus:
Reply 113
The_Lonely_Goatherd
What makes you think KCL want AAA? I was thinking about this just now and checked on UCAS: still AAB as far as I can tell:

I'm confused about this :s-smilie: Because it says AAB on UCAS and the person on the open day said that, but on KCL's website it says AAA? :confused: Why can't they be consistent? :p:
Indeed.
I'm confused about this :s-smilie: Because it says AAB on UCAS and the person on the open day said that, but on KCL's website it says AAA? Why can't they be consistent?

That is quite bizarre :s-smilie: Best thing to do is for one of you KCL applicants to e-mail the department, explaining that there's conflicting info on the two important sources of information (their own website and UCAS) and for someone there to confirm?

KCL is certainly in a position to ask AAA of all its applicants but if that's wt they're doing they need to make sure everyone applying knows that they're being asked for AAA :eek:
Reply 115
I've just emailed KCL, I'll reply here when they reply to me. :smile:
HarpingPopstar

Bristol
KCL

Thanks.

You're applying to the same sort of places as me! I'm scared about Cardiff interviews...and, similar to 'Indeed' am also puzzled about KCL as, AAB would probably be the most likely outcome of my exams. However, I am retaking a few so hopefully it might be okay? Thanks for the help Lonely Goatheard btw :smile: Are any of you guys also applying to conservatoires?
Reply 117
Hi there! Heard about this thread from clarinetplayer02, glad to be another music applicant!

My applications etc. are in the sig :smile:
Hi...I am new...
Have also applied to music, but no offers as yet, thinking that is because they all involve interviews...
Have applied to
Oxford
Durham
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Edinburgh Napier
and also RSAMD which I have an audition for next week...ahhh
Haeron
Hi there! Heard about this thread from clarinetplayer02, glad to be another music applicant!

My applications etc. are in the sig :smile:

:smile: Congrats on your offers btw :biggrin:

scottishviolinplayer
Hi...I am new...
Have also applied to music, but no offers as yet, thinking that is because they all involve interviews...
Have applied to
Oxford
Durham
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Edinburgh Napier
and also RSAMD which I have an audition for next week...ahhh

Welcome :wavey:

Yikes there seem to be a lot of Oxford applicants on this thread!

Latest