The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you conniving, lying ****.
Reply 81
JustCallMeKate
If you read my later post, you'll see I addressed similar arguments to this.

Still, I'll repeat: I never said this was a perfect system. I never said everyone who gets an EMA dilligently spends every penny of train fare and school books. Still, it is there in an attempt to support students who otherwise wouldn't be able to stay on in school without such an income.

I also don't see how the problems with the EMA should have any bearing on the OPs decision. Just because it's imperfect doesn't mean everyone should be out for what they can get.

Im not disagreeing with you, quite the opposite. OP's decision should be to get his lazy backside into a job like the rest of us middle class folk (Y) :smile:

i can just see the temptation is all...
Get a job you lazy thing!!! And stop trying to commit fraud, your parents are clearly in good jobs.
Reply 83
JustCallMeKate
If you want more money, what happened to just getting a job?

There really is no need to try and play a system in place to help actually disadvantaged students.

Yeh but in a busy week my job only pays £25 a week for 5 hours work which is all the hours I can manage. For 5 hours work I dont get as much as they get for nothing.

My parents pay more tax for them to recoup in EMA hmmm I understand the thinking behind it but sometimes it cannot be fair.
Are you familiar with the term 'benefit fraud'? If you want money, get a job. £30 a week is not worth going to prison for (or whatever the punishment is).
Reply 85
I'm afraid what you are suggesting is fraud so I would strongly advise you don't do that.
Reply 86
By committing benefit fraud you would be lining the bottom of the human barrel, you'd be below absolutely everyone except rapists, murderers and paedophiles. The only people that don't hate benefit thieves are the benefit thieves themselves.

EMA isn't a £30-a-week party/booze fund, it's given to people so they can buy school books, if you can afford school books then you don't need EMA! Be grateful that your family earns more money than others in your school!
trolling scumbag.
Reply 88
can't believe you want EMA man !!!!! tut tut
Reply 89
Honestly don't do it, so many people have tried to be sly and it has backfired on them, if you get caught you will basically have to pay back every penny.
Think about it you're better off getting yourself a job.
Reply 90
Evil! :mad:
Reply 91
Yeah, that's benefit fraud. Way to go posting about it in a public forum.
You know what, this really annoys me! This sort of thing makes people who get ema a bad name. I got ema because I needed that money to go to college. I also worked aswell! Get a job like most people have to and don't fraud, I doubt you'll get away with it.
Reply 93

benefit thieves!
Reply 94
i get EMA leagaly and i couldnt live without it so i know how it cud be tempting, but by the sounds of it, u shud at least try and put som effort into getting a job, its not werth the trouble u cud get in and the hastle it cud cause your family :cool:
xxx
You shouldn't do it, it is fraud and as others have said if you get caught is it really worth the fine and potentiall being kicked off your college course. Also if your grandma receives any government benefit herself e.g. housing benefit or state pension you wouldn't want to risk them investigating her aswell.
she would have to collude with you by saying you lived with her and sending in her income details.
MaccyG
Yeh but in a busy week my job only pays £25 a week for 5 hours work which is all the hours I can manage. For 5 hours work I dont get as much as they get for nothing.

My parents pay more tax for them to recoup in EMA hmmm I understand the thinking behind it but sometimes it cannot be fair.

Actually, EMA is between £10 and £30, so you're earning more than the majority. Also, the students claiming £30 are at or below the lowest bracket of income (assuming they aren't committing fraud) and so they are more disadvantaged than you in many ways.

At that age, my job only paid me £25 a week for eight hours work. I paid for everything myself (excluding rent as I didn't own my own place - like most teenagers), and it was enough to get by if you're responsible.

I understand that free money is fundamentally tempting, but you should only claim if you're actually deserving. The system is in place as an attempt to make things fair, even if it isn't doing that from your perspective. It's meant to allow students who are financially disadvantaged generate an income while staying in school so they aren't forced to leave and get a job to support themselves.
That should be a sticky and compulsory reading for all the middle class whiners who carp on about EMA.
I do think that the EMA thing is completely unfair and doesnt work - a rich friend of mine whose parents inherited so much they didnt have to work got EMA because then technically they were unemployed. Its very frustrating because of other people getting it and then getting money from parents as well, the systems *****.
But I don't think the way to do it is then lie, because ideally everyone would like to do this, but morally they dont.
Do what alot of sixth form students do - get a job. A hard life I know, but many manage it.

Latest

Trending

Trending