Depression Poll Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ive been 'depressed for the past 5 or 6 months (yet on and off for a few years i suppsoe) yet it was diagnosed last week and I am now on Antidepressants.

Just a quick poll, Are you CURRENTLY depressed AND on medication for it?

Its an anonymous poll.

Also, if you want, share some story of your depression.

Like, with me, i really dont know what is the cause of my depression, but I have got into my head this idea that I have done something REALLY bad, that i need to be punished and that i have let everybody down, it is HORRIBLE.
Also, I get suicidal too which isnt good. Loads more stuff too, but I dont want to make this too long.

Keep ANON if you want.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
I have bi-polar and am on med's I will write my story here when i have time . PM me if you want to talk and some help.
Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I used to be very depressed. Never took tablets for it though.

I found that channelling my depression into, something useful really helped.
username211340
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've had depression for two years, but I'm not on the medication because I found it made me feel numb, empty inside. My boyfriend gets me through though
Antimatter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm on ADs, but I'm not depressed. Riddle me that.
Vienna Cannon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I suffer with depression however won't be posting my story... But if you do wish to have someone to talk to I always have an open ear. I know how much better it is to get things off your chest when you feel down.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wish they'd give me medications that work but they refuse, so I'm destined to stay depressed forever. Well...as long as I'm stupid enough to keep trying to find a way out of it for.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have depression but i'm not taking anything for it.(probably my own choice really)
melting_snow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i have depression also. have tried 5 different meds for it and only one has really had any effect. going to see my dr tomorrow about being put back on it.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about three years ago - the first two antidepressants that I was prescribed didn't help me at all, but the third, along with CBT and time, did, and I've recently come off my medication (although I'm still being monitored by a psychiatric team to reduce the chance of relapse).

In case anyone didn't know, there's a Depression Society page under the societies section which anyone can post in if they want help or support from other depression sufferers.

:hugs:
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had depression for 4 years, went to various councellors/psychiatrists but wasnt on medication (largely my choice). Had a particularly bad year Year 13 when i nearly dropped out of 6th form and barely left the house apart from to get drunk. Went to Uni -> got 'cured' by new start.
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
where's the poll? :dontknow:

i am not depressed
The Procrastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depressed for years now...but only went the docs about it a couple of months ago. He didn't give me medication (meh) but referred me for CBT which I have only just begun. I hope it works

To the med takers. Do they help? better than CBT? I can't even motivate myself for that
Antimatter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Procrastinator)
Depressed for years now...but only went the docs about it a couple of months ago. He didn't give me medication (meh) but referred me for CBT which I have only just begun. I hope it works

To the med takers. Do they help? better than CBT? I can't even motivate myself for that
I'd try the CBT first, it's good, but for it to work, you have to want it to work, and actually be completely honest (which can be horrible and tearful and ick), and be willing to change things.
Meds are... Interesting. I've now taken 5 or 6 different ADs, and now I've finally found one that works for me, and I feel a bit better (though, my problem is hormonal so I'm also having GNRH antagonist injections as well) It's a bit like taking the pill, you try a few, and finally one might just work. But again, they can take up to 3 months to feel any effect, and if you're suicidal, it can make things worse.
Feel free to PM me when you're feeling down, or about CBT though

Jess
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, I'm depressed. Yes, I'm on anti-depressants. I'd rather not post my story.

Good luck to you though.
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
Yes, I'm Depressed, very much so at times, no i'm not on medication as i have never seen any medical pro about it....

anon for obvious reasons...
sil3nt_cha0s
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Yes, I'm depressed. Yes, I'm on anti-depressants. I'd rather not post my story.

Good luck to you though.
Sorry :sad: :console:
The Procrastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Antimatter)
I'd try the CBT first, it's good, but for it to work, you have to want it to work, and actually be completely honest (which can be horrible and tearful and ick), and be willing to change things.
Meds are... Interesting. I've now taken 5 or 6 different ADs, and now I've finally found one that works for me, and I feel a bit better (though, my problem is hormonal so I'm also having GNRH antagonist injections as well) It's a bit like taking the pill, you try a few, and finally one might just work. But again, they can take up to 3 months to feel any effect, and if you're suicidal, it can make things worse.
Feel free to PM me when you're feeling down, or about CBT though

Jess
I do want it to work but I have a problem with talking about myself to someone face to face. If it was through emails that would be fantastic. I had the assessment thing last week and my voice was shaking so much...thought I was going to cry just out of nerves. I can't see myself opening up fully with this person. Also what makes it worse is that she is around my age. I keep thinking she is going think I'm a freak cos I don't do things "normal" people do. Plus the receptionist there was in my year at school and I'm terrified they laugh behind my back...even though it's confidential I still worry.

That's the thing with meds that I wouldn't like. The whole waiting bit and swapping and changing them. I know this wont happen but I just want something that will ping me out of this. It's been going on too long now.

Thanks for replying to me
X7502
Report 9 years ago
I think everyone goes through depression at times, some more so than others. It's important to just focus on all of the good things in your life however small they may be. Just keep reminding yourself of them or remembering all the little things your good at. If you focus on yourself and the positives (however tiny they may be) and believe in yourself, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Your confidence will slowly grow. Focus on you, not any of your friends or girlfriend or trying to please your peers, just please and be happy with yourself and I've found depression doesn't effect you half as much. If you can live with yourself, then very few things can get you down.
eurydice333
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd rather not post my life story here but feel free to pm if you like. And by the way, meds aren't always the best way to go, they certainly didn't help me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads