Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    So no one's got it yet? Hope Hayden comes out with it tomorrow, I'd love to see it.

Sod it, economics for me now. Damn I should've done that in the first place, might have got into Cambridge!
    i dont think theres going to be an answer from hayden, it has been up since december.

ReputationRep:
    Assume such a factorisation did exist such that:

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = (ax + by + cz)(dx + ey + fz).

=> ad = be = cf = 1 and (ae+bd) = (bf+ce) = (af+cd) = 0.

=> (ae+bd)(bf+ce)(af+cd) = 0

=> (aebf + ace^2 + b^2df + bdce)(af+cd) = 0

=> a^2f^2be + a^2e^2cf + b^2d^2fc +b^2f^2ad + e^2c^2ad + c^2d^2be + 2abcdef = 0

=> a^2(f^2+e^2) + b^2(d^2+f^2) + c^2(e^2+d^2) + 2abcdef = 0.

But e^2 + f^2 = d^2 + f^2 = d^2 + e^2 = 0.

=> 2abcdef = 0. So one of a,b,c,d,e,f is 0. Contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    => ad = be = cf = 1 and (ae+bd) = (bf+ce) = (af+cd) = 0.
    just correcting you

i was going to go down the matrix route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i dont think theres going to be an answer from hayden, it has been up since december.
    Oh. Didn't see that. Lazy cad, imagine when he sees this and thinks "Oh yeah"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    just correcting you

i was going to go down the matrix route.
    Cheers .

ReputationRep:
    Cheers .
    its ok. the matrix route was going nowhere, unless i proved that d, e, and f had to be both positive and negative at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    What about them?
    Great solution

ReputationRep:
    In richard's likeness, I'll post another problem, which is nowhere near as hard:

"The village of wonder-upon-the-wye has an annual tennis tournament. This year a record number of participants have entered. These participants were grouped into various leagues, with the same amount of competitors in each league. In each league, every player played every other played exactly once. However, it was found that this meant there were too many games to be played. So the number of groups was the increased by 1, and once again there was the same number of competitors in each group. This reduced the number of games by 55. How many competitors are there?"

ReputationRep:
    In richard's likeness, I'll post another problem, which is nowhere near as hard:

"The village of wonder-upon-the-wye has an annual tennis tournament. This year a record number of participants have entered. These participants were grouped into various leagues, with the same amount of competitors in each league. In each league, every player played every other played exactly once. However, it was found that this meant there were too many games to be played. So the number of groups was the increased by 1, and once again there was the same number of competitors in each group. This reduced the number of games by 55. How many competitors are there?"
    is the village name important?

i hate factorials....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    is the village name important?
    Of course!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Of course!!
    I actually made it up myself, so yes!

ReputationRep:
    I actually made it up myself, so yes!
    theone, I just wanted to ask, would you need knowledge in AS Level statistics to do this question? e.g.) S1, S2?

ReputationRep:

reduced number of games by 55 per league or in total?

ReputationRep:
    Bono, you may need a teeny bit of S2, bit you don't have to, you should be able to work it out yourself (hint: You can use nCr, which is the number of distinct subsets of size r chosen from a larger subset of size n).

lgs98jonee, Overall number of games.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds more like pure maths to me bono.

ReputationRep:
    Bono, you may need a teeny bit of S2, bit you don't have to, you should be able to work it out yourself (hint: You can use nCr, which is the number of distinct subsets of size r chosen from a larger subset of size n).

I don't do stats, only mechanics

*feels rejected as cannot attempt question*

ReputationRep:
    is it just the first round of the tournament, or does it go into quarter-finals, semis, etc?

ReputationRep:

surely number of games played = no of teams -1 *no of teams /2???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Sounds more like pure maths to me bono.
    But you would need a sort of nth term formula to calculate the number of games played per group, depending on the number of players in that group.

That would be the first step? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I don't do stats, only mechanics

*feels rejected as cannot attempt question*
    i havent used any stats to do q

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 29, 2004

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.