Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    that is wot i got too :-(

i got n(g^2+g-2gn)=110

where g-no of groups
    n-total no of teams

is the above wrong 'theone'??
    I'm not going to say, you're both on the right lines, you and james, you just need to finish it off I think, unless you've made a mistake in your algebra somewhere . I'm not certain, if by teams you mean no. of competitors, then I think you've got your algebra wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    For me it's in P2. Maybe P3 for you. It may involve long division which is a pain..
    I prefer 'algebraic juggling', its a less messy method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I prefer 'algebraic juggling', its a less messy method.
    How's that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I'm not going to say, you're both on the right lines, you and james, you just need to finish it off I think, unless you've made a mistake in your algebra somewhere . I'm not certain, if by teams you mean no. of competitors, then I think you've got your algebra wrong.
    Yea, think im almost there, but i know ive gone wrong somewhere because i know the answer, and the equation i got doesnt work for it.

ReputationRep:
    i keep getting answers but am not sure that they are right? could u pm ur answers to me james?

ReputationRep:
    i have a formula and answers which were easily deduced from equation...i didnt use nCr or anything like that though...i can not see where any of ur stuff came in...if my equation and deuctions are correct (have sent them to two people), then i can see how it should be done (not my way obviously :-()

ReputationRep:
    In each league the players are paired together in every possible combination. So you use nCr to find the number of games, ie. the total number of possible pairings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    In each league the players are paired together in every possible combination. So you use nCr to find the number of games, ie. the total number of possible pairings.
    you dont have to use nCr, you just have to use the sigma r formula, i.e. 1/2 n(n+1) (but you dedeuced that anyway, when you said they were triangular numbers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you dont have to use nCr, you just have to use the sigma r formula, i.e. 1/2 n(n+1) (but you dedeuced that anyway, when you said they were triangular numbers)
    yeah except u use 1/2n(n-1) instead

ReputationRep:
    can i post my answer?

ReputationRep:
    can i post my answer?
    so x= no of leagues
    a= no of people in total

no games before = a/x(a/x-1)/2
    no of games after = a/(x+1)(a/(x+1)-1)/2

let x+1 = b
    x=m

=> a/m*(a/m-1)/2=a/b*(a/b-1)/2 +55
    =>a/m*(a-m)/m=a/b*(a-b)/b+110
    =>ab*(a-m)=am*(a-b)+110bm
    =>a^2b-abm=a^m-amb+110bm
    =>a^2b=a^2m+110bm
    =>a^2b-a^2m=+110bm
    =>a^2(b-m)=+110bm
    =>a^2(x+1-x)=+110(x(x+1))
    =>a^2=110(x(x+1)

anyway x and a are both natural numbers...so therefore 110(x(x+1)) must be a perfect square..i.e 110=x(x+1) or 110x=(x+1) but after trying different combinations, it is clear that the only one that gives natural number solutions is 110=x(x+1) so x=10 and thus a=110...no doubt 'theone' or sum1 else will clarify why my answer is the right one as i have probably jumped the gun here :-)

clearly 110x=x+1 can not be right as that gives x=1/109 and 55x=2x+2 gives x=2/53 so clearly there must be no x with the 110 or any coefficient larger than 1 else u get a fraction as answer? maybe this clarifies it?

ReputationRep:
    you dont have to. it's just the way you define n.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 29, 2004

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.