Think I've made all the wrong decisions Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm going into 2nd year at a uni I don't particularly like, doing a course I find hard and don't really enjoy. I live at home and don't get on well with my family. I only have a few friends at uni because it's hard to meet people. I'm in a LDR and I'm jealous of my boyfriend... He moved away for uni and now everyone's moving back, and he's out pretty much every night while I'm stuck in the house with my parents moaning at me because I haven't done some stupid little thing.

I'm really unhappy and I don't know what to do Just need someone to talk to.
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
If you don't enjoy your course why don't you change it? It's never too late and you should nevernever do something you don't enjoy if there's no foreseeable benefit. Maybe you need to get further away?
I can talk if you want to, it's always good to float thoughts and ideas
Anonymous #1
Thanks. I don't want to change because I don't have any other options, this is the best course for me. It suits what I'm good at and the job it leads to suits me as well. I just don't enjoy it and I usually feel like another 3 years at uni doing this will be worth it in the long run.

As for getting further away, I do want to but if I'm sensible I know living here is the best thing to do. I'm moving out next year (providing I can find someone to live with... ) so that should help a bit. It's just getting through the next year :sad:
Findlay6
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its never too late to change.
sure you might feel like you've wasted 2 years, but at least you'll be happier.
Anonymous #1
I can't change, I just can't. I'd end up not going back and regretting it 10/20/30 years down the line (exactly like my dad). I think I just need some motivation, last year at uni we didn't get much encouragement, just threats. Ugh I hate it, I hate it.
sarubobo28
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you decide to make a big change and do it for yourself you will never regret it! Maybe you don't like the subject purely because of the uni that doesn't suit you. You can apply for a different uni for the same course!
(Hey you have a boyfriend, I havn't had one for 17 years :p:)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sarubobo28)
If you decide to make a big change and do it for yourself you will never regret it! Maybe you don't like the subject purely because of the uni that doesn't suit you. You can apply for a different uni for the same course!
(Hey you have a boyfriend, I havn't had one for 17 years :p:)
Maybe. I think it is just the uni that's rubbish. Well it's an alright uni, just dull and so far unsupportive. But if it doesn't go any better I'll have wasted a lot of time and money. Staying here costs basically nothing, I get my tuition fees paid (yay for being Scottish) and don't pay rent etc. When I graduate, I'll have less than £10000 debt (<£5000 if I don't move out next year) so it does give me a better start to my post-uni life. And there's only one other uni that does my course in Scotland, it's not great and it's 200 miles further from the boyfriend.

(Oh and don't worry, I didn't get him till I was 18 - and a half :tongue: - and he's my first bf. Bit of a pain though, if he lived closer I think all the bad stuff would be less important)
Anonymous #1
Sorry, I meant if I move uni and it doesn't go any better.
ogloom
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd do you to cheer you up. PM me with a pic =]
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You just need a big hug from someone who really cares about you :hugs:
Anonymous #3
Report 9 years ago
Hey there,

Just wanted to say hang in there, if you really feel staying at home would be the most practical and for you personally the better option then I say stick to it. If you need support or a chat every uni has people in place for you to guide and encourage you.

On the other hand if what's keeping you where you are, and you feel it won't get any better as far as emotionally how you feel with your situation I'd suggest moving to another uni. As you've already completed your first year you could transfer straight into second/ third of another institution, this would save you both time and money. I say this partly from experience, I originally started uni at the local one with little thought and pottered through my first year unintereted and learning little. Second year came alongside me continuing to dislike being at home so dduring the year I quit (I really was on the wrong course) and applied for a better course at a new uni. I got it and started my new degree again 2 years later.

Financially I'll agree it is costing me more but I can honestly say it was without a doubt the best move for me. It wasn't easy and I have gone through major problems since I started my new course (unrelated to studying) but still I am so much more happier and know I'm going to graduate with a degree that I'm now interested in and have grown alot too.

At the end of the day you'll have to sum up the personal benefits and costs of starting afresh somewhere new but give it an open thought and try to see in the long run how you'd be better off because in 10/20 years down the line, graduating a year or two later will pale in comparison to how much it'll benefit you if this really is the time for you to move on.

Hope you're feeling better and please speak to someone at uni about your feelings as they really are there to help you.

Good luck with what you do

xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.19%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise