The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

becca-x
If I was giving someone else advice I'd say to them beautys on the inside, not the out.

Listen to yourseeeeeeelf... AS levels, so you're what? 16? 17? Plenty of time to blossom!

To the OP: your username hardly shines of optimism...
The thing is, if you tell someone "it's possible to look better if you..." or "you still might turn out alright...", you're not solving the problem. By doing that you simply place more emphasis on the idea that you desperately need to be beautiful to get by, and inevitably you make the disappointment higher and more bitter for those who, actually, do everything humanly possible and are still not beautiful. You're still skirting around the beauty = happiness dilemma.

Living with ugliness, without any sort of watered down some-might-find-you-beautiful life motto, seems to just be incomprehensible.
DisgruntledMoth
The thing is, if you tell someone "it's possible to look better if you..." or "you still might turn out alright...", you're not solving the problem. By doing that you simply place more emphasis on the idea that you desperately need to be beautiful to get by, and inevitably you make the disappointment higher and more bitter for those who, actually, do everything humanly possible and are still not beautiful. You're still skirting around the beauty = happiness dilemma.

Living with ugliness, without any sort of watered down some-might-find-you-beautiful life motto, seems to just be incomprehensible.

At the risk of sounding patronising it's just a relief not all girls buy into this and you personally are vastly more attractive as a result.

There's no denying that skin-deep, transitory beauty has rewards - it is instant and requires no explanation. Though the only girl I've loved (so far) was not classically beautiful, she was struggling for average at best, though when someone can floor you with their wit and share discoveries with you in that insightful way....well, it tends to overshadow the lack of initial bombshell buzz.

What's more she became beautiful and not that 'beautiful inside' mawkish crap - I mean she became beautiful to look at in my eyes.

I'm not attempting to disprove your assertion with my little story incidentally. It's only by completely buying out of the quest for beauty that she was beautiful probably. She was just damn smart to be fair.
Reply 43
personality and good hair
I can think of 2 good reasons why a girl is attractive

wait that wasn't helpful - or was it
Reply 45
You get attractive people, moderate people, and ugly people. For some people there is no hope (apart from plastics), as changing clothing, wearing more make-up, or being more confident isn't going to change the fact they have a deformity. Sure they may find that person for them, who doesn't care about physical attractiveness at all, but this is rare.

For everyone else, a little effort will make a big difference.
Reply 46
Be funny.
You don't need to be hot to be noticed. It just helps. A lot.
Idk, facial reconstruction? Maybe some moisturiser or some exfoliating cream to clear up that blemished skin?
Reply 48
Bit of make-up. Bit of personality. Job done.
Reply 49
DisgruntledMoth
As an ugly (or at the very least, unrelentingly plain) female, you live a sort of wishy-washy, fly-on-the-wall sort of life. When you get past the random bouts of depression and pathetic lonliness, you find that you don't really fit into any category of person. I've said this before, but when people say "girls", they often don't include ugly girls into whatever it is they are referring to. So, in this way, ugly girls live in an unmentioned society all of their own, where having a relationship is akin to a guilt trip and God so help you, you better have some redeeming talent or use.

In other words, you get by.

This. :frown:

DeanK22
I can think of 2 good reasons why a girl is attractive

wait that wasn't helpful - or was it

:awesome:
I'll let you know when I've figured it out :tongue:

Standing next to uglier people, probably?

It's all about making the best of what you've got; a cliche, but it's just true. That, plus a good personality, makes you attractive. It's probably easier for girls than for guys to make yourself look better. Then again, because pretty much all girls take advantage of the stuff on offer to make themselves look better, you've gotta work even harder, because it's all about comparison.
DisgruntledMoth
As an ugly (or at the very least, unrelentingly plain) female, you live a sort of wishy-washy, fly-on-the-wall sort of life. When you get past the random bouts of depression and pathetic lonliness, you find that you don't really fit into any category of person. I've said this before, but when people say "girls", they often don't include ugly girls into whatever it is they are referring to. So, in this way, ugly girls live in an unmentioned society all of their own, where having a relationship is akin to a guilt trip and God so help you, you better have some redeeming talent or use.

In other words, you get by.

LOL, you just summed up my life XD
Reply 52
Dress well, maintain yourself (stay clean), be funny and interesting.
Reply 53
spl00sh
personality and good hair

Works for Zach Braff.

Although it must be said, he has a crap personality and **** hair. But otherwise...he's fine.
[B]Whats the best way to cope if you are ugly?
[/B

Ask Ayla Phoenix he'll give you a few pointers.
Reply 55
al_fl
(2) your fitness level. perhaps you've got that extra flab flopping out of cheeks. Trust me, people look completly differrent (and more sexier) when they get thier body in shape. this also applies to skinny people.

I hate this, but i've found it to be true. I was "ugly" for years because I was really fat, then I slimmed down and suddenly I'm supposedly good looking. It does annoy me and makes me think a lot of people are shallow.
Reply 56
I've always thought people use 'ugly' wayyy too frequently. To me, an ugly person would be someone you can't even bear to look at. I've never come across anyone like that - ever. Obviously, some people look better than others but that isn't to say the people who aren't classed as the best looking are 'ugly' by default. And as others have said 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
Reply 57
Simple Solution:

Paper bag...

Hugs and Kisses. x
Reply 58
Nice personality :smile:

I know relationships where one is much nicer looking than the other and they all tend to have been friends/gotten to know one another before dating. Often the 'less attractive' one is a lovely, lovely person and not 'ugly' at all, particularly in personality :smile:
Reply 59

But seriously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so keep your chin up :smile:

Latest