help anyone? Watch

hopeful_vet
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Basically I have my heart set on veterinary medicine, AAB at A level with a third predicted A to be completed in my gap year. bout 17 weeks total work experience between completed and planned.

One problem, when I was 15 I went through a bad phase and as a result I have a reprimand on my police record for theft (the value of under a fiver) It was an idiotic, childish mistake, and I have never regretted anything more. It is not a criminal record or criminal conviction but it will show up on an enhanced CRB check that you have to have done when entering a vet med course. It was over 2 years ago and I have been in no trouble before or since.

I would just like some honest opinions from anyone applying or already studying on how much this will effect my chances. I have emailed my unis and their replies were pretty vague, as they obviously cannot promise anything either way. Has anyone been in/ known anyone in a similar situation.

Thanks
emilyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can't say I've had a CRB check, to be honest.
hopeful_vet
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
really? usually its done once you've accepted your place as a condition of your offer and it costs about £30 i think
ashefbjhsdab
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to fill in a form for it for the interviews at nottingham. And then they actually send them off when you accept a place I think.

It would be worth asking each university you plan to apply to as to how it effects your application.
Towser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nottingham do CRB checks, I don't think the others do.
emilyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can tell you now that I accepted my offer back in January, and it certainly wasn't a condition of my offer. Nor have I been sent any forms since.
To be honest, even if the majority of uni's did do them, I highly doubt it would affect your application too much. I mean, it's not even a record, just a reprimand for a petty crime. They may ask you a couple of questions, but providing you provide them with all the details and could show your remorse like you have here I'm pretty sure they'd shrug it off. I reckon the most they'd do is ask for an extra personal reference or something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.04%
No - but I will (32)
6.19%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (243)
47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise