Overrated/underrated food Watch

sango
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm just curious to see whether I am alone on this but I find certain foods which people bleat about to be rather average. I mean people talk about it as if it is the food of gods and then when you taste it you think was that it? BUt anyway here's the food which I believe are overrated.

Fish and Chips
Now this may be controversial since fish and chps is supposedly the pride of britain but I ask you this. Why in God's name would you go into a takeaway on a friday night and order fish and chips when there is a gorgeous kebab waiting for you with salad and lashings of chilli sauce

Chicken korma/tikka masala
I'm sorry but are there any other people who find these curries bland and mild. I mean COME ON bring on the VINDALOO or at least the balti.

Nandos
Here's another food item which claims to be so "Peri-Peri" hot but when you taste it, its so bland and boring, even with lots of extra-hot sauce on it. And the chicken is like cardboard.

Pizza Express
This restaurant pisses me off. I mean I know they are supposed to be authentic but FFS at least make the pizza taste like pizza. I'm really not a fan of thin pizza bases and the amount of cheese they put on is miserly. I mean the cheese is supposed to stretch yet you end up with a damp squib. And the toppings are simply pretentious. I mean what happened to a simple meat feast?!

But why no one rates Ethiopian/Greek/Nigerian/Mexican food beyond me becasue those make me :coma:

/rant
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sango)
Fish and Chips
Now this may be controversial since fish and chps is supposedly the pride of britain but I ask you this. Why in God's name would you go into a takeaway on a friday night and order fish and chips when there is a gorgeous kebab waiting for you with salad and lashings of chilli sauce
Because if you go to a decent chippy it's actually better than a greasy kebab? You can get a decent kebab in the shop ones rather than a van and there's a nice one in Hammersmith, which is Lebanese.

(Original post by sango)
I'm sorry but are there any other people who find these curries bland and mild. I mean COME ON bring on the VINDALOO or at least the balti.
Not many people can handle really spicy curries presumably. I prefer vegetable madras personally.

But why no one rates Ethiopian/Greek/Nigerian/Mexican food beyond me becasue those make me
There are some nice dishes all over the globe but don't go by what supermarkets tell you. There are enough cook books out there showing what the world has to offer, many of which are available electronically. I expect proper sushi to boss supermarket junk. Oh, and Afghanistan has some nice dishes. My verdicts:

Overrated: caviar, fufu.

Underrated: Bouillabaisse soup, ras malai.
Cultivated
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cucumber. Every girl should try it. Better than carrot tbh.
Absinth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cultivated)
Cucumber. Every girl should try it. Better than carrot tbh.
*Awaits the witty puns*

I think Tim Hortons is overrated (though it's an American/Canadian thing so don't think many people on here have tried it).
blip
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
underrated: ice lollies, bread, cheddar cheese.
omgosh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree with everything OP said. All over rated crap.
Wooga
Report 9 years ago
Underrated: Potato, Cheese, Toast
Overrated: Caviar, Mushrooms
Cultivated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ozzy91)
What is Tim Hortons?

That's Tom Horton according to Google Images. How you think he tastes?
AshMcD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love Korma and Tikka Masala, I've never, ever met an Indian who has described Vindaloo as anything other than a **** curry for jumped up white men who just want to be hard by having someone hot that no self respecting curry lover would ever eat.
AshMcD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cultivated)

That's Tom Horton according to Google Images. How you think he tastes?
I suppose it depends what he's been eating.
AshMcD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Agreed. Even though I make curries way hotter than that for myself but I think i'm just getting used to it. And yeah, Why Vindaloo. Who has curry made with potato?
I do love spice but there's nothing wrong with a nice mild flavoursome curry.

You should check out a veggie currie though! They can be really nice. The only good thing in Florda was this Carriebean woman who had a street food stall, she was selling potato curry and it was AMAZING.
.Mango
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Overrated- any type of sea foods, most balndly flavoured foods/ concoctions

Underrated- Zap ice creams and the humble green chilli
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sango)
Fish and Chips
It's no surprise when you originate from Asia. Hence you don't have that pure British blood in you which just loves Fish and Chips.

Fish and Chips by the sea side = :love:

(Original post by sango)
Again, you come from Asia, obviously you want curries to be as spicy as possible.

(Original post by sango)
Nandos
Here's another food item which claims to be so "Peri-Peri" hot but when you taste it, its so bland and boring, even with lots of extra-hot sauce on it. And the chicken is like cardboard.
You want it as spicy as possible, because you're Asian.

(Original post by sango)
Pizza Express
This restaurant pisses me off. I mean I know they are supposed to be authentic but FFS at least make the pizza taste like pizza. I'm really not a fan of thin pizza bases and the amount of cheese they put on is miserly. I mean the cheese is supposed to stretch yet you end up with a damp squib. And the toppings are simply pretentious. I mean what happened to a simple meat feast?!
Meat feast = generally more spicy, ergo read my above post. And the bit about cheese and thin crust is just opinion, but pizzas are generally awesome.

So in conclusion, this is more about the preferences that come with your national heritage, rather than British food being bad.
misternite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
overrated: english chinese takeaway. this stuff really is crap, you're all idiots and i hope you rot in hell for making me eat it. try gilgamesh or hakkasan 2 years ago for a good western spin on chinese.

underrated: salt beef bagels from beigel bake, real shawarmas and every greek dish ever.
jennifer.re
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What is Tim Hortons?
It's a coffee place which is very popular in Canada.
They do donuts too.

In response to OP,
I think Moroccan food is HIGHLY underrated.
And kebabs are over-rated.
neodymium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sango)
But why no one rates Ethiopian/Greek/Nigerian/Mexican food beyond me becasue those make me :coma:/rant
There are great foods worldwide, especially India, China, Thailand, Mexico and Italy. Tbh, I never heard that Ethiopia or Nigeria had any great food culture.
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sango)
I'm just curious to see whether I am alone on this but I find certain foods which people bleat about to be rather average. I mean people talk about it as if it is the food of gods and then when you taste it you think was that it? BUt anyway here's the food which I believe are overrated.

Fish and Chips

Nandos

Pizza Express

But why no one rates Ethiopian/Greek/Nigerian/Mexican food beyond me becasue those make me :coma:

/rant
I disagree with most of this. Although fish and chips = not good... kebabs are even worse.
misternite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
also my mum's food. it's the third world at it's best.
herzblut
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
West Indian Food is one of the world's best kept secrets imo. You have not lived till you've had a burning hot jamaican beef patty on a cold day. You haven't eaten bread till you've had some fresh, still warm plaited white bread or sweet bread from the west indian baker down by finsbury park. You have not had a meal till your mum has made you saltfish with boiled plantains, yam, dasheen and sweet potato. You're a fool if you think a bake is baked. If a cake has not been soaked in rum, then it ain't a cake mate! :P It's not christmas without sorrell. Mauby is nasty but you gotta drink it because it is so good it is for you. Haribo has got nothing on tamarind balls and guava fudge.

also: curry chicken vs chicken curry? rice and peas vs peas and rice?
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .Mango)
Overrated- any type of sea foods, most balndly flavoured foods/ concoctions

Underrated- Zap ice creams and the humble green chilli

Bless you, I used to love them. And of course the green chilli. I'm always having them(as extras) :yep:
mine:
Overrated: COFFEE and PIZZA for sure! Sick of hearing people getting excited cause they're ordering a pizza, or something.

Underrated: Tea(maybe) and I can't think of others yet.. maybe water. erm..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (428)
37.54%
No - but I will (87)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (77)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (548)
48.07%

Watched Threads