Long distance GCSE's? Watch

MissyLex
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've done a search, but had difficulty finding anything conclusive, but I'm completely new here so apologies if this has been asked already!
I am turning 21 come end of this month and finally looking back at getting into education and I'd like to start from the base up (not to mention my intended career plan relies on it!) which means I'll need to do GCSE's.
I was bullied badly in high school and only managed to sit my English Literature and Language (A), Science (CC) and Maths (D) exams. So I'd now like to take a few more and have a full portfolio of GCSE's.
I'm looking at taking History, German, French and Maths (again, d'oh! And Arabic/Latin if I can, haha!) but the only provider I can seem to find is ICS and after some digging I've found a lot of bad reviews for them. It's only going to be possible for me to do this long distance so I'm a little concerned I won't be able to get to where I need to be...
Can anyone vouch for ICS? Or, alternatively, can anyone reccomend another provider? I'm only looking at spending about £1,000 on all 4 courses together and I'd rather not bust that limit *too* much, but I can probably sway up to around £1,500.
Any help or advice is really very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MissyLex)
Can anyone vouch for ICS? Or, alternatively, can anyone reccomend another provider? I'm only looking at spending about £1,000 on all 4 courses together and I'd rather not bust that limit *too* much, but I can probably sway up to around £1,500.
Thanks,
Alex
I have no experience of ICS but was very happy with NEC for A level maths. Good materials and good tutor support.

Do keep in mind that many subjects have a requirement for assessed coursework or practical examination. (Mathematics doesn't have coursework anymore so you are OK there). As a private candidate you have to sort out somewhere to take exams. Many local schools/colleges will offer that service but they often don't want to get involved with marking your coursework or doing practical exams. It can be very difficult for private students to sort this out so I recommend when you talk to ICS, NEC (or OOL) you ask them how that part of your assessment is going to work.

Have you looked at local adult education part time classes? In my area they would cost about the same as a distance learning programme and they will sort out the exams issues. I would think that they would be a more fun and effective way of learning a language.

Good luck.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why not just a local college, or am I being dumb?
MissyLex
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'd really prefer to go to a local college to do it, but my local college only does maths; no history, german, or French I've been looking all over my area for different colleges but I can't find anywhere else, which is annoying as I'd far prefer to do it in a night school, or part time.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm also looking to study GCSE's but just for GCSE English Language so I can boost my grade up from a D!
It's being done at a local college on a part time basis (Every Wednesday morning)..
cache
Report 9 years ago
Yes, this is possible. I have experience of both Oxford Open Learning and NEC, so I thought I would offer a full pointers. Bear in mind that it is possiuble to pay for the courses gradually, but you will usually need to give an initial deposit. Try to work out when you want to take the exams as new specifications were introduced from September 2009. You will need to take the legacy syllabuses if you want to take the Full Course in 2010.

If you take the exam in 2010, bear in mind that someone will need to authenticate coursework. This is usually done by the tutor. You will need to make your own exam arrangements with a centre. There is a list available here:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php

This is for the 2008 / 2009 academic session, which has now passed, but the information should be updated soon.

From 2009 onwards, coursework is being replaced by Controlled Assessment. This work is carried out under direct supervision from the teacher and is impossible for Private Candidates. This has resulted in many distance learning companies offering IGCSEs as an alternative. This is the International equivelent. They are accepted for University entrance, but can not be taught by UK state schools. The advantage is that they are assessed by 100% exam. Edexcel and CIE are the main providers.

If you need further advice, do post again.
gemmatayloryas!
Report 9 years ago
Thanks,
Alex[/QUOTE]

Hi Alex - I did English and Maths GCSEs last year and it was with ICS, I had no problems a got both pretty cheap online. You should be be able to do your courses within your budget. They have a facebook site where all the students can chat about courses, http://tiny.cc/BWAG5
heres a link. I passed btw! and i kept in touch with my course advisor, so not too bad :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads