Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    141 im calling shens on this site.

ReputationRep:
    The last time I studied intelligence (a long time ago I admit) there were 5 different definitions of the word, I shudder to think how many there are now. And yet people still make money out of designing new ones, and using then to sell all sorts of things. Very few organisations these days make use of IQ tests, they are discredited tools. The process of discrediting these tests started in the 1960's and was effectively complete by the end of the 1970s.

ReputationRep:
    I got 126.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt relise I was being timed(they could have made it clearer!), so I took my time, and ran out of time on question 22, but I still got 106.

This isnt a very good IQ test. The "proper" tests are much harder, and test on more relevant things. BBC's test the nation is much better(not the web version).

ReputationRep:
    126 - better than the average joe...

ReputationRep:
    I did an IQ test like that 2 years ago and got 126 as my score then, can't be bothered to do that one though, hehe. I'm said to be cleaver but I just don't see it because for the last year I've been going to a college that has a load of smart arses at it. Some of them have been a year ahead at school for 2 or 3 years!! I know people that should have just finished their GCSE's but have just finished their A-Levels instead. So now they have all their education finished with unless they want to go to Uni. I wonder what it's like to be that cleaver :confused: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    ha yes, its weird given the fact that it's a forum for students :rolleyes:

Yet i'm sure we would find 'intellects' on forums such as 'YER MA' or 'FUK DIS ****', as apposed to TSR :cool:

In the words of my psychology teacher (addressed to our 6th form class).........

You all are intelligent, which is why you are sitting here..... You all have IQ's around 130, but remember, for every one of you with an IQ of 130, there is someone with an IQ of 70 (some of whom you may find on the 'FUK DIS ****' forum)
    being a student in no way suggests you are clever. I am just pointing out that it is pathetic for people to gloat about having a high IQ, which is probably a lie anyway. I have no idea what the hell you are talking abouts with regards to other forums, but the fact you take joke subjects such as psychology speaks for itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    being a student in no way suggests you are clever. I am just pointing out that it is pathetic for people to gloat about having a high IQ, which is probably a lie anyway. I have no idea what the hell you are talking abouts with regards to other forums, but the fact you take joke subjects such as psychology speaks for itself.
    :rofl: your funny!

Ok, being a student does suggest you are clever, the fact that you are able to cope with studies and get high grades shows this..... Do you see many intellects who drop out of school after or even before GCSE's? (ha, i know Einstien was expelled, but thats a rare occasion LOL). Do you see many people in your 6th form who are unable to read properly (ie, 60 IQ range), or have a mental age much lower than their chronological age?

Also, nobody here is gloating, they simply take a test and comment on their own results.... if someone was gloating then they would receive insult after insult from the senior members of the forum. Most people here dont lie, as they dont need to...

Also, have you actually looked at my other subjects? Obviously not, then you would realise that, in addition to psychology, i take Maths, Physics and ICT (+ GS), lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    :rofl: your funny!

Ok, being a student does suggest you are clever, the fact that you are able to cope with studies and get high grades shows this..... Do you see many intellects who drop out of school after or even before GCSE's? (ha, i know Einstien was expelled, but thats a rare occasion LOL). Do you see many people in your 6th form who are unable to read properly (ie, 60 IQ range), or have a mental age much lower than their chronological age?

Also, nobody here is gloating, they simply take a test and comment on their own results.... if someone was gloating then they would receive insult after insult from the senior members of the forum. Most people here dont lie, as they dont need to...

Also, have you actually looked at my other subjects? Obviously not, then you would realise that, in addition to psychology, i take Maths, Physics and ICT (+ GS), lol..
    ICT is also a dos subject (and obvious GS, although i too am forced to do this rubbish). Being a student suggests that you are not stupid, not that you are clever. Well, actually i am not sure i would even go that far. I would say that A levels arent anywhere near taxing enough for a high level of intelligence to be required to do well.

ReputationRep:
    There are many different people on this website with completely different objectives in life. Just because you're interested in higher education, it doesn't mean that you're clever. There are some universities where I already have reached the UCAS tariff on my Standard Grades.

Also, since when did getting A grades make you intelligent? There are different approaches to reaching them. I know an absolute idiot who worked so hard and struggled on with subjects which he's absolutely terrible at. He'll probably get AABCD. I have had 32 absences, not listened very hard in class, used every excuse in the book for not doing homework and I've done no revision. However, I'll probably get AAAAB. Who's more intelligent?

ReputationRep:
    I only got 96 :stupido2: :congrats: :punk:

ReputationRep:
    Mine's sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    And you're 19 as well. oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    There are many different people on this website with completely different objectives in life. Just because you're interested in higher education, it doesn't mean that you're clever. There are some universities where I already have reached the UCAS tariff on my Standard Grades.

Also, since when did getting A grades make you intelligent? There are different approaches to reaching them. I know an absolute idiot who worked so hard and struggled on with subjects which he's absolutely terrible at. He'll probably get AABCD. I have had 32 absences, not listened very hard in class, used every excuse in the book for not doing homework and I've done no revision. However, I'll probably get AAAAB. Who's more intelligent?

Intelligence is an Encompassing Term

IQ tests, however, are poor indicators of many attributes of this nature. Generally, IQ tests seem to measure common skills and abilities, most of which are acquired in school.

Do you see what this implies?

It implies that the students are prone to a higher IQ, simply because they acquire the skills in school.

• Linguistic intelligence (“word smart”)
    • Logical-mathematical intelligence (“number/reasoning smart”)
    • Spatial intelligence (“picture smart”)
    • Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence (“body smart”)
    • Musical intelligence (“music smart”)
    • Interpersonal intelligence (“people smart”)
    • Intrapersonal intelligence (“self smart”)
    • Naturalist intelligence (“nature smart”)
    If true (check the link provided - see Feldman and Bratton study), then this is clearly evidence to show that you learn to be Intelligent, meaning the students will be the more intelligent one. In every school, students are subject to each of the above type of stimuli, and learn...

http://www.audiblox2000.com/iq/iq02.htm

another site;

IQ alone is no more the measure for success; it only counts for 20%, and the rest goes for Emotional and Social Intelligences, and luck (Goleman, 1995).

http://members.fortunecity.com/nadab...intell2.html#1

So there we have the link between intelligence and Grades, lol

and Dwight66, ICT is a hard subject, considering i have to complete two 200 page coursework based around a company, and i also have to design a suitable system for them. Also, (well tbh the AS exams were easy) the exams are quite hard, you must know your stuff inside out in order to reach the highest grades..

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree that Grades do not show you to be intelligent, as we know through humans and animals that intelligence comes in many forms. Intelligence can also be down to many different things, some people learn to be intelligent through life experiences and schooling wheras there is also significant research that intelligent can be genentic (However this has over time led to practices such as early eugenics so maybe not so great.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    I totally agree that Grades do not show you to be intelligent, as we know through humans and animals that intelligence comes in many forms. Intelligence can also be down to many different things, some people learn to be intelligent through life experiences and schooling wheras there is also significant research that intelligent can be genentic (However this has over time led to practices such as early eugenics so maybe not so great.)

ooh, do you know any sites which have genetic explainations of intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)

Edit: just noticed I'm lower than alot of geeks here
    Don't worry. Quite a few of them have lied :rolleyes: especially since the maximum is about 140 for an 18-year old on that test because of the way it's scaled and since there's a mistake in the test anyway (check question 9: in the correct answers section, the question changes), I think a few people have been telling porkies...

ReputationRep:
    I got 125

ReputationRep:
    129 yey. When sleeeepy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Don't worry. Quite a few of them have lied :rolleyes: especially since the maximum is about 140 for an 18-year old on that test because of the way it's scaled and since there's a mistake in the test anyway (check question 9: in the correct answers section, the question changes), I think a few people have been telling porkies...
    Oh God yeah... Alot of people who are on here have "cocooned" themselves in a virtual world whereby they have responsibility, friends, and an inate sense of intelligence. It's just "rising to peer pressure" and wanting to be "perceived as clever". Who actually is going to care what anyone elses' IQ is? I for one don't give a monkeys... I think the guy who started this thread was being very impulsive and controversial at the time.

EDIT: Sorry zhivago.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.