Student discounts? Watch

a12
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Although id be living on campus for uni in london, il have to use the london trains everyday as i work 3 hours a day in london and need to get the tube. Iv heard a monthly travelcard on tubes for students are over £50!! How will i cope with my rent costs and monthly travel card, is it likely for me to cope??? helpp any advice from anyone?
Anon the 7th
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
natwest bank account give a free railcard i think or something :dontknow:
a12
(Original post by Anon the 7th)
natwest bank account give a free railcard i think or something :dontknow:
yeh i heard that but can a railcard be used with underground trains?
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
not sure, but you could give natwest a ring or check their website to see if the do or not
Alphashadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you get an Oystercard (which will give you cheaper fares than a paper ticket on the Underground, anyway), you can combine it with your Young Persons' Railcard, thus giving you even more off. That's what I've done, and it's definitely worthwhile, if you can.
Just ask at the ticket office of any LU station (it might have to be the one that you got your Oystercard issued at), and they'll do it for you.
a12
(Original post by Alphashadow)
If you get an Oystercard (which will give you cheaper fares than a paper ticket on the Underground, anyway), you can combine it with your Young Persons' Railcard, thus giving you even more off. That's what I've done, and it's definitely worthwhile, if you can.
Just ask at the ticket office of any LU station (it might have to be the one that you got your Oystercard issued at), and they'll do it for you.
so if i open a student account and get a free railcard then combine it with my 18+ oystercard i can go for less on the tube? Is that possible? because i was thinking hte railcard may not be for underground trains.. correct me if im wrong?
Alan_Johnson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the railcard is not valid on the tubes. unfortunately travelling in london is mega expensive, especially for students.
Alphashadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by a12)
so if i open a student account and get a free railcard then combine it with my 18+ oystercard i can go for less on the tube? Is that possible? because i was thinking hte railcard may not be for underground trains.. correct me if im wrong?
I believe so, yes - at least that was the case when I did it last year. It's always best to check though - ask at the ticket office when you get your Oystercard.

You can't use your Railcard by itself on the Underground - it's used by itself for National Rail trains. What you -can- do though, is have it synched with your Oyster, so you can get up to 1/3 (I believe) off, on top of the cheaper fare that an Oystercard will give you anyway.

Make sense now?
a12
I believe so, yes - at least that was the case when I did it last year. It's always best to check though - ask at the ticket office when you get your Oystercard.

You can't use your Railcard by itself on the Underground - it's used by itself for National Rail trains. What you -can- do though, is have it synched with your Oyster, so you can get up to 1/3 (I believe) off, on top of the cheaper fare that an Oystercard will give you anyway.

Make sense now?
yeh got u, so how much do u pay woth all the discount, for a monthly travel on the tube?
Alphashadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That I can't answer, I'm afraid - I only have Pay As You Go on Oyster, as I didn't use it heaps during last year.

It's best to ask at the ticket office, I think. You can also have monthly travelcards put on your Oystercard - but I've no idea about the discount aspects of that as I've never used one.

Whereabouts would you be travelling from and to?
a12
That I can't answer, I'm afraid - I only have Pay As You Go on Oyster, as I didn't use it heaps during last year.

It's best to ask at the ticket office, I think. You can also have monthly travelcards put on your Oystercard - but I've no idea about the discount aspects of that as I've never used one.

Whereabouts would you be travelling from and to?
from and to london zone 1-4
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads