Biomedical Science degree: Accredited vs. Non-accredited route Watch

korrelialorens
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm in quite a dilemma! I'm going to be 2nd year Biomed student and I'll have to make a choice between the IBMS accredited or non-accredited route for the Biomed degree. I have already come across the fact that following the accredited option makes you automatically elligible for a work placement or future career in the NHS, whereas the non-accredited route would be more suitable for someone not necessarity targeting a carreer in the NHS but rather one in research or teaching. I'm still not sure however in choosing, since the accredited offers more practical case-study work throughout the year whereas the non-accredited one is more focused on medicinal chemistry and other more "theoretical"/drug-design based modules. What would you recommend for someone that is more interested in heading for a career in medical reseach or in a pharmaceutical company but is also considering neurology (especially, neuromuscular diseases) as a postgrad (medical) degree?

Any advice/help needed ASAP + sorry for the HUGE message posted...
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i do drug-design based module and my degree is accredited :p:, the accredited route is not just for those that are looking for career with in the NHS, it can lead to research or teaching :p: likewise a non accredited degree can be looked at by the IBMS and become accredited if they see fit, for grad route into medicine degree, accredited or non accredited, both with carry the same weight you won't be at an advantage for doing one or the other, thats more about your results and other stuff

i would take the route i think i would enjoy the most, and a accredited degree is something to fall back on, if you like the medicinal chemistry then that could be a way to go , again we have been told by people at uni research as for master or phd come down to each person and the area they want to do it in, not to sure about the amount they have to cover in there degree, working for a pharmaceutical company we have had people from my course go on to do that with a accredited degree (sorry this may end up not being much help :o: ) for research a PG should be able to tell you more
dances_with_lamposts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would go for the accredited route, it opens up more options for you in the future. (i did an accredited bms degree a few years ago)
Mi02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

I'm think to apply for Biomedical Science in uni. But I don't know should I apply for accredited or non accredited universities? Can u give me some advises please? Should I apply an industry year? Cuz I'm thinking do a master degree after anyway.
Also I want to ask is it a good degree? Is it hard to find a placement and job? Can I study PGCE course after to become a Biology/Chemistry teacher after?

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (268)
38.45%
No - but I will (47)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.32%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.49%

Watched Threads