I've met the perfect guy BUT he is quite a lot older than I am Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have met the most lovely guy :love:

HOWEVER, there is a problem- I'm 21 and he is 35...it's quite a difference and I think my parents would hit the roof :o:

I think I should end it now, but then I think well...why should I, age is only a number and we aren't using each other :dontknow:

I know for the future the gap would become an issue, but for now its fun....so why not?

Would you be disgusted if a friend of yours, who was 21 dated a 35 year old??
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't be disgusted. Sounds ok to me. How did you meet?
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If i knew they were serious about one another, and the guy wasnt using my friend then i would be fine about it. Age is pretty arbitary when it comes to relationships, if two consenting adults find they have a connection age shouldnt really be an issue within reason.
rob6709
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Seeing as most of my friends are blokes id give them a pat on the back followed by a "get in there".
Jinxy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my mum and dad have a 15 year gap. they lasted for 18 years and met when my mum was 20.
Charzhino
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Before I opened this thread I guessed the maximum age difference would be 6-7 years....
chigz32
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dude, if its love, its love...
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
dw about the age if he's what you want
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Humm, ask me 6months ago I woulda said at 21 I had a relationship with a guy in his thirties, it grew from a sweet friendship, we had a nice relationship. Tons in common, got on well, really felt like it fit for a while, then the spark just fizzled out, as I wasn't really ready to settle down and wanted to live somemore. (The guy was a very homly person, liked cosy nights in, movies and junk food..I felt I wanted to go out clubing, out for meals, etc.)

However a couple months ago I found out lots of really bad, bad secrets about the person, that I really don't want to disclose here, making the whole thing look like a big lie and a sham.

So um, all I can get from it is, the older someone is, remember they have lived more, learnt more, and will probably be a lot harder to understand, and you will possibly want different things from life.
Then again even with someone your own age, how much can you ever truely know them if they want to hide soemthing, so it has all the same risks.

As far as friends judging you, most won't admit it till after you break up! You might get the odd strange comment, but they are probably just trying to look out for you, or be light hearted. If anyone seriously has a problem with it, they are not a true friend, or know sometihng you don't!
EmiiCYBER
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Surely at 21, you're an adult and can make your own decisions about your love life, without your parents having to interfere? I say 'go for it' I mean, what harm can it do really?
learner_dancer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have met the most lovely guy :love:

HOWEVER, there is a problem- I'm 21 and he is 35...it's quite a difference and I think my parents would hit the roof :o:

I think I should end it now, but then I think well...why should I, age is only a number and we aren't using each other :dontknow:

I know for the future the gap would become an issue, but for now its fun....so why not?

Would you be disgusted if a friend of yours, who was 21 dated a 35 year old??
Doesn't sound disgusting to me at all. My parents have a 15 year age difference between them. Back in the olden days men used to date/marry women 30 years their junior!

If you think he's the right one for you- go for it.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you feel like its working then don't end it. Your parents may get used to it. I was with a guy for a year and a half 2 years ago and it worked out ok.
kcfch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
14 year age gap is fine. Its not like its a 50 year age gap or soemthing! If you get on well with each other and connect well, theres no reason why age should stop you. Like you said, age is nothing but a number.
Destiny2006
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if its any consolation i know of a girl that was in my year at school who is 19 and has been dating her french teacher who is 50. This teacher has a family of 4 and the kids arent old..like 12 - 16 and he has a wife!!! they have been together for a year and a half. just be cautious. if u think its right then go for it
Tuppenny
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It might matter if you are still together in a few years, and things like marriage and kids start to be discussed, but if you are sure it's the right thing for you then there is no reason why you shouldn't be with the guy.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks guys :love:

I mean Id usually be so sceptical about this, but ive never experienced anything like it...we can talk for hours and hours, make each other laugh loads. Its crazy, but thank you for your opinions, I just wanted some opinions from people on the "outside" if you will

Thank you :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.37%
No - but I will (17)
5.4%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.89%

Watched Threads