Never been to a club Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It is a long story, but yes, I've never been to a club / pub etc.

I've read a few threads and I think the advice is to take the drink slowly and know the limits.

I just want to know stuff about drinks etc. I can't find any solid information of what stuff tastes like, e.g. what does vodka taste like etc and what does different mixes taste like. I want to enjoy freshers and try to blend in without anyone knowing hehehe so just some general info is all good.

Also, I have a gf going to a different uni. We are staying together but does that mean I can't dance with girls? Not that I can't dance, nor that I really want to, but what is your advice on that as well. Cheers.
BlocFFC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Drinking - Beer, Lager etc will probably require you to acquire a taste for. Though, perhaps a Fosters Top will be a good starter.

Vodka or any other spirits on own are strong so throw in mixers like Lemonade, Lime, Soda etc.

Dancing - If you are staying faithful then you can dance with girls, no grinding though!
Anon the 7th
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just go and try it

this should tell you if you like it or not

ive been clubbing a few times, but its not my cup of tea really

some alcohol has a strong taste, other alcohol tastes disgusting

and yeah dance but dont grind or touch if you have a gf :p:
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Vodka tastes like absolute ****. Like peppery water? Hmmm.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Spirits taste rancid when you first start drinking

Don't start on anything hardcore like whiskey, tequila, vodka, aftershocks

Stick to beer and wine initially and cider they all have a really nice taste
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you don't drink much and have a girlfriend then don't go mad in freshers because we all do stupid things when drunk.

You can dance with other girls, just don't do any more than that.

I recommend sticking with beer, cider and alcopops since they aren't very strong. Don't move on to heavier things like Vodka and Wine till you know how much you can take.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I've read a few threads and I think the advice is to take the drink slowly and know the limits.
Essentially, yes, if this is your first time having a proper drinking "session", I'd go easy. Avoid excessive amounts of pure spirits, especially sambuca. If you don't like beer ask for an alcopop like VK or WKD. They taste like fizzy fruit pop. Quite nice really.

I just want to know stuff about drinks etc. I can't find any solid information of what stuff tastes like, e.g. what does vodka taste like etc and what does different mixes taste like. I want to enjoy freshers and try to blend in without anyone knowing hehehe so just some general info is all good.
Hm, tricky. Vodka by itself tastes pretty rank unless your rather drunk, then the taste doesn't register. When mixed with coke the taste is really not distinguishable. When Malibu is mixed with coke it produces a sweeter drink. When whisky, e.g. Bell's, Jim Beam, is mixed with coke it makes it taste less sweet and more alcoholy and peppery.

Also, I have a gf going to a different uni. We are staying together but does that mean I can't dance with girls? Not that I can't dance, nor that I really want to, but what is your advice on that as well. Cheers.
That's really your business. I don't think your girlfriend will approve if you're grinding your stonking hard-on against some randomer. But it's a club, I think if you're going your girlfriend should expect you to dance with other people. Just be sensible.

Also: if you feel the urge to puke, you'd better get it over and done with. Storing it up is rarely a good idea.
Anonymous #1
Ok cheers people. How exactly do you order a vodka though like and get it mixed with lemonade.

What types of spirits are there?

I think the strongest think i've had was whisky and is still tasted disgusting with coke but I really liked WKD.
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Vodka tastes like absolute ****. Like peppery water? Hmmm.
I think it tastes nice. :dontknow:
Crumbles91
Report 9 years ago
Take it slowly, and just find out the reps of the clubs and pubs around you - where to get the cheapest drinks etc.

I haven't gone out properly in ages but I'd say just try and find the scene that suits you best, and remember it is defo more fun with your drunk but not overly so... Me, I'm a lightweight :lol: , and with a good set of friends

Don't get carried away - just enjoy yourself
0le
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Never!.
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok cheers people. How exactly do you order a vodka though like and get it mixed with lemonade.

I think the strongest think i've had was whisky and is still tasted disgusting with coke but I really liked WKD.

Never touch WKD again.

Srsly - EVER.

And you just ask for a vodka and lemonade.

Shots come in 25ml amounts, so if you ask for a vodka lemonade you'll get 25ml of vodka, the rest lemonade.

Or if they ask you if you want it to be a double, if you say yes they'll put in 50ml of vodka.

You can say vodka and lemonade, vodka coke, vodka ... and tonic? Most soft things really.
_Fleur_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Vodka... well, imagine pouring a mild-ish paint stripper down your throat and that's pretty much what it tastes like if you drink it straight. Vomit-inducing, for me anyway. In a club/bar/pub you'd ask for a vodka/SoCo/JD/whatever & orange/coke/cranberry/lemonade and it'd taste fine as the measure of vodka in it is pretty minimal.

As for the dancing bit, I have absolutely no respect for people who chose to stay with their boyfriend/girlfriend when they go to different universities, so I can't help you there.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

"Vodka and coke please". Or lemonade. Or whatever.

Spirits:

Mixery stuff: Malibu rum, vodka, whisky. To be mixec with coke or whatever, or drunk neat if you're that way inclined.

Non mixery stuff, to be done in shots. Not for novices: vodka, tequila, aftershock, sambuca...
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by djpailo)
Never!.
Hmmm.

I love being tipsy.

You're just happy and talkative. Slower reaction, feel a bit lighter. It's ******* obvious tbh.
mibix
Report 9 years ago
Drink lager. if its about 5% it's usually a nice beer, but it will get you quite drunk after a few! so something like Carlsberg, Carling or Fosters is a good starting point (4%). Not quite as nice as things like Warsteiner (the best beer in the world), Carlsberg-Export, Grolsch or Heineken though but you probobly need to aquire a taste.
TI-84
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just ask for vodka redbulls.
End of.
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Taste is pretty subjective everyone seems to think differently, but here is how I taste it ;p

Vodka+Coke - tastes like cheap flat coke that you left out and it went a bit ergh
Malibu+coke tastes like if you eat a bounty bar and wash it down with cola, but nicer, sweet and heavenly yumyumyum
Blue WKD - tastes like blue icepops EXACTLY
Orange VK - orange ice pops..get the theme yet :rofl:
Any other alcopop like the icepop of the same colour, or panda pop, some are rank, like k2 and vhf, stick to WKD and VK for taste
smirnoff ice - fairy washingup liquid..until you get used to it..then its like bitter lemon squash
whisky/rum/any other dark spirit on it's own - ERGHHHH
Aftershock/sambuca/other fav shots - usually aniseedy or similar
Neat vodka - tasteless burning fire, more expensive ones have some nasty aftertaste too
Southern Comfort Lime+Lemonade - refreshers sweets - but a double makes it taste bad
amaretto+coke again a bit liek refreshers sweet and sickly but also a bit creamy
tia maria and coke - bit like malibu and coke but more fruity
redbull + vodka - puke and then makes your heart race but your drunk and its awful!

I tend to find coke the best mixer as it masks the taste of the alcohol better, using fresh orange and stuff just doesn't make a good taste to me unless it is some special cocktail

You will learn what you like soon enough if you want to, and what makes you insta-sick (I can't touch bacardi!)

I think beer/larger is disguisting until you are tipsy then it tastes like water to me

Cider a little more tasty, and cider+black, or snakebite black can be nice to sip

Beware with alcopops you can't taste the alcohol so end up drinking loads when you are getting dehydrated/thirsty, then the fizz just makes you all bloated, so try think what you are doing.
I am a bad girl and after a few alcopops don't want the fizzy bloat, yet am still thirsty, so think drinking shots is the way forward (it isn't don't do this till you are veteran haha)

Think long and hard before you start drinking and going to clubs a lot though, once you are on that track, kinda hard to turn back. Don't do it just to blend in, after a bit of initial micky-taking no one will keep on about or, or care if you stick to soft drinks all night, as long as you join in and be chatty and get up and dance when others do.

Oh and if you do go that route, make your first ever shot an apple sourz, for me, it is so tasty hehe

On the gf issue, i'm massive jealous type so would get really upset if my bf danced with another girl one on one especially if they were a stranger in a club, ask her what her limits are BEFORE (not after)
TheBlindestPilot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Screw drinking, bang a few lines of mdma if you want to enjoy a club properly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by princessmarisa)
Taste is pretty subjective everyone seems to think differently, but here is how I taste it ;p

Vodka+Coke - tastes like cheap flat coke that you left out and it went a bit ergh
Malibu+coke tastes like if you eat a bounty bar and wash it down with cola, but nicer, sweet and heavenly yumyumyum
Blue WKD - tastes like blue icepops EXACTLY
Orange VK - orange ice pops..get the theme yet :rofl:
Any other alcopop like the icepop of the same colour, or panda pop, some are rank, like k2 and vhf, stick to WKD and VK for taste
smirnoff ice - fairy washingup liquid..until you get used to it..then its like bitter lemon squash
whisky/rum/any other dark spirit on it's own - ERGHHHH
Aftershock/sambuca/other fav shots - usually aniseedy or similar
Neat vodka - tasteless burning fire, more expensive ones have some nasty aftertaste too
Southern Comfort Lime+Lemonade - refreshers sweets - but a double makes it taste bad
amaretto+coke again a bit liek refreshers sweet and sickly but also a bit creamy
tia maria and coke - bit like malibu and coke but more fruity
redbull + vodka - puke and then makes your heart race but your drunk and its awful!

I tend to find coke the best mixer as it masks the taste of the alcohol better, using fresh orange and stuff just doesn't make a good taste to me unless it is some special cocktail

You will learn what you like soon enough if you want to, and what makes you insta-sick (I can't touch bacardi!)

I think beer/larger is disguisting until you are tipsy then it tastes like water to me

Cider a little more tasty, and cider+black, or snakebite black can be nice to sip

Beware with alcopops you can't taste the alcohol so end up drinking loads when you are getting dehydrated/thirsty, then the fizz just makes you all bloated, so try think what you are doing.
I am a bad girl and after a few alcopops don't want the fizzy bloat, yet am still thirsty, so think drinking shots is the way forward (it isn't don't do this till you are veteran haha)

Think long and hard before you start drinking and going to clubs a lot though, once you are on that track, kinda hard to turn back. Don't do it just to blend in, after a bit of initial micky-taking no one will keep on about or, or care if you stick to soft drinks all night, as long as you join in and be chatty and get up and dance when others do.

Oh and if you do go that route, make your first ever shot an apple sourz, for me, it is so tasty hehe

On the gf issue, i'm massive jealous type so would get really upset if my bf danced with another girl one on one especially if they were a stranger in a club, ask her what her limits are BEFORE (not after)
That has helped tons cheers. I myself am the jealous type, and even right now, my gf is clubbing and says she has never danced with any guys ever before. Is there anyway u cope with ur jealousy and/or mis-trust?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed