Turn on thread page Beta

Songs that should never be covered! watch

ReputationRep:
    My pick is Bohemion Rhapsody. Damn G4!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Teenage kicks by the undertones, damn Busted
    Sitting on the dock of the bay by otis redding.
    all day and all of the night, damn you The Stranglers.

*shakes fist*

ReputationRep:
    lol they're not that bad....

ReputationRep:
    love will tear us apart, Joy division

ReputationRep:
    Any Michael Jackson song, imagine if Thriller or Billy Jean got covered?!?

I totally agree about Bohemian Rhapsody, What were they thinking :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Smooth Criminal - MJ
    Damn Ant Farm
    *hey, this is fun*

ReputationRep:
    Any Smiths songs- damn TATU- covered 'How Soon Is Now' and its awful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma2587)
    Any Michael Jackson song, imagine if Thriller or Billy Jean got covered?!?

I totally agree about Bohemian Rhapsody, What were they thinking :confused:
    Ian Brown covered Billie Jean..............and it is terrible!

ReputationRep:
    Radiohead songs generally aren't coverable. Hang your heads in shame, the Darkness, Jamie Cullum and G4, amongst others. And don't get me started on Sproutface Cullum's version of Lover, You Should Have Come Over.

ReputationRep:
    Cant remember who did the cover, but some jackass covered Boys Dont Cry by the Cure - disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    I think that was [spunge] or a similar band.
    the sampling of bowies ashes to ashes in a samantha mumba song was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The Caesars did a rather good cover of boys don't cry when i saw them.
    The La's - There she goes should never have been covered by sixpence none the richer. An interesting piece of trivia about that song i was told today is that the the la's singer hated the song and was so disgusted by its reaching number 1 that he left the band which seems a tad extreme to me

ReputationRep:
    anything is fair game

ReputationRep:
    Three done by G4, there gilt was a one off and should have been a novelty;
    Bohemian Rhapsody Queen
    Everybody Hurts R.E.M (damn the Corrs aswell)
    Creep Radiohead

ReputationRep:
    If you cant interpret your favourite music how you like it, then your taking away part of the fun.

Youve got to learn to walk, you do that by playing covers. Naturally you want to play the songs you like, so popularity will figure in this. Of course the standard of the cover can be called into question, which is what i think the real issue here is.

G4's cover marketing works on granny's, they are richer than i am because of it. You can't begrudge them what they make off it.

ReputationRep:
    Chop Suey - System of a Down! Should never EVER be covered its fab as it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor Mysterio)
    My pick is Bohemion Rhapsody. Damn G4!!!!!!!!!
    thats just hilarious to watch and listen to

ReputationRep:
    aything by Queen should not be covered by anyone

ReputationRep:
    No songs should ever be covered if the resultant song is of a near-identical arrangement to the original - Music is an expressive art, and there is no expression in covering word for word someone elses work with just a different voice singing.
    I give an example for you which is "Help" by Deep Purple - a cover of the beatles classic, which is the only cover the beatles have EVER recognised, as, despite the words being the same it is a very different song...exasperating a more desperate and unhappy side to the lyrics.
    e.g. "every breath you take" by the police was covered almost identically by puff daddy (with a tiny rap in the middle), and no one even knows who did the original...its a disgrace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    The La's - There she goes should never have been covered by sixpence none the richer. An interesting piece of trivia about that song i was told today is that the the la's singer hated the song and was so disgusted by its reaching number 1 that he left the band which seems a tad extreme to me
    I just thought it was funny that a Christian band who promoted living a virtuous life etc. covered a song that was about pumping your veins full of drugs. Maybe it was lost on them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.