5 Year Couse Watch

Ameen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I'm considering applying for a 5 year course in French, with a year spent in France.

I was wondering do the Student Finance company cover me for all 5 years, in regards to the Tuition Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant.

The year spent in France will be free from tuition and I'll receive a grant from ERASMUS, but will I still get a Maintenance Loan and Grant while I'm abroad?

Thanks
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ameen)
Hi,

I'm considering applying for a 5 year course in French, with a year spent in France.

I was wondering do the Student Finance company cover me for all 5 years, in regards to the Tuition Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant.

The year spent in France will be free from tuition and I'll receive a grant from ERASMUS, but will I still get a Maintenance Loan and Grant while I'm abroad?

Thanks
Hello

Yes they do- but you don't pay tuition fees during your Erasmus year if you spend the whole year abroad, afaik. So you receive maintenance loan/grant like usual during your ERASMUS year.

But that's an unusual course, 5 years of French, it's usually 4 at undergraduate. Unless you're considering a Scottish university perchance?
butchered_wyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They will cover you for as long as you are a student...and obviously you prove you are one not sure about the abroad part, but I would imagine so
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ameen)
Hi,

Thanks
I am currently studying Biology with French, 5 year course with a year in France, just going into 2nd year... Shocking to say but I don't really know how the finances work for the year when we are abroad tbh... will you be going to a uni, or working? I will be working as at St Andrews if we go to a uni in france, we only do a 4 year degree, and all the grades we get in france are our 3rd year honour grades, and thus contributes to 50% of our degree, so I don't want to risk that, cos I know there's no way I'm going to be getting the grades I want studying Biology in french in france for the first couple of months at least... so yeh I'm going to be working... and I really don't know what difference this makes... I'll be finding out soon though, go back to uni at the end of this week, and we'll be having all sorts of information things for getting our yr abroad all organised etc, so when I find anything out, I'll let you know!

Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophie_c)
I am currently studying Biology with French, 5 year course with a year in France, just going into 2nd year... Shocking to say but I don't really know how the finances work for the year when we are abroad tbh... will you be going to a uni, or working? I will be working as at St Andrews if we go to a uni in france, we only do a 4 year degree, and all the grades we get in france are our 3rd year honour grades, and thus contributes to 50% of our degree, so I don't want to risk that, cos I know there's no way I'm going to be getting the grades I want studying Biology in french in france for the first couple of months at least... so yeh I'm going to be working... and I really don't know what difference this makes... I'll be finding out soon though, go back to uni at the end of this week, and we'll be having all sorts of information things for getting our yr abroad all organised etc, so when I find anything out, I'll let you know!

Hmmm...maybe scottish universities are different in terms of funding for the year abroad. But the uni websites for English universities state that you are entitled to a full grant and maintenance loan for the year- and you don't pay tuition fees that year either, as long as you are away for the whole year. And you may be entitled to other funding as well. See website for King's College London
sophie_c
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fillette)
Hmmm...maybe scottish universities are different in terms of funding for the year abroad. But the uni websites for English universities state that you are entitled to a full grant and maintenance loan for the year- and you don't pay tuition fees that year either, as long as you are away for the whole year. And you may be entitled to other funding as well. See website for King's College London
Is that for if you are working, or studying at a uni in france? AsI know if you're studying you get you're fees paid, and still get the loan and grant etc as normal, as you do when studying at home, as it's more like an exchange between the unis... but thing i'm wondering is do we get a loan for working?! Considering I have no idea what sort of pay we're meant to expect... I do know that if we stay in the EU we're entitled to a grant from the uni, so that's cool.

Thanks a lot! I guess I'll be finding out pretty soon anyway!
Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophie_c)
Is that for if you are working, or studying at a uni in france? AsI know if you're studying you get you're fees paid, and still get the loan and grant etc as normal, as you do when studying at home, as it's more like an exchange between the unis... but thing i'm wondering is do we get a loan for working?! Considering I have no idea what sort of pay we're meant to expect... I do know that if we stay in the EU we're entitled to a grant from the uni, so that's cool.

Thanks a lot! I guess I'll be finding out pretty soon anyway!

Yes, I think the not-having-to-pay tuition fees rule only applies if you get a study placement at a French university! But that probably won't affect you anyway, as you're going to St. A's and you don't have to worry about tuition fees :mad: :p:

But yes, there are plenty of grants/bursaries available though to help you throughout the year- even via schemes from the EU
sophie_c
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fillette)
Yes, I think the not-having-to-pay tuition fees rule only applies if you get a study placement at a French university! But that probably won't affect you anyway, as you're going to St. A's and you don't have to worry about tuition fees :mad: :p:

But yes, there are plenty of grants/bursaries available though to help you throughout the year- even via schemes from the EU
Haha yes.. :o: tis a bit of a bonus...

Yeh it should be fine I'm thinking, as long as I work hard next summer, and find a cheap flat over there! It should be good, and I'm really glad I took the work options as I think the stress of doing Biology honours in a foreign language would be a bit much, bit too stressful! lol ...

Thanks a lot forall your info!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads