Swear filter Watch

Poll: Swearing on TSR
Why not? (27)
46.55%
To a certain extent... (16)
27.59%
Won't somebody think of the children?!?! (15)
25.86%
jpye11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What is up with the swear filter on this site????

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume most students are 18+ or at least 16+... So surely we can handle modern language?

Yeah???
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jpye11)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume most students are 18+ or at least 16+... So surely we can handle modern language?

Yeah???
All I know is **** ******* ******** ****** **** **** ****** ***** ***** ******-***** ******* ***** **** ******* ******** ****** **** **** ****** ***** ***** *********** ******* ********* ******* ******** ****** **** **** ****** ***** ***** ******-***** ******* ********* ******* ******** ****** **** **** ****** ***** ***** ******-***** ******* *****, amongst over swear words/phrases are censored.

Anyway, cool story bro/pics or it didn't happen, depending on which is most applicable.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Yeah???
Most, perhaps, but not all users will be 16+, and even then I'd say that TSR's policy on swearing is a good thing as it prevents the majority of discussions getting overly abusive, when they otherwise might do in some cases.

If you really want to be able to swear, you could always sub and get access to the Back Room...
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Yeah???
A sizable proportion of TSR's userbase attend secondary schools, sixth forms and colleges that would block pages containing inappropriate content, e.g. swearing. The swear filter, and the work the moderation team does to keep the site a suitable place to visit for younger students, ensures that the fantastic academic resources that TSR offers, don't get blocked by overzealous school proxy servers.
jpye11
Rep:
?
I got warned for posting this thread... Says it all really...
jpye11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
A sizable proportion of TSR's userbase attend secondary schools, sixth forms and colleges that would block pages containing inappropriate content, e.g. swearing. The swear filter, and the work the moderation team does to keep the site a suitable place to visit for younger students, ensures that the fantastic academic resources that TSR offers, don't get blocked by overzealous school proxy servers.
Good point - Perhaps we could have a "Current students" section along with the regular site?

Ah well... I guess it doesn't really matter...
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good point - Perhaps we could have a "Current students" section along with the regular site?

Ah well... I guess it doesn't really matter...
That wouldn't really work unless there was a whole separate website with swearing allowed - otherwise swearing in one (publicly available) part of the site could well cause the whole of TSR to be blocked.
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got warned for posting this thread... Says it all really...
That seems a bit far. I've to know why.
But we get told off if we dare discuss why we were warned, which I think is stupid from what I can tell. Perhaps there's some logic I've missed:confused:
kultist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most schools and many colleges block TSR now anyway, because they realise that when you prevent people from looking on facebook, blogs, youtube, myspace, forums of every kind, messenger and games of all varieties productivity increases manyfold. What I found is that people ***** and cry about it until pretty much everything non productive is gone, because when that happens you find you can no longer TSR a long boring psych coursework or computing coursework lesson away. So you do work instead.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kultist)
Most schools and many colleges block TSR now anyway, because they realise that when you prevent people from looking on facebook, blogs, youtube, myspace, forums of every kind, messenger and games of all varieties productivity increases manyfold. What I found is that people ***** and cry about it until pretty much everything non productive is gone, because when that happens you find you can no longer TSR a long boring psych coursework or computing coursework lesson away. So you do work instead.
:dontknow: I know what you're saying, but I don't make the rules... that's Acumen's job. I'm merely the messenger! :p:

[EDIT] I do agree with the swear filter being there, though, even if not for the business reason behind the policy. There's hundreds of thousands of words in the English language. As intelligent students, surely we can communicate our thoughts without using swear words?
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:dontknow: I know what you're saying, but I don't make the rules... that's Acumen's job. I'm merely the messenger! :p:

[EDIT] I do agree with the swear filter being there, though, even if not for the business reason behind the policy. There's hundreds of thousands of words in the English language. As intelligent students, surely we can communicate our thoughts without using swear words?
I take offence to that, I am not an intelligent student, swear words are my only real way of expressing deep emotions (which could be why I'm single...)
Hubert Poo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The filter is there for reasons outlined by MV and Illusionary. It's important to cut the Back Room off from the discussion though I think and look at it academically. Acumen need to co-operate with educational establishments, not alienate them. If you think about it, without the filter engaged, which can technically be easily disabled, the site would very quickly lurch toward a different strata of acceptance; it's all too easy to say "swearing is here, it's just covered by the filter" but that is actually the point. The issue is not that swearing should not be used, but that it should not be seen. The site's entire material acceptance would change instantly. The company is arguably not in the habit of urinating with abandon on its own doorstep. Further to all that, if you look into it, swearing is still a pretty sensitive issue within education (I myself swear on occasion for emphasis or when angered, so I'm not innocent of the fact it's everywhere, certainly) and it's within TSR's rationale to play to that ground, not attempt to dictate it. Common sense and careful business, in actuality.

Seeing as there is opportunity for an aside, I feel compelled at this point to moan annoyingly at the fact that there has been a significant increase in filter cheats over the past six months. Please let the filter do the work. It's a really stupid warning to get and like arson and petty maiming of animals is for psychopaths, so the filter is for our beloved professional trolls. :gah:
wes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Yeah???
Actually the last stats I saw said that the average user age on here was 17, ang getting lower. (I feel old now...).

But anyway, as has been said, the filter is mostly there to keep TSR "respectable"/"acceptable" in terms of school filtering and the like. Getting blocked in schools would have a very detrimental effect on the site :p:
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I could undertand the policy behind the filter if words such as "shag" and "piss" were added to it; it seems stupid that the "s" word (a.k.a crap) is filtered when other, arguably worse ones, are not. :confused:
Hasan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The swear filter can be bypassed :ninja:

*Prepares to get warned*
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hasan)
The swear filter can be bypassed :ninja:

*Prepares to get warned*
Not without being warned, it can't.
G50
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why not make it optional? Kids can keep it on if it means that'll allow them to surf TSR at school...
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by G50)
Why not make it optional? Kids can keep it on if it means that'll allow them to surf TSR at school...
It's possible to view threads without logging in though, and if swearing was allowed when logged as a user of a certain age, who's to say that people would necessarily be truthful about their age?
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
It's possible to view threads without logging in though, and if swearing was allowed when logged as a user of a certain age, who's to say that people would necessarily be truthful about their age?
Isn't it more about having the choice? I think he meant that if a kid doesn't want to see the swear words then he/she can choose to have them filtered; maybe that could be the "default setting" and then for those who couldn't care less they could just switch the filter off. Makes sense; a lot of the mod's time is probably wasted warning members who swear and if it doesn't actually offend anybody then it's kind of pointless.
G50
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
Have it on by default. Off if you can verify your user account (through university email, for example, like PS Helpers have to do).

Disregarding everything else (as I just proposed a solution), as for the moral, "won't someone think of the children", aspect... People, you do realize there's a world of FILTH at the fingertips of anyone connected to the net? A little swearing on TSR is hardly anything any adults should be worrying about. If your kid's on the net, s/he's already seen loads of filth, no matter how closely you monitor their use (unless you're literally constantly there, which is just a bit sad IMO). Admit it, we all know ourselves that access to internet = goodbye childhood innocence. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (355)
37.57%
No - but I will (74)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise