Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I apparently haven't been taught properly for mechanics and have no idea about a lot of what's happening, the fact that the book gives no relevant examples to the harder questions in each section doesn't help much either, was wondering if anybody could help me with this:

"A cylindrical rock of mass 12kg is being pulled by a cable up a deep vertical shaft with rough sides, the tension in the cable is a constant 1520N for the first part of the operation which takes 2 minutes to complete, and lifts the rock 1440 metres"

Calculate the resisting force, assumed constant, due to friction from the sides of the shaft"

I though surely that as there is no acceleration, F-T = 0, and therefore the friction would be 1520N - (12 x 9.8). But the book answer is 4000 something.

Any help solving it and explaining whats going on very much appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know there is no acceleration?

Also, if it is moving upwards then friction must be acting downwards. This can't be more than the 1520N of the tension in the cable, since then it would not move. Are you sure you checked the right question and answer?

ReputationRep:
    Well it doesn't specifically say "there is no acceleration" but it says that the 1520N tension is constant.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and F=ma, i.e. if there is a resultant force (which there may be) then it would be accelerating. So it is continually moving and doesn't start from rest? If this is one of those adapted questions, they are often rather rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i typed the answer wrong - it is 1400N in the book, which still makes no sense.

The way i worked it out (ie f-t = ma) comes out with 1402.6 N

Surely the distance it travelled and time taken have some relevance though, i just don't see how?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought (they wouldn't give you the distance and time taken otherwise) that it starts from rest and accelerates.

Therefore, average v= 1440/120 = 12
    final v=2*12=24
    a=24/120=1.2ms^-2
    1520-12g-F=ma=12(1.2)
    1520-12(9.8)-12(1.2)=F=1400N

That's my reckoning of the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that actually makes good sense, this book an absolute piece of crap when it comes to wording questions, literally every other question needs an analysis of what is actually going on :mad:

Nice one mate.

ReputationRep:
    Is it the OCR book? I only do ones that have OCR written in brackets.. I don't even do OCR adapted questions, since they've normally been adapted beyond comprehension.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.