How to make friends while travelling Watch

wilko1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
On Monday I'm going interrailing for 5 weeks mostly by myself. Is it easy to meet folk in hostels? And can any replies quote me so I know someone has replied. Thanks.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wilko1991)
On Monday I'm going interrailing for 5 weeks mostly by myself. Is it easy to meet folk in hostels? And can any replies quote me so I know someone has replied. Thanks.
Always go into communal areas and be open for a chat, thats my advise. Take a book with you or something so it isn't awkward :p:
claireythepinkfairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went interrailling by myself and tended to choose hostels with bars, because its easier to meet people. You just go up to people and say hi or "do you mind if I come sit with you guys".
wilko1991
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by claireythepinkfairy)
I went interrailling by myself and tended to choose hostels with bars, because its easier to meet people. You just go up to people and say hi or "do you mind if I come sit with you guys".
Yea, thats my plan with the whole hostel pub thing. And I'm pretty good and meeting folk I think. If I'm ever lonely I'll just go the pub and get really drunk anyway.
newman24x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by claireythepinkfairy)
It's great if the people that your greet responds back but it will be such a ******* embarrassing if they just shun you like that lol
owh well
gigantor
Report 9 years ago
Yea, thats my plan with the whole hostel pub thing. And I'm pretty good and meeting folk I think. If I'm ever lonely I'll just go the pub and get really drunk anyway.
Aye, i went 2 Auz n NZ a few years back, 1st night bumped into a random irish guy on the stairs, he said him and few others were goin 2 pub so i joined. In a few other places just pretty much go up and start talkin, 99.99% of the people travelling are wanting to meet new people so its very easy.
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are totally different social rules when you're travelling, you'll be fine. As long as you are open to chatting to people there is no way you're not going to meet people - I just go up to people, say hi, if they're on the own ask if I can sit with them etc... and just generally find some reason to talk to them, whereas at home I would look very odd turning up in coffee shops trying to befriend lone people! Always pick hostels which have been rated highly for being social and having lots of communal areas... bigger dorms are better as there are more people, and go for mixed (if you're a girl) as then you double the potential people you could click with because a lot of planning etc goes on in groups formed in the dorm.

The one thing I'd say is that I've always found it harder to meet people in big cities. It might just be my luck, but I found Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong to be the most difficult places in Asia to befriend people whereas in smaller towns at hostels, on trains and busses etc I had no problems at all. I think in cities a lot of people are either starting or ending their trip meaning everyone is really occupied with other things and isn't in the same travelling frame of mind as they are when you're already on the road somewhere. I had the same experiences in Europe, and to an extent the USA too. So don't be put off if you don't instantly meet people in huge cities, just get a train and go somewhere else then you'll meet people on the train. Although again, I could just have very bad luck in cities!
Paved_Paradise
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You'll be absolutely fine - it's so easy to meet new people while you're travelling. Just don't be afraid to start up conversations with people, particularly in bars, or in tour groups. Or if you meet some people while out on a tour of some kind, don't be afraid to suggest going for dinner and/or drinks later if you're staying in the same sort of area.

(Original post by oxymoronic)
The one thing I'd say is that I've always found it harder to meet people in big cities. It might just be my luck, but I found Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong to be the most difficult places in Asia to befriend people
Iono, I found Bangkok fantastically easy to meet people because everyones always drunk so everyone talks to everyone in the bars! Khao San Road is an iconic meeting place imo!
Alexander Tomaszewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
beware of theft
lordbonney
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alexander Tomaszewski)
beware of theft
No more so than I would if you were going out in the UK. I've travelled for 9 months in total, and have had an iPod stolen in that time. I dont think thats too bad, especially as it was my fault as I was too drunk to lock the door...

Obviously take basic precautions, but theres no need to be overly cautious.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (190)
39.58%
No - but I will (29)
6.04%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.88%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.5%

Watched Threads