Extenuating Circumstances-Some Advice Needed Watch

This discussion is closed.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I was predicted straight A's at a-s level, having preformed almost full marks in most of my mock modules, and recieved staight astars at gcse. I was an oxbridge hopeful, but during the exam period this year, i have had alot of problems, alot of personal stress and panic, as-well as difficult family circumstances, with a sick parent, and my sister being hospitalised in a near death experience the night before one of my exams, these things genuiely affected my performance, both revision wise, and during the exam itself which i could barely stay awake and left many questions out.

I know it may seem pathetic to be asking for any provisions, and i should shutup take a gap year and redo my as levels, but if i get a doctors/psycolosict note saying these things did affect my performance aswell, how will i go around writing this on my ucas form? do i need to inform the school about it? And also will it affect my oxbridge and other Uni applications (i will be predicted 4A's for a-level, and it is clear that before these events, in the exams i took, i will get good marks, and in the others i fed up)

thank you very much.
emma870
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sure if you have to put it on your ucas form...just get a doctors note to the exam board and they'll keep it in mind when marking your papers. Might not make a massive difference, but every little helps.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you applied for special consideration for your exams? Then they'd probably look at your predicted grades and any coursework you've done, and they might be more lenient with marking. As for UCAS, I'm not sure there's much you can do there except list your AS grades and get the teacher who writes your reference to mention it.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Get it mentioned in your reference. Your teacher can waffle on about how brave you were battling on in the circumstances etc. You should have other things to write about in your PS.
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I dont want an extra 2% on my exam papers, i dont care about that. Its the fact that i was predicted straight A's and left out chunk loads of questions in the exams not cause i didnt know it, but for some reason i cudnt do it.

So basically its not gonna affect my uni chances, and im f-ed, imagine going from all a predictions to C's and D's!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you do get bad marks, then you can decline your AS grades so you don't have to mention them on your UCAS form. However, it would probably be easier if you did apply for special consideration in exams because you may get some good marks to show, and you'll have less pressure with resits.

Then get your teachers still give you A predictions and stress your problems in your reference
Saree
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have been accepted to Goldsmiths but there are some personal issues going on in my life that have affected my revision for the up and coming exams. I didn't know what to do, so I emailed Goldsmiths admissions service and I asked them what appropriate action I should take. I’m still waiting for a reply. It’s not pathetic at all to tell them of any difficulties you have had and I’m sure they’ll take it into consideration. Maybe you should email the admissions services for all the university you are applying to and let them know what has gone on?? It can do no harm at all.
Good luck.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
make sure the school knows what is going on and apply for special consideration from the exam board.

i had glandular fever in year 12 and my teacher mentioned that in my reference on my UCAS form.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If I were you, I'd apply for special consideration, decline any bad AS grades so you can reist and get your referee to mention your problems.
Wings_cp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had extenuating circumstances, and my teacher mentioned it in his reference. That's that.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads