Barcap grad AC Watch

slotcars12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys,

I have this AC on Friday for trading. The recruiter has told me that the interviews will be technical with some competency stuff as well.

Does anybody have any idea / experience of what I can expect?

this will be my first grad AC so will it be much tougher than those for summer internships?

does technical mean stuff like option pricing etc?

thanks for your help.
strjd
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, unless you have relevant experience in trading, you won't be asked complex problems. Strangely, trading interviews tend to be the least technical compared to IBD, AM etc. They will expect a solid knowledge of the markets and current events domestically and abroad but don't waste your time preparing for questions on derivatives etc...
slotcars12
Rep:
?
thanks, i have a trading internship that is all. so i am expecting to be asked about the product my desk traded there, that will be fine.

what do you mean by current events domestically and abroad? do you mean purely economical? or general knowledge aswell as I have heard from a few people that barcap look for good general knowledge.
strjd
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my experience, you will be asked to explain certain trends in the markets recently with regards to events (political, social and economic). If you are applying for equities, you may be asked to assess the pharmaceutical industry (political and economic consequences of swine flu and how it may play a part on pharmaceuticals and on the market as a whole). If you are applying for commodities, you will be expected to know about the reasons why gold has hit new highs and where you see oil prices going with regards to political initiatives domestcally and abroad. Read the "World" section of The Times and try and relate the articles that you read to certain industries and the effect that these events may have on the market.
You will gain far more points for offering a well-rounded opinion with solid general knowledge than you would from knowing technicals that you will learn on the job anyway.
slotcars12
Rep:
?
excellent advice thank you. As it is for a fast-track I am not applying to a specific desk. Rather, all desks with opportunities available will interview each of us on the day. So I guess I need to prepare well all round.
Sasuke!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have been to a Sales AC this summer, it wasn't too hard imo. I'm not sure what trading will be like, but people do say try to impress them during breakfast to get additional interviews (I think you are given 3 set interviews, mine was quite technical, then one on my ECs and experience and the last one was entirely about my CV)
slotcars12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sasuke!)
I have been to a Sales AC this summer, it wasn't too hard imo. I'm not sure what trading will be like, but people do say try to impress them during breakfast to get additional interviews (I think you are given 3 set interviews, mine was quite technical, then one on my ECs and experience and the last one was entirely about my CV)

thanks for the reply. What do you mean by technical? theory (like option / futures / derivative explanations) or market knowledge (i.e. where do you see oil / gold / stocks/ the economy going?)

thanks
Sasuke!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well given that it was a sales role, it wasn't as technical, i was asked what kind of stocks would be a worthwhile investment given the current situation. you need to say defensive stocks, utilities etc.

but i think the best thing would be to make sure you have a rapport with the interviewers before the interview as they will probably have people they favour (we dined with them and had drinks with them beforehand so it wasn't that formal)

best of luck, let me know how it goes..
bull1900
Report 9 years ago
Hi Sasuke,
i have a sales AC with Barcap and i was wondering if you can give me some adivce on thier group and presentation exercise. Also can give me an insight into the interviews.
many thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.67%
No - but I will (53)
7.03%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
48.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise