Launderettes At Lancaster Watch

George Smith
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
just had a few questions about the launderettes on lancaster campus:

how many are there and are they any good?
how much does it cost for a wash?
generally do your clothes come out in one piece?
do the washing machines wash at 30 degrees? (otherwise there will be nothing left of all my t-shirts coz they say dont wash on 40)

any responses i would be grateful
AndyT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There're two around County college, one in Furness college and... I'm afraid that's as far as I ever went for my laundry (I'm a Bowlander), each one varies with somewhere between 8 and 15 washers and dryers, a wash cycle was £1.60 I think and a drying cycle £1, each have a few options for whites/colours etc so I think your clothes will survive in them.
The dryers, certainly in the smaller County laundrette, had a tendency to either run cold or shrink clothes, so I made good use of a clothes horse last year!

Oh, and be prepared for your washing to take 4 hours or so as people keep opening the machines 2 minutes after you leave...
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wash them on 'bright colours'- i'm pretty sure that that is the setting for 30.... as for price, what AndyT said. Theres also a laundrette next to Lonsdale porters lodge, and I think one in Cartmel and Pendle....
vergerefosh
Report 9 years ago
The washing machines tend to be all right. Only had a couple of issues with them, but the clothes still came out clean, just took longer than expected. The driers in the launderette next to Pizzetta have a slight tendency to be a bit cantankerous and not dry clothes due to not heating up, not work etc. For about a third of the first term those driers weren't working at all.

As Teao said, I believe bright colours washed at 30, but I always just chucked them in and put them on, never had any shrinkage or colours running into my whites. Though that may have been the powder I was using as much as anything else.
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As far as I know there are launderettes near Lonsdale and County plus Pendle and Furness. There maybe a few others I haven't noticed. I've only ever used the one next to Furness; the driers are a bit dodgy in terms of them seeming to be broken all the time and they sometimes don't seem to dry anything at all. However, they've never damaged anything. Not had any problems with the washing machines although a few have broken throughout the year for whatever reason...

As mentioned:
Washing costs £1.60 - there is an extra setting which is £1.80 I think, providing a longer cycle. I think the standard cycle takes around 40 minutes.
The driers cost £1 for 50 minutes.

I would definitely recommend a clothes horse as much of the year, heating is provided in the halls so you can get them dry quite quickly in your room. Even if you use the driers, you might need them for thick items etc.

michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are plenty of washing machines on campus, even if you are in Lonsdale and their tiny tiny laundrette, the Cartmel one is only 5 minutes away and they are not specifically for members of the College that they are nearest to. The Cartmel one has had its problems, but you learn through your mistakes, i.e., NEVER use #6 unless you want a laundrette which only completes half the cycles and leaves your clothes soaked! They are pretty much open throughout the night, though I think they are closed for three hours each day for cleaning, but this is normally between the hours of 4am and 7am (I think) so doesn't really affect anything.

The laundrette can definitely get busy though - so try going in the morning for the best chance of getting a space. AVOID evenings, especially Sunday evenings!
bestie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone know the nearest launderette to Graduate College?
athamas
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
probably Lonsdale... though i have a feeling there may be another one down there, i just cant remember where...
philip67
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
near graduate, the big one at Cartmel, or the smaller one by Lonny. I do have a feeling grad have thier own, but don't quote me on that! There are plenty around so don't worry about it!
bestie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks!
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The laundrettes on campus are awful, I must have lost nearly £50 on them last year!

And theres no point choosing settings, 30-60 no matter what you select you get a cold wash, or no wash at all, or the worst of all....a wash with no spin and the water left in meaning you have to be there wringing all your sodden sodden clothes out and repeatedly drying them till 3am. Grrrrr.

And they always leave your clothes smelling all musty/damp, no matter how much detergent you use.

ARGGGHHHHH! :eek: Rant over....sorry, its just me and the washing machines have quite a few unresolved issues.
meandmylies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the laundrettes are out to get me... . Bane of my uni life, they are! Which is why I'm glad to be moving off campus so I can have my own washing machine. It better not break, lol.

It's pretty much pot luck as to whether they'll work, or even be open... some are newer (and therefore more reliable) than others, I never had any problems with the County Main ones (except the fact that they weren't open for most of the year) but the County South ones are pretty poor, and the Furness ones are sometimes good and sometimes really bad. Those are the only laundrettes I ever used, living in County Main, but they are all over campus so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. You'll just have trouble getting your clothes washed and/or dried using them...
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bestie)
Does anyone know the nearest launderette to Graduate College?
I don't think the College has their own one, but there is a laundrette just across the road in Cartmel which is pretty big. The Lonsdale one is very very small, I wouldn't ever bother going there - especially as Lonsdale is one of the bigger Colleges on campus.
Holli2011
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
this may sound stupid but can you use any washing powder stuff with them? for example tablets, liquitabs etc.? or does it have to just simply be powder? cheers
meandmylies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can use tablets, and probably liquitabs - I used tablets all last year, just throwing them in on top of the clothes. Probably easier than powder, which does seem to end up all over the floor .
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, tablets or liquitabs are a lot neater than anything else!
Holli2011
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aha well that's decent coz I have 2 huge boxes of liquitabs haha, had a horrible thought when I saw this thread that I may have wasted £8 but it's all good
Untitled1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are there any launderettes in the city centre? Or any besides on campus :p: Some of the replies here haven't given me much hope haha!
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Untitled1)
Are there any launderettes in the city centre? Or any besides on campus :p: Some of the replies here haven't given me much hope haha!
They really aren't that bad! Its just that you remember the awful times, and don't think anything of the times that they work perfectly! And you're a student, you won't wash clothes often! :P:
And who wants to lug their washing into town anyway? that would be stupid....
Untitled1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
They really aren't that bad! Its just that you remember the awful times, and don't think anything of the times that they work perfectly! And you're a student, you won't wash clothes often! :P:
And who wants to lug their washing into town anyway? that would be stupid....
Perhaps stupid, perhaps not if I'd rather have my clothes in one piece haha :p: No, only joking - just thought I'd enquire incase my first experience with a washing machine at Lancaster went very badly and I wished it to be my last haha! Me and machines don't always have the best 'relationship' :o:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads