Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I'm currently taking my GCSE's and will be doing A-levels next year in Biology, Chemistry, French and Geography. I'd really like to study Medicine at Uni but will I be able to without an A-level in Maths? Ideally I'd like to go to Cambridge where I've a feeling you need maths. Will I be alright taking Biology and Chemistry without Maths or do I need to re-think my plans?

I don't think I'll manage an A in Maths at A-level.

Help!

Rose

ReputationRep:
    In terms of needing A level Maths as an entry requirement for getting into medical school - it is not required by the vast majority of medical schools if any at all.

In terms of whether A level Maths is useful in studying medicine - in general no. However, a basic knowledge of statistics is extremely important - so perhaps if you don't like pure maths you could do an AS in Statistics.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably have to pass some kind of numeracy test at some point in your medical degree (as the GMC are pushing for all medical schools to introduce it). GKT already do this, and BL are introducing it into our end of 1st year OSCE.

However, it is just fairly simple calculation, and nothing that requires anymore than intermediate maths at GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    Hey guys

I'm currently taking my GCSE's and will be doing A-levels next year in Biology, Chemistry, French and Geography. I'd really like to study Medicine at Uni but will I be able to without an A-level in Maths? Ideally I'd like to go to Cambridge where I've a feeling you need maths. Will I be alright taking Biology and Chemistry without Maths or do I need to re-think my plans?

I don't think I'll manage an A in Maths at A-level.

Help!

Rose
    The good news is that your AS levels will be fine for almost any medical school in the country. The bad news is that they won't for Cambridge, which is the only place (I think) to still require three sciences - so you'd need to do Bio, Chem and Physics OR Maths if you want to apply there.

ReputationRep:
    i think on every place that i've looked at it says physics or a number realted subject ie maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    i think on every place that i've looked at it says physics or a number realted subject ie maths
    Odd - hardly any medical schools ask for physics or maths as an absolute.

It's mostly Chemistry that they want to full A2 and Biology to AS (although there are a few schools who don't even want this...)

ReputationRep:
    Getting into medicine is more important than getting into Cambridge. Your As levels will be fine for most courses, and you should only take the subjects you think you can get an A in.
    Maths really is revision intensive. I'd only suggest taking it if you have a natural affinity for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I do not do maths and I got offers, but I do Physic so I have some number related subject (evil one ...). Officialy you do not need maths, if candidates with maths are prefered by the admission tutors that is a meter of open discussion (some medical schools state for example that they like 3rd subject to be sth alse then sciance).

ReputationRep:
    Manchester ask for Chemistry to A2, one other science (from bio, physics or maths) and a further "rigorous" subject. Maths or Physics are not compulsary. It is suprising how many people i know on my course that do have them though.

Apparently there are only 10 that don't have biology out of 360 in my year - so taking biology is probably a good idea regardless of what the entry reqs says.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would have to be mad or a sadist not to take biology if you want to go to medical school - you'll be making far more work for yourself when you get here...

ReputationRep:
    the maths at chemistry is sufficient to pass the numercy test. its all about the "a 5ml ampoule of x at 4mg/ml concentration is needed to treat a 70kg patient. if the toxic dosage is 60 micrograms/kg, how much of the ampoule will be necessary before it becomes toxic"

plus stuff about w/v calculations and loads of units ratios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    Getting into medicine is more important than getting into Cambridge. Your As levels will be fine for most courses, and you should only take the subjects you think you can get an A in.
    Maths really is revision intensive. I'd only suggest taking it if you have a natural affinity for the subject.
    Yeah, I think that for me, taking maths at A-level would be too stressful. I'm currently taking Higher GCSE and do not want to proceed with it any futher than GCSE as I get very frustrated when I find myself struggling!

I have been advised to carry on with the subjects that I enjoy, rather than take Maths because I feel I have to for a uni course.

With regards to Physics, I feel the same, I've done all I think I can manage and the subject doesn't interest me enough to want to continue with it!

So it looks like Cambridge is out of the window then Ah well!

Thanks for the help guys

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think that for me, taking maths at A-level would be too stressful. I'm currently taking Higher GCSE and do not want to proceed with it any futher than GCSE as I get very frustrated when I find myself struggling!

I have been advised to carry on with the subjects that I enjoy, rather than take Maths because I feel I have to for a uni course.

With regards to Physics, I feel the same, I've done all I think I can manage and the subject doesn't interest me enough to want to continue with it!

So it looks like Cambridge is out of the window then Ah well!

Thanks for the help guys
    you can still try appling the prospectus for cam sez "Applicants with two sceince/maths A levels will be excepted to have a sceintific knowledge comparable with thos who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them" only christs, st johns, jesus and newnham want 3 sceinces definate.

and there is the sceince section of the bmat - which if u scored well on would work just as much in ur favour as anything else

if thats where u wanna go - give it a shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by specialhelen)
    you can still try appling the prospectus for cam sez "Applicants with two sceince/maths A levels will be excepted to have a sceintific knowledge comparable with thos who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them" only christs, st johns, jesus and newnham want 3 sceinces definate.

and there is the sceince section of the bmat - which if u scored well on would work just as much in ur favour as anything else

if thats where u wanna go - give it a shot
    Thanks specialhelen

Yeah you're right, I just found this on the Cambridge site:

"All Colleges strongly prefer applicants to have Chemistry A level.

All Colleges prefer applicants to have two science/mathematics subjects at A level – note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them.

The following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/mathematics subjects at A level: Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s.

All Colleges will, exceptionally, consider applicants taking only one science subject at A level, provided this subject is Chemistry. In this case you will still be expected to show a very high level of scientific ability. You are likely to be disadvantaged in all Colleges when compared with those of comparable ability taking further science/mathematics A levels."

So you never know??

ReputationRep:
    Oh, great, this just burst my bubble......

"For applicants taking two science/ mathematics subjects at A level with one or more non-science subject(s), the agreed minimum offer* is two A grades in the A level science/mathematics subjects plus an additional A grade in one other A level subject, plus an A grade at AS level in a third science/mathematics subject."

So I'd need to take Maths/Physics at AS!!!
    Oh dear

Ok its back to the drawing board!!

ReputationRep:
    ye and i just typed that out - does it make u fel loved - i put effort into typing it from my propectus - porably due to the fact i suffer from gross stupidity and forgot to look online for it but he ho!!!

if thats where u wanna study give it a go, never say never!!!!!!!

lots of medical schools also prefer u to have a non sceince A level as it shows bredth and something like a language means u can get forgein ppl to understand u and geog means u know how to write and essay - which is helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by specialhelen)
    ye and i just typed that out - does it make u fel loved - i put effort into typing it from my propectus - porably due to the fact i suffer from gross stupidity and forgot to look online for it but he ho!!!

if thats where u wanna study give it a go, never say never!!!!!!!

lots of medical schools also prefer u to have a non sceince A level as it shows bredth and something like a language means u can get forgein ppl to understand u and geog means u know how to write and essay - which is helpful
    Thanks specialhelen

And yes it makes me feel extremely loved

You are a star!! Are you at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    So I'd need to take Maths/Physics at AS!!!
    Oh dear
    Physics at AS actually has very little Maths in it. The mechanics stuff (at least for Edexcel, what I did) and mathematical part of the electricity and heat is very easy- GCSE level Maths at max really. To be honest, the mechanics part is barely harder than GCSE Physics; the heat/electricity stuff is harder but that stuff has limited maths in it. You could therefore get an A without being good at Maths for Physics IMO (there is some but not much), although the maths at A2 is MUCH harder. Although, this is for edexcel may depend on your exam board.

If you want to go to Cambridge; Im sure you can cope with AS Physics well enough- youll never know if youd get in without giving it a shot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Physics at AS actually has very little Maths in it. The mechanics stuff (at least for Edexcel, what I did) and mathematical part of the electricity and heat is very easy- GCSE level Maths at max really. To be honest, the mechanics part is barely harder than GCSE Physics; the heat/electricity stuff is harder but that stuff has limited maths in it. You could therefore get an A without being good at Maths for Physics IMO (there is some but not much), although the maths at A2 is MUCH harder. Although, this is for edexcel may depend on your exam board.

If you want to go to Cambridge; Im sure you can cope with AS Physics well enough- youll never know if youd get in without giving it a shot!
    I think we do Edexcel Physics AS at my school. Thanks for the advice

Only problem is, I don't want to give up one of my other subjects.....and not too sure if i can cope with 5....

And the small fact that I hate physics lol

Maybe Medicine isn't for me if I dont like the maths/physics aspect of it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks specialhelen

And yes it makes me feel extremely loved

You are a star!! Are you at Uni?
    no i am doin A levels - what a bind - i have 17 exams and 20 days to freedom and the loooooong wait for results :confused: :eek: :dontknow:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.