Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by specialhelen)
    no i am doin A levels - what a bind - i have 17 exams and 20 days to freedom and the loooooong wait for results :confused: :eek: :dontknow:
    I'm sure you'll do great

I'm still doing GCSE's.....5 left :rolleyes:

Hoping to study medicine? Where at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    Hey guys

I'm currently taking my GCSE's and will be doing A-levels next year in Biology, Chemistry, French and Geography. I'd really like to study Medicine at Uni but will I be able to without an A-level in Maths? Ideally I'd like to go to Cambridge where I've a feeling you need maths. Will I be alright taking Biology and Chemistry without Maths or do I need to re-think my plans?

I don't think I'll manage an A in Maths at A-level.

Help!

Rose
    my friend thought that he should try a-level maths cos it would look good, but wasnt really motivated enough ..and in the end decided to drop it. So make sure ur comfortable with ur choice.
    slightly off topic- which do you think is better for applying to medicine for uni.. classics or french, given that ur good in both equally...

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't think so, but it would help. A lot. No really, what you do need is chemistry, probably biology too. However the catch is that maths can help with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeyyyyy)
    slightly off topic- which do you think is better for applying to medicine for uni.. classics or french, given that ur good in both equally...
    if you fancy an elective in france, canada etc. then french might have more long term use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    I'm sure you'll do great

I'm still doing GCSE's.....5 left :rolleyes:

Hoping to study medicine? Where at?
    ye hoping to study medicine at cam - we just need to get the grades - what a shame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterious_123)
    I shouldn't think so, but it would help. A lot. No really, what you do need is chemistry, probably biology too. However the catch is that maths can help with that.
    And Maths helps with Physics. I remember the first lesson of AS Physics *sighs nostalgically*... we each had to fill out a form with AS subjects, GCSE grades and intended degree. I was the only person not doing maths.Even in year 13 when the sets were all collapsed and reshuffled there were only two people in the year group (including myself) who didnt do maths AS at least.
    It'snot vital to the subject as a whole but it really does help. Logs and stuff. And when we're half way through a derivation and the teacher goes "then if you differentiate that..."
    With regards to Camb med applicants (also ICL, UCL and Oxford) I dont know if anybody's mentioned this but there's also the BMAT hurdle to get over.

www.bmat.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere (except maybe Cambridge) requires maths or physics, you don't have to do either. Doing maths at A-level probably won't help you that much with chemistry or biology either, so my advice is, if you don't like maths and physics, then don't do them. You'd be better off doing chemistry and biology, and then another subject that you enjoy and are good at and are most likely to get an A in.

Some med schools even prefer you not to have 3 science subjects, and would rather you showed some more depth.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya...i needed a bit of help! Im doing AS at the moment in bio chem phsyics and maths. I reckon that ive got BBC or BCC at the worst and as for maths i reckon im gettin a B. If i retkae a couple of modules to bump my grades up to, say, ABB or AAB. i really really wanna do medicine...do you reckon the uni's will reject me coz ive retaken some modules???
    :'(
    Cheers,
    Vinnie

ReputationRep:
    They will not reject you becouse you have retaken some modules. Most people retake modules to improve overall score. If your school cerifies AS and you have to put them down on your UCAS form BCC is not going to look to great, if their are not cerified universities will not know about your AS grades. The question you should ask yourself is why you are only looking at BCC and can you improve your performance at A2 (which is considerably harder). Try not to panick until you get your results and then look at your options. If your teachers will predict you AAB and you have strong PS I think you stand a chance, with ABB prediction maybe a smaler chance but with predicyion in the line of BBC you should meybe have a look on nursing degree for example.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore Maths. Medical schools outside of Oxbridge will give you no more advantage if you take Maths as your third A level. Biology, Chemistry and a third thoery based (60% thoery) A level subject will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    So basically im screwed? Or is there any other longer way i can get to medicine/dentistry.

Cheers for the advice,
    Vinnie

ReputationRep:
    redo AS year or apply for a biomedical course at uni then apply to medicine via granduate entry.

ReputationRep:
    sorry guys....1 last question....wat would happen if i get rejected at unis with me predicted grades....but i end up with AAB ??

Cheers,
    Vinnie (pain in the butt)

ReputationRep:
    oops...i lied.... 1 more question... :rolleyes: ...
    i heard someone at college saying summat like u can do a foundation year if ur grades wernt as good....is this true?!?!?! coz in that case im really up for it.
    cheers, Vinnie

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the foundation year Medicine course is only for those who didn't take the correct subjects at AS/A level rather than the ones who took the right subjects but didn't meet the minimum entry requirement (i.e. someone who wants to do Medicine but has done Art, Media, Pyscology A levels). The purpose of the foundation year is to catch them up on Chemistry/Biology that they missed from not doing them at A levels.

ReputationRep:
    and wat if i do better than me prediced grades...will i be accepted anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    As far as I know, the foundation year Medicine course is only for those who didn't take the correct subjects at AS/A level rather than the ones who took the right subjects but didn't meet the minimum entry requirement (i.e. someone who wants to do Medicine but has done Art, Media, Pyscology A levels). The purpose of the foundation year is to catch them up on Chemistry/Biology that they missed from not doing them at A levels.
    Not true anymore! They tend to take anyone!

If you're school is classed as 'bad', look into the 6 year (inc foundation year) medical degrees. GKT's and Southamptoms 'WAMP' course are supposed to be good. PM Sarky as she's on the Southamptom WAMP and also had an offer for the GKT 6 year course.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: how would i go about finding out if me college is bad....its called Stanmore 6th Form....not as good as this other coellge in harrow. But not as bad as Harrow College.
    :hmpf: im soooooooooo worried about me future now!have no clue wat else i can do....ohhh and some ppl go to czech republic...to do medicine :confused: dont quite know how that'd get us a job here in good ol' england coz i think the NHS would rather prefer students who studied medicine in the UK.

i really appreciate yous lots help!

Cheers, Vinnie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinnie11)
    sorry guys....1 last question....wat would happen if i get rejected at unis with me predicted grades....but i end up with AAB ??

Cheers,
    Vinnie (pain in the butt)
    Firstly, learn the difference between "my" and "me."

Aside from that, I guess it's too late to tell you to work for your ASs to bring those grades up. If you have them certificated they will look bad on your UCAS form but if you choose to retake modules your school might not cash them in. If you apply and don't get in, but then do get AAB, you can reapply the next year and have a decent chance, or you could look into the foundation year programmes.

ReputationRep:
    THANKS A LOT FLUFFY!!!! U'VE REALLY MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!! CHEERS DUDETTE!!!!!!!!
    IF I GET INTO GKT....I OWE U BIG TIME!!! HEH!! Cheers for the info....i would never have found out about this!!!
    Cheers, *gives u a present*:shakehand

Vinnie

tra lal ala lal lal al al al al la la la l al al aaa laaaaaaa :flute: :top: :burnout: :dancing2: :biggrin: :beer: ill be heading off to the pub 2mora nite then to celebrate!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.