Turn on thread page Beta

Do you need Maths A-level to study Medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Ignore Maths. Medical schools outside of Oxbridge will give you no more advantage if you take Maths as your third A level. Biology, Chemistry and a third thoery based (60% thoery) A level subject will be fine.
    I don't think Oxford requires Maths. From what I've read. Does anyone know any different?

ReputationRep:
    you're right, they don't require it - only Chemistry and one other science (Biology, Physics, Maths) to A2 level.

A2 subjects being studied by Oxford 2004 applicants:

Biology 93%

Mathematics -63%

Physics - 33%

Arts/Humanities - 53%
    having not done maths myself though, it does make some concepts slightly harder to get your head round. & you might have to work harder on the statistics element!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Elles, that's made me slightly happier knowing that Maths isn't necessary

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same position as you Rosalily! :eek: I would love to study bio, chem, geo and French, but I have my doubts over maths and physics. To be honest I was looking more at Oxford than Cam and you don't need maths/physics there. However, I was also looking at a bio degree and they say maths would be 'helpful for some elements of the course'. I would prefer physics (I really like some aspects, but hate others) over maths, but apparently it wouldn't be that useful for bio/med at uni and I would prefer to study my 4 subjects stated above anyway. Another problem - I thought about vet med and most unis need 3 science/maths subjects, although RVC doesn't.

I would probably find it hard to manage an A in maths as well as I would not be able to manage an A* at GCSE (predicted A). And I'm aiming for A*s in all the other subjects I want to take. But, I do do GCSE Stats and I like it! Much better than the pure maths stuff. Can you just do an AS in Stats? Also, what is the BMAT??

If you really needed maths/physics for uni, you could perhaps pick up it at AS alongside your A2s? I thought about it, but it might be too much work.

ReputationRep:
    You can find information about the BMAT here: http://www.bmat.org.uk/

Yep sounds like we're in the same boat! No way I'm gonna manage an A in Maths A-level.

ReputationRep:
    We don't do Stats at my school so I don't know what it's like. However, I don't particularly like maths or physics and have no desire to continue either.

I think the workload would be too much for me to manage if I did maths or physics at AS alongside my A2's!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.