Applying for anthropology, I've made 4 choices, please help me choose a 5th? Watch

mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm applying for...

UCL - anthropology
LSE - social anthropology
Goldsmiths of London- anthropology
University of Kent - anthropology with a year abroad in Japan

I'm torn for the last between Bristol and Exeter, which both offer the course joint with archeology, or Edinburgh which offers social anthropology.

Which of these would be the best choice, and it better to apply for the Bsc or BA?
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Durham? http://www.dur.ac.uk/anthropology/un...ug_programmes/

Out of your choices I'd go for Edinburgh. It's pretty and Scotland is cheaper for fees.
Kelser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you considered Sussex?
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/studywithus/...s/Anthropology

Out of all of the courses and universities I looked at, this was the one that interested me the most Durham also has amazing Anth courses!

I'd pick Edinburgh out of the three you listed though. It's not nescessarily "better" to apply for BA or BSc, it depends what route you want to go. If you want to do more evolutionary stuff, do a BSc; if you want to do more social, do a BA.

UCL and LSE will be incredibly competitive though!
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Edinburgh or Sussex.
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Out of your list, I'd go for Edinburgh. Being an anthropology student there though, I am very biased. Bare in mind that as you do 3 subjects in your first two years you would also be able to take archeology here, even if you didn't apply for it in the first instance. There are great year abroad options here if you're interested in that - I just came back from mine and had the best time ever.

As someone else has said, Durham have a very good department, as do Sussex.
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxymoronic)
Out of your list, I'd go for Edinburgh. Being an anthropology student there though, I am very biased. Bare in mind that as you do 3 subjects in your first two years you would also be able to take archeology here, even if you didn't apply for it in the first instance. There are great year abroad options here if you're interested in that - I just came back from mine and had the best time ever.

As someone else has said, Durham have a very good department, as do Sussex.

Oh I'm applying for Edinburgh it seems, thanks
How are you enjoying the syllabus then?
Yes, I see it's quite open in terms of what you can do. Thanks.
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
Oh I'm applying for Edinburgh it seems, thanks
How are you enjoying the syllabus then?
Yes, I see it's quite open in terms of what you can do. Thanks.
I've really enjoyed the course, I'm in 4th year now and pretty excited about my modules for this year as they look really cool. I've been told by the lower years that the course has drastically changed content for first year in particular since I did it in 06, meaning my opinions don't really hold true anymore as I don't know what they teach now. The department is good though, very Africa and South Asia focused if you're interested in this (I'm more Amazonia and Central Asia but it still suits me fine) so yeah, I don't really have any complaints other than they're not very good at answering their emails!
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxymoronic)
I've really enjoyed the course, I'm in 4th year now and pretty excited about my modules for this year as they look really cool. I've been told by the lower years that the course has drastically changed content for first year in particular since I did it in 06, meaning my opinions don't really hold true anymore as I don't know what they teach now. The department is good though, very Africa and South Asia focused if you're interested in this (I'm more Amazonia and Central Asia but it still suits me fine) so yeah, I don't really have any complaints other than they're not very good at answering their emails!
Amazonian and Asian cultures interest me greatly. I hope they still teach about amazonian tribes, not that I won't find African interesting...

Sounds like a really immense course anyway. I was just checking up the UCL reading list for anthropology degrees and it all interests me anyway which is great. Thanks. Take care x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads