The Student Room Group

Can you apply to both Liverpool and Lancaster University for medicine?

Hey everyone,
I have a really bad UKCAT score so I want to apply to both Liverpool and Lancaster university. I know that both universities have the same course, and you graduate with a Liverpool degree from both universities.

I've heard that after a pre-med year (im a gap yr student not pre-med) you can only pick one interview from either Lancaster/Liverpool if you apply to both. Both universities have the same admissions contact number, and when i rang in they said they worked seperately, but I'm worried that they don't.

Do you guys think I'll be able to get an interview from both univresities, and that they won't correspond to each other about their applicants? Has anyone ever applied to both before? And what happened? Sorry about all the questions at once lol

Thanks.
Reply 1
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Hey everyone,
I have a really bad UKCAT score so I want to apply to both Liverpool and Lancaster university. I know that both universities have the same course, and you graduate with a Liverpool degree from both universities.

I've heard that after a pre-med year (im a gap yr student not pre-med) you can only pick one interview from either Lancaster/Liverpool if you apply to both. Both universities have the same admissions contact number, and when i rang in they said they worked seperately, but I'm worried that they don't.

Do you guys think I'll be able to get an interview from both univresities, and that they won't correspond to each other about their applicants? Has anyone ever applied to both before? And what happened? Sorry about all the questions at once lol

Thanks.

It is possible to apply to both:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/shm/med/cme/medicine_mbchb/faqs.php

Thanks for the link :smile:

"
I noticed whilst looking at the UCAS web site that Medicine based at Lancaster University is code A105, whilst Medicine at Liverpool is A100. Does this mean it is possible to apply for both courses, or do you have to select a preference?

The Lancaster version has its own course code, which means that it is possible to apply to both - this would use up 2 of your 4 UCAS medical choices. In both cases you would be applying to Liverpool as the institution (code L41). Interviews for A105 will take place in Lancaster. The curriculum will be essentially the same in both places.

Are applications for Lancaster assessed independently from Liverpool or not? Also, are the entrance requirements exactly the same for Lancaster as Liverpool? I will be applying as a graduate.

Yes, the separate course codes of A100 and A105 mean that you have to treat them as separate choices not an either/or system. Applications for A105 will be assessed separately, by Lancaster staff, independently of decisions taken in Liverpool (although using similar criteria because we are delivering their curriculum to the same standards). Interviews will take place in Lancaster; we won't use one interview for both.

Entrance requirements are the same. Note that Lancaster will only offer the 5 year version, but graduates can and do apply for that version as well as for Liverpool's graduate entry version (A101). Note that you must complete your degree first; we cannot accept applications in your final year.

Applicants will be called for interview at Lancaster - although your application is to Liverpool as the institution, there will be a separate UCAS code (A105) to indicate Lancaster location. "

Reading that makes it a bit clear but I'm still worried, because it implies that you are interviewed by the same panel for both universities, and therefore are unilkely to get two interviews.. Does anyone agree?
Reply 3
CoffeeAtStarbucks

Thanks for the link :smile:

"
I noticed whilst looking at the UCAS web site that Medicine based at Lancaster University is code A105, whilst Medicine at Liverpool is A100. Does this mean it is possible to apply for both courses, or do you have to select a preference?

The Lancaster version has its own course code, which means that it is possible to apply to both - this would use up 2 of your 4 UCAS medical choices. In both cases you would be applying to Liverpool as the institution (code L41). Interviews for A105 will take place in Lancaster. The curriculum will be essentially the same in both places.

Are applications for Lancaster assessed independently from Liverpool or not? Also, are the entrance requirements exactly the same for Lancaster as Liverpool? I will be applying as a graduate.

Yes, the separate course codes of A100 and A105 mean that you have to treat them as separate choices not an either/or system. Applications for A105 will be assessed separately, by Lancaster staff, independently of decisions taken in Liverpool (although using similar criteria because we are delivering their curriculum to the same standards). Interviews will take place in Lancaster; we won't use one interview for both.

Entrance requirements are the same. Note that Lancaster will only offer the 5 year version, but graduates can and do apply for that version as well as for Liverpool's graduate entry version (A101). Note that you must complete your degree first; we cannot accept applications in your final year.

Applicants will be called for interview at Lancaster - although your application is to Liverpool as the institution, there will be a separate UCAS code (A105) to indicate Lancaster location. "

Reading that makes it a bit clear but I'm still worried, because it implies that you are interviewed by the same panel for both universities, and therefore are unilkely to get two interviews.. Does anyone agree?

By my understanding, you'll have two different interviews at the respective universities however the interview style will be the same. The interviewers themselves will not be.
sohanshah
By my understanding, you'll have two different interviews at the respective universities however the interview style will be the same. The interviewers themselves will not be.

Yeh i guess, and if anything thats an advantage because both interviews will be the same style and in the same environment. I just rang in again, and liverpool said it was unlikely that the interview panel would be the same, they gave me lancaster's number, and they said it wouldn't be the same.

The only thing to contemplate is whether it's safe to apply to both, since they are looking for the same criteria. Either both universities will like me, or both will not like me.
Reply 5
I wouldnt apply to both - they're almost identical - just apply to liverpool.. - where is the lancaster teaching hospital out of interest??
Sambo2
I wouldnt apply to both - they're almost identical - just apply to liverpool.. - where is the lancaster teaching hospital out of interest??

lancaster use lancaster hospital, kendal but mainly Barrow-in-furness in the lake district. its one of the reasons why i don't think i'll apply there because i'm from barrow so may have to live at home while i did my work placement there, work with my dad and not to mention barrow is probably the most dossiest place! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending