Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What did you think about this paper?

I didn't really like the first question but the last two were interesting...

ReputationRep:
    my answer for the first question was a bit dodgy but this was the first paper i was actually able to finish properly on. however two people in my year thought you had to do either the question about the speech or about the future and only did one of them...

ReputationRep:
    however two people in my year thought you had to do either the question about the speech or about the future and only did one of them...

... And now they've lost at least 33% of their marks. I wouldn't like to be them :eek: It was the first english paper that I finished properly as well but I don't think we got long enough for the first question.

ReputationRep:
    I ran out of time on the first question as well, so I don't think I've written enough for it. I couldn't think of loads to write in the last two questions either. I don't think I've done that bad though, just maybe not as well as I'd've hoped to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, our teacher said at the beginning that 5 people last year failed their exam because they did either as opposed to both. Despite the fact it does say both. Anyway, c'mon, detail people...

I'm actually supposed to be good at English Language. English is my best subject, and I've got 59/60 for the coursework, however. I think I fu cked up, badly. First of all, I did the culture question. I chose "Two Kinds" because it has two cultural influences (American and Chinese!), and "Snapshots of a Wedding" because it is influence by both modern culture, and traditional culture. That was pretty crap.

The second question!! ARGH! I think I fu cked up. The analysis, review, comment question. Did people put both sides? For example, I said there were reasons to look forward to the future, but also reasons not to. Is that right, or should I only have focused on positives? To be honest, you can't really "analyse" something in my opinion, without looking at both sides of it! I talked about Global Warming, Species extinction, Tectonic Hazards (eg. Tsunami), crime, bad press etc. But then said that yes there were reasons to look forward to the future, and basically contradicted all those point, and commented that I believed that the future was good blah blah. I blatantly argued too much, which was gutting because this means that both my writing questions were in the same kinda style. So I messed up. I definitely argued too much on 7.

On the speech, I argued against the viewpoint, did "deal with the opposition" as my teacher had told me. I basically ripped the whole "slave" idea by formally digging into it. If you see what I mean. I addressed my audience (pupils), and used a lot of rhetorics. However, I used those too in the previous question, so I'm pretty sure the examiner will read one, then the other, and make the link that I messed up on the style of writing. Oh well...On this one I talked about the fact that yes, electronic devices etc were becoming more popular, but also that Harry Potter books, sport etc is still very mainstream - I kinda gave it a pupil/parent slant I think. Becaue my audience were pupils. Dunno if that was a good idea...

Let's have feedback then...

ReputationRep:
    The paper was better than I had expected. Quest. no. 2 was ok but i could have written more - i spent 40 mins on it and then hurried onto 7 and 8 where i think i wrote quite well on. I finished both in 45 mins so was left with quite a lot of time at the end. Shouldve been more thoughtful i suppose

ReputationRep:
    I did the first writing question as a magazine article from a teen mag. Dont know if this was what we needed to do. Instructions were vauge so I guess it was down to us to do what we want with it. Basically the point of my article was to encourage people that the future is bright, and I talked about the advancement in Technology and medicine. Also did a few rhetorical questions. Talked about how much the world has changed in the last 200 years and so how much it will change in the next 200 years. Also warned the reader of the problem of global warming and that if we are to have a good future we cant neglect the environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Yeah, our teacher said at the beginning that 5 people last year failed their exam because they did either as opposed to both. Despite the fact it does say both. Anyway, c'mon, detail people...

I'm actually supposed to be good at English Language. English is my best subject, and I've got 59/60 for the coursework, however. I think I fu cked up, badly. First of all, I did the culture question. I chose "Two Kinds" because it has two cultural influences (American and Chinese!), and "Snapshots of a Wedding" because it is influence by both modern culture, and traditional culture. That was pretty crap.

The second question!! ARGH! I think I fu cked up. The analysis, review, comment question. Did people put both sides? For example, I said there were reasons to look forward to the future, but also reasons not to. Is that right, or should I only have focused on positives? To be honest, you can't really "analyse" something in my opinion, without looking at both sides of it! I talked about Global Warming, Species extinction, Tectonic Hazards (eg. Tsunami), crime, bad press etc. But then said that yes there were reasons to look forward to the future, and basically contradicted all those point, and commented that I believed that the future was good blah blah. I blatantly argued too much, which was gutting because this means that both my writing questions were in the same kinda style. So I messed up. I definitely argued too much on 7.

On the speech, I argued against the viewpoint, did "deal with the opposition" as my teacher had told me. I basically ripped the whole "slave" idea by formally digging into it. If you see what I mean. I addressed my audience (pupils), and used a lot of rhetorics. However, I used those too in the previous question, so I'm pretty sure the examiner will read one, then the other, and make the link that I messed up on the style of writing. Oh well...On this one I talked about the fact that yes, electronic devices etc were becoming more popular, but also that Harry Potter books, sport etc is still very mainstream - I kinda gave it a pupil/parent slant I think. Becaue my audience were pupils. Dunno if that was a good idea...

Let's have feedback then...
    how did these 5 fail?? and how did people answer question 7. i did the same as zhivago and i did the question on cultures with the gold legged frog and two kinds

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, perhaps they were generally bad candidates in the first place! It makes sense to be honest, don't ya think? I just said how I answered question 7. How did you answer question 7? Because I think I did it badly.

ReputationRep:
    You weren't supposed to argue. The question asked you why we should look forward to the future, not why we shouldn't. Just ramble on about how we've broken the speed barrier, so why not travel in time later on. We live lives our ancestors could only dream of, and things will get even better. Trying to help world poverty etc..

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like any of the questions. I prefered the other paper.
    I didn't have enough time for the 1st question but then for the second section I finished the first question in about 10 minutes so I went back to the first question and finished it off.
    I thought the last question said for and against, so I started to right both sides of the argument, only to realise that it said for OR against..
    so I worked round it. Glad english is over though!! and german as well. YAY!

ReputationRep:
    You weren't supposed to argue. The question asked you why we should look forward to the future, not why we shouldn't. Just ramble on about how we've broken the speed barrier, so why not travel in time later on. We live lives our ancestors could only dream of, and things will get even better. Trying to help world poverty etc..
    Yeah, but how is that an analysis? How can you analysis and review why we should look forward if we only look at one side? And then how can you comment on what you think? I know we weren't supposed to argue, which I did too much of, but I don't see how you can analysis one side. I dunno, I'm f u cked basically.

ReputationRep:
    I s-c-r-e-w-e-d it up. It's going to take a few days before I realise how badly I did.

I must have spent about 50 minutes on the first question. It didn't help that I couldn't see when the damn exam was meant to finish. I choose the 2nd question and wrote on Train from Rhodesia (lack of understanding between villagers and westerners events in the young man making the old man run for the money - and Dead Men's Path, conflict causes destruction of school)

Question 7. I sort of aimed it at young women - possibly a mistake? - with references to bridget jones-esque wallowing in self pity, eating ben and jerrys, and saying being depressed is pointless.
    Question 8. I babbled about teenagers turning into mindless, shut off prisoners with their iPods and such.

When it came to re-reading what I'd written, i winced.

zhivago, I used rhetorical questions in 7 and 8 as well, infact, I probably overused them.

Does anyone know the grade boundaries? I know OCR keep them awfully high

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but how is that an analysis? How can you analysis and review why we should look forward if we only look at one side? And then how can you comment on what you think? I know we weren't supposed to argue, which I did too much of, but I don't see how you can analysis one side. I dunno, I'm f u cked basically.
    I'm not sure. It might of meant just analyse the extracts they gave you on ONE SIDE. I chose the Elenor Roosevelt and the one above it, said if I agreed, why and explained the point in more detail. The one where it said 'we shape the furture ourselves' I refered to scientists etc.

The only thing I'm worried about is the short stories, I just went on about the words he used and how that reflected unhappines. Nothing else. Is this completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have time to re-read! And I overused rhetorics too. I'm now worried that the examiner thinks I've argued a bit of both sides for question 8. Which I didn't. But I did say a bit of what the opposition thought, and then continued to demolish that opinion. They won't see that as for and against, right? Because I only said what the other people thought, I never agreed with their opinion. In fact I said something like in order to strengthen my argument against and then I quickly glossed over what they thought, and argued against it. That's ok right?

The second one. *wince*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarK LinK)
    I'm not sure. It might of meant just analyse the extracts they gave you on ONE SIDE. I chose the Elenor Roosevelt and the one above it, said if I agreed, why and explained the point in more detail. The one where it said 'we shape the furture ourselves' I refered to scientists etc.

The only thing I'm worried about is the short stories, I just went on about the words he used and how that reflected unhappines. Nothing else. Is this completely wrong?
    No it said you can ignore them extracts .... which I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarK LinK)

i analysed by explaining there is hope with the roosevelt quote and the one above but then said that to make that hope happen we actually have to do something about it and said what would happen if we didnt. And then concluded saying we have hope but for it to be a reality we have to act now

ReputationRep:

Yeah I mentioned the Roosevelt one too....see, I did look forward to the future! I just thought it was important that to "comment" on why we should. Other people said they mentioned Global Warming in that one, and GW isn't exactly a good thing, so hopefully, I'll be ok. Although now I'm more worried than before...

I basically did what you did in the short stories, but for the other question. But I did that too last year, and got 100% in the exam, so you'll be ok. Thing is though I didn't use that many quotes this time around...I couldn't be arsed finding them all!

ReputationRep:
    I basically did what you did in the short stories, but for the other question. But I did that too last year, and got 100% in the exam, so you'll be ok. Thing is though I didn't use that many quotes this time around...I couldn't be arsed finding them all!
    I chose 'The tall woman and her short husband' I started talking about social isolation and stuff. I'm such a Politics and History geek. Sometimes in gets me into trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the exam was a little rediculous. I also thought it was a little strange to be restricted to presenting just the positive points of the future for question 7 - an analysis should have brought into account both the positive and negative aspects.

Did anybody else find they were "scraping the barrel" for things to write for the 7 and 8? I was really running out of anything to say, but tried to just waffle on.

For the Opening Worlds question I chose 2 and did "Dead Men's Path" and "Train from Rhodesia". I thought this was a greatt question, but I spent a little long on it and I think I f*cked up the conclusion a bit..... oh well.....it's all over now! PLEASE say I got an A*

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.