Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was ok exacpt i hated the whole of sectionB. on question 1 i did Two kinds as well as gold legged frog. the 2 stroys i know the best. if anything else came up i would of died no doubt. i just hope that have enough marks to get the grade c i so badly need. i found paper 1 eaiser than paper 2 and that has always been the case. i don't think i wrote nearly enought though on section B question 8.. i found writing speeachs really hard to do and i just did not have enought idears to answer the question effectivly. i am so not looking forward to getting the results back i am so dead.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I went over the time for question 1, so I had to rush a bit on section B. 7 was a weird question - it's meant to be like writing your thoughts down apparently. And I had to force myself to finish 8 because I was tired towards the end. I also thought that my Q7 was a bit persuasive - it's hard not to be in that Q really! My Q8 used more persuasive techniques though. Overall, I think it was good, although paper 1 was better.

ReputationRep:
    Did question 1- With The Golden Frog plus Tall Woman Short Husband- should of chose the other question but hey I got into a habit. My plan was to do the questions with the passages on the paper which gave me a head start but it didnt work this time as you still had to look at the story as a whole. 7, 8 yep scraped the barrel well and truley. With 7 it took me a while to grasp what the f it was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I also thought it was a little strange to be restricted to presenting just the positive points of the future for question 7 - an analysis should have brought into account both the positive and negative aspects
    Thank God someone thinks the same! However, I did bring in positive and negative aspects, becaue I thought exactly the same as you. How can an analysis be one sided, and more to the point how can you review something without weighing up pros and cons? And how can I comment on my opinion on something, if I haven't given one!? However, now I'm wishing I hadn't because I don't think I was supposed to. Eek. And like everyone says, I too persuaded and argued way too much in Q7.

For those who chose "Two Kinds" in Q1b) or whatever it was. What cultural points did you make?

ReputationRep:
    1. I did question two on short stories and chose "The Gold Legged Frog" and "Dead Men's Path". I don't know if I really answered the question. Bah. :rolleyes:

2. Crapness. Yes, zhivago you do use both sides when analysing. I went way off. I forgot the format I was supposed to be using and started some silly pseudo-philosophical garbage. I used both postive and negative, but mine was mostly negative because I couldn't think of anything good about the future. I got a bit annoyed at first and wanted to write, "No Future"...

3. I used some of the right techniques, but my speech just sounded stupid in the end.

Utterly pathetic.

I loved how it was about the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Thank God someone thinks the same! However, I did bring in positive and negative aspects, becaue I thought exactly the same as you. How can an analysis be one sided, and more to the point how can you review something without weighing up pros and cons? And how can I comment on my opinion on something, if I haven't given one!? However, now I'm wishing I hadn't because I don't think I was supposed to. Eek. And like everyone says, I too persuaded and argued way too much in Q7.

For those who chose "Two Kinds" in Q1b) or whatever it was. What cultural points did you make?
    I wouldn't worry. I was tempted to throw in some negatives as well, but didn't because I always try to focus in on exactly what the question is asking. I've looked at some past papers and most give the opportunity for a two-sided response, I'm a little annoyed at how restricted we were with Q7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    1. I did question two on short stories and chose "The Gold Legged Frog" and "Dead Men's Path". I don't know if I really answered the question. Bah. :rolleyes:

2. Crapness. Yes, zhivago you do use both sides when analysing. I went way off. I forgot the format I was supposed to be using and started some silly pseudo-philosophical garbage. I used both postive and negative, but mine was mostly negative because I couldn't think of anything good about the future. I got a bit annoyed at first and wanted to write, "No Future"...

3. I used some of the right techniques, but my speech just sounded stupid in the end.

Utterly pathetic.

I loved how it was about the future.
    LOL! I ended up getting all philosophical as well :rolleyes: I started drifting into the "the future is just what we will make it" and other complete rubbish because I had NOTHING left to say. Ditto for the speech as well, I tried to throw in some similes, methaphors, rhetorics and stuff but in the end my speech was a little rediculous (let alone short ~ 2 sides! :eek: ) I seemed to be the only one who didn't need extra paper outside of the 8-page answer booklet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my speech was quite short too.

ReputationRep:
    It's quality not quantity Thats what they prefer! Although I don't think I wrote enough for the last two questions- I only did 1 side for each! The analysis, review and comment one, surely you should put your opinions and review the matter for what you think of it!

ReputationRep:
    The analysis, review and comment one, surely you should put your opinions and review the matter for what you think of it!
    Hopefully. Well that's what I did anyway. I did ignore the question a bit because I put negative aspects in it. But at the same time, isn't the only reason the future is hopeful, because we weigh the positives and negatives up, and the positives come out on top? That's what I did anyway.

My speech was short too. I killed the rhetorical questioning. And I used this technique where I was sort of like: "What is a slave? blah blah. We're obviously not slaves to these items then". It was supposed to flippant and sarcastic. If you understand. It came out like I was literally trying to prove that we weren't slaves to electronic items. God Forbid! They're gonna think I'm soooo stupid. It was supposed to be a certain type of humour though.

No Future, and seaspray, you've kind of reassured me that analysing requires both sides. But I guess it depends whether they allow it or not, seen as they didn't specify it on the question. Hopefully they'll assume I'm "thinking outside the box"!!

The first one...ahem. Way too brief. I struggled to find decent quotes in the non-annotated text. Did anyone else find this problem? The bloody short stories aren't short at all. They're full length novels. I didn't get that many in, because I was spending too long finding the ones relevant to the question!

ReputationRep:
    The first one...ahem. Way too brief. I struggled to find decent quotes in the non-annotated text. Did anyone else find this problem? The bloody short stories aren't short at all. They're full length novels. I didn't get that many in, because I was spending too long finding the ones relevant to the question!
    That's why I specifically chose Dead Men's Path and Train from Rhodesia. They are both pretty short and we have read them so many times at school that I pretty much know where every key line is. I don't know if it's true or not, but my English teacher said she thought that the grade boundaries (which are infamous for being rediculously high for English) will be dragged down a bit for June examinations - as these are the first ones ever taken without annotated books. I wish our school entered us for English in January instead. I don't really understand how one can't get an A* with a well annotated copy of the book in front of them in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Q1 for opening worlds- Am I the only person that done this question. I found it quite easy do write about cos I just said about how their poverty makes the reader feel unhappy and how the difference in culture makes you feel unhappy etc. I done Gold legged frog and train from rhodesia. I think I done just over 2 pages on this Q.

Q7- took me a few minutes to actually understand the question as I thought we were going to a discuss the postives and negatives of something but I just wrote postives on this Q as that is what it said to do. I wrote stuff like if people didn't have hope for the future our socity would never be able to move on and if peopel didn't look to the future then then we wouldn't have the technology we have today. I also put something in about the amount of oil on earth running out.

Q8- Feel pretty confident about this Q. I wrote a list of all the persuasive techniques then ticked them of as I used them so I should score quite high. I also revised a speech a couple of hours before the exam so was well pleased when that turned up.

Overall quite confident about the paper as I was with paper 1.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry can anyone remember what the analysis and review question was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    That's why I specifically chose Dead Men's Path and Train from Rhodesia. They are both pretty short and we have read them so many times at school that I pretty much know where every key line is. I don't know if it's true or not, but my English teacher said she thought that the grade boundaries (which are infamous for being rediculously high for English) will be dragged down a bit for June examinations - as these are the first ones ever taken without annotated books. I wish our school entered us for English in January instead. I don't really understand how one can't get an A* with a well annotated copy of the book in front of them in the exam.
    I have heard the same thing about them taking the grade boundaries down cos of the non annotated books. I actually took OCR english language paper1 foundation in January and got 62/62 C the extra 2 coming from good spelling and grammer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by want2know)
    Sorry can anyone remember what the analysis and review question was?
    "What reasons are there to be hopeful for the future?"

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how one can't get an A* with a well annotated copy of the book in front of them in the exam.
    Snap. I don't get it either. I hate skool, it's cool that you did well. I was gonna do Train from Rhodesia as well for that question, but I'd thought I'd start going too much into poverty, which we would kind of detract from the question, because I wouldn't say "poverty" is culture. I knew I'd go into too much poverty detail so I stuck with "Two Kinds" and "Snapshots of a Wedding" instead. Even though I hate SOAW.

Can anyone remember exactly how the second question was phrased? I know it said what reasons, and not [I]why[I].

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I've just asked the same thing - simultaneous posting!

ReputationRep:
    I have the paper right here..... are you talking about Question 2? If so, it was "The stories in this collection are set in different cultures. Explore how events in two of the stories are influenced by culture"

ReputationRep:
    "What reasons are there to be hopeful for the future?"
    God! Now I'm looking at it, I still can't choose what I'd do if I had another go at it. I just hope that even if a balanced response isn't required, it doesn't bring me down! Surely the fact that non of the "bad" things are really that "bad" are reasons to be hopeful for the future? Eek...

ReputationRep:
    Snap. I don't get it either. I hate skool, it's cool that you did well. I was gonna do Train from Rhodesia as well for that question, but I'd thought I'd start going too much into poverty, which we would kind of detract from the question, because I wouldn't say "poverty" is culture. I knew I'd go into too much poverty detail so I stuck with "Two Kinds" and "Snapshots of a Wedding" instead. Even though I hate SOAW.

Can anyone remember exactly how the second question was phrased? I know it said what reasons, and not [I]why[I].
    I limited myself to writing a paragraph about poverty on each story then moving on. I also felt I was able to link train from rhodesia and gold legged frog quite well as that are actually quite similiar.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.