Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought the question was a bit vague on the task set - I think the question should have been far more prescriptive on what you were and weren't supposed to do - I write from both sides (so analysing), and then commented on what I had written, and then reviewed that into a conclusion - I hope that's fine!

Also, I wrote at double the pace for the first (Hemingway) question, since I did the same amount in 35 mins (4 pages), than i did in 1hr 10mins (2 pages for each question). I feel I skimped a little on the last two, and overdid the first one, but I kept myself strict to the timing - obviously I just had far more to say about the different cultures (even though nothing really came up about cultures in the answer to the question :confused: ).

ReputationRep:
    Some of you have said you went over the top on poverty. I don't think this actually matters aslong as you relate this back to the actual Q and didn't repeat yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea what % I need for a C on:

OCR eng language higher?
    OCR eng literature higher?

I would have though around 50% for both but in mot sure.
    How come you say you feel really confident about the paper, and yet you're asking what the grade boundary is for a C?

henryt, I'm glad you wrote from both sides too. Puts me at ease a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    What question did you do for one? And what points did you make? How did you go about questions one and two? Technique etc (sorry for the Spanish inquisition lol)
    First question was to describe how the writer creates a sad mood (or something like that-cnt really remeber). You had to chose Gold legged frog and one other story.

I wrote about the death of the child etc and physical and mental abuse between mother and daughter in two kinds.

Also looked at how (In Two Kinds) actions spoke louder than words. E.g after the recital when it repeats the words ' her face, her stricken face'. Repeated to draw attention.

Some stuff on pain. E.g How in Gold Legged frog the peasant described how he was indiscribably angy at the weather and splinters in his feet. Then looked at emotional pain in Two Kinds. E.g when she said 'such a sad ugly girl'

Some stuff on emotional pain in Gold legged frog, e.g. when it says that the mother cried for her dying son.

FOR QUESTION 2: talked about how future will hold new prospects for medicine, Technology. Talked a lot about electric cars and how they will reduce global warming, road accidents and respiratory diseases (e.g. Ashthma). Talked about how Africa vaccines have increased. Fighting poverty and disease.

Didn;t think i did too well on the first question though. I spoent too much time talking about Two Kinds and only about 3/4 of the page on Gold legged frog.

ReputationRep:
    How come you say you feel really confident about the paper, and yet you're asking what the grade boundary is for a C?

henryt, I'm glad you wrote from both sides too. Puts me at ease a bit.
    It's not only you that is feeling more confident now! We're not alone in our battle against poorly designed GCSE questions that go something along the lines of "What reasons are there to be hopeful for the future?". Grrrr :mad: Evil OCR!

If its any further reassurance Zhigavo, most of the people in my class who are far better at English than me evaluated both sides like me - I think it acts as a lever for you to bounce your points off eachother and to contrast them.
    (Gawd - I have to stop writing as though I'm still doing English GCSE - that sounded like the waffle i put into all my papers! )

ReputationRep:
    lol! Well, there's a certain amount of pressure on me I guess, because English is supposed to be my subject. You know when you have like your subject if you get me? Am I making sense? Like yours may be French, seen as you already have your GCSE in it. I got 100% in a past paper we did last year, and I'm quite enthusiastic about it so I think everyone expects me to do well, and above all, I want to do well, which is why I'm feeling so rubbish about my performance!

To the contrary of what you said, none of the people I know did the evaluation thing for question seven, which worried me even more, but I'm glad that you and a few others did, it may mean lots more did too. OCR is evil indeed (although they weren't on the History paper!), and waffle was also my key ingredient in the English exams (see what I did there )

ReputationRep:
    lol! Well, there's a certain amount of pressure on me I guess, because English is supposed to be my subject. You know when you have like your subject if you get me? Am I making sense? Like yours may be French, seen as you already have your GCSE in it. I got 100% in a past paper we did last year, and I'm quite enthusiastic about it so I think everyone expects me to do well, and above all, I want to do well, which is why I'm feeling so rubbish about my performance!

To the contrary of what you said, none of the people I know did the evaluation thing for question seven, which worried me even more, but I'm glad that you and a few others did, it may mean lots more did too. OCR is evil indeed (although they weren't on the History paper!), and waffle was also my key ingredient in the English exams (see what I did there )
    i know what you mean. im under pressure in english for that respect to, especially as in the past i used to wing it without revising and still manage star. im going to get mocked forever if i dont do well.

ReputationRep:
    wont the grade boundries be lower then in previous year, or they will make easier as we are not allowed to take annotated books in any more? just an idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottomness)
    wont the grade boundries be lower then in previous year, or they will make easier as we are not allowed to take annotated books in any more? just an idea?
    I was told by my English teacher that the question difficulty level will remain the same, but grade boundaries will be slightly reduced to accommodate the fact that no annotated books were allowed.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.