The Student Room Group

University Choices

Hi, i have been looking at my options recently and as i have already applied and been accepted for maths at manchester. The problem is i think that theres a big chance that p5 and p6 aren't going to go that well for me so i might have to retake those modules next year with a few physics modules to do aswell. Do universities have a problem with students who take a year out to improve their A-level grades or is it likely that if i do better my grades i will get offers from the likes of Imperial and UCL. At the moment Manchester University have offered me ABB to study maths. Do you know anyone is this situation and wants to go to a better university in one years time.
Reply 1
I know that Manchester said to me that they are flexible about anything apart from the first normal maths A-level- they want everyone to get an A in that (and a strong one if possible, as those who get weak As apparently struggle a little), but they said to me that they're known for letting in people who miss their grades slightly. I know this is answering a slightly different question, but I thought I'd let you know that. I'm guessing they asked for an A in maths and a B in further maths then?

I do also know that some of the very top universities in the country also have a problem with people who are wanting to take maths at university and take a year out- to give an example of the problem, my brother took 10 months out from finishing his degree at Imperial to starting a PhD and it wasn't even like he wasn't doing maths related work- it was, and yet he still had to work for a year to catch up the time he has spent away from the subject. Around now your brain is the most fertile, especially for mathematics and the like, and therefore the really top universities prefer people who come straight away.

Hope this all helps, and it isn't all set in stone, so whatever you do I'm sure things'll work out.
Reply 2
thanks you've been a great help. Ill probably decide to go straight away to university but it all depends on what grades i get. Thanks again

Latest