Questions about Golf Watch

sm12345
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
1, Are there any organised competitions for students?

2, Is it easy to get a tee time, especially on the old course?

3, Can students sign on guests to any course, how much is this?
Sambo2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you can (I think... ) buy a residents ticket which costs something like £100 - with this you can then play any course as long as you can get a tee time - the old course is done on a ballot so it's pot luck but easier to get on in the winter as there are less names in the ballot. The golf club has a weekly medal for students every week which you can play on the old, new or jubilee but are gaurenteed a tee time on one of the later to - cant remember which?? - I'm not a student btw, just did some research into this.
Bucky!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also, for the old course you need a handicap certificate proving your handicap is 24 or under (36 or under for ladies), or a letter of introduction from your home club.
Wasps26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Men's golf club will have weekly medals and friendly games, the Ladies do the same. Both clubs have first teams, the Ladies are planning on having a second team (a less formal team consisted of players who aren't good enough to be in the first but want to improve etc), I'm sorry I don't know if the men have a second team or a group like this.

Its really quite easy to get a tee time if you're organised enough, certainly the New/Jubilee/Eden/Strath or easy enough to get on (its not worth booking for the Balgove, just turn up and play), the New and the Jubilee course are a little more popular but its still easy to find a free slot. You can call a couple of days before, or reserve your slot online on Linksnet the online booking service. The Old course and the Castle course are a little more difficult to get on. The Castle course is still pretty new, and as such pretty popular, so worth planning in advance if you want a specific time. As for the Old course, like Bucky and Sambo said its a ballot system so whether you get a tee time is pot luck, but as a student you're treated as locals, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that local residents are given specially reserved slots during the day, just like the R&A members, so you're a little more likely to get a tee time. You'll need your handicap certificate (or letter as Bucky said) in order to play. It being Open year next year, demand for tee times will no doubt sky rocket as we get into the high season (April-October) of 2010, and there will be some disruption to Old course tee times during the earlier months because of prep for the Open. They've been doing work to the Old for the last year, and I believe they still have some to do and it will therefore be closed for maintenance days and obviously also when there's a tournament on. The New and the Jubilee will also face disruption all year, as they border the Old course and are used as practice grounds etc when there are big tournaments on (like the Dunhill), the Eden and the Strath should see less disruption but will see some as it gets closer to July. Obviously there will be an awful lot of people trying to play the Old course in its near finished Open layout in the months leading up to and after July, thats if you're still about by then! But it may well have an effect on us students through March, April and May.

As for guests and prices, well I'm not completely sure I'm afraid, I've never taken a guest out with me! Best to enquire at the Eden clubhouse when you go to get your yearly links ticket (assuming you're getting one of these!). The yearly links tickets vary in price but all allow you unlimited play on whichever courses are covered by your ticket, to get the full ticket (which covers all seven courses) you need your handicap certificate and £170, oh and if you want a slightly more flattering picture on your card then best to bring a passport sized photo, although the very nice ladies in the clubhouse also have their own camera if you don't bring one! (The tickets are done while you wait, they only take 5 mins or so, and its best to head on over during freshers week (a weekday), thats when most people get them done). The restricted ticket (5 courses, NOT including the Old and the Castle) for those who don't have a handicap or don't wish to play the Old or Castle course is £100. I think there's one available for just the beginners courses (the Strath and the Balgove) too but I don't know how much it costs, sorry.

I hope that answers some of your questions, sorry about the ones I couldn't answer! I'm a member of the Ladies golf club and completely golf obsessed (I even chose my hall this year on its proximity to the practice centre!), you'll find me on a course/at the driving range/on the practice green pretty much every day! So if you have any more golfing questions then I'll do my best to give you a half decent answer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads