The Student Room Group

Ibuprofen --- heart attacks

News:
It has been found that painkillers such as Ibuprofen can increase the chances of heart attacks. Research has found 24% increase in likelihood of heart attacks if painkillers are used regularly...hmmm, frightening.
However, doctors say not to worry and continue taking medication.

...what do you think?...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sceptical of taking too much of any medication, so tbh i'm not too surprised by this finding. Having said that, its a very commonly used drug, so it is pretty worrying they'd not picked up on any link before hand.
Is this confirmed research btw?
If a drug can do some good then there's also the chance it can do some harm. I wouldn't go panicking and throwing all your ibuprofen away ... if you're on a higher prescription dose long term then maybe go talk it through with your doctors.

Seems like COX inhibitors are getting a bit of a reputation for causing heart problems though (rofecoxib [a COX-2 selective inhibitor] was withdrawn only last year due to similar problems).
Reply 3
Mimo
News:
It has been found that painkillers such as Ibuprofen can increase the chances of heart attacks. Research has found 24% increase in likelihood of heart attacks if painkillers are used regularly...hmmm, frightening.
However, doctors say not to worry and continue taking medication.

...what do you think?...

I think it's scaremongering [and the research is dodgy to begin with :wink:].

Even if the research is right - it will mean that an acute unit will see something like 1501 heart attacks, rather than it's normal 1500. Not insignificant, but compare it to the cost to health if people stop using NSAIDs - that alone could kill more people!
Reply 4
Fluffy
I think it's scaremongering [and the research is dodgy to begin with :wink:].

Even if the research is right - it will mean that an acute unit will see something like 1501 heart attacks, rather than it's normal 1500. Not insignificant, but compare it to the cost to health if people stop using NSAIDs - that alone could kill more people!

Especially if you consider all those on aspirin :wink:
I actually was swallowing 2 ibuprofen while this was on the news, i nearly choked when i saw it!
LOL as usual the TV news reporting of it is just overblown sensationalism. I haven't read the BMJ article, but Nottingham Uni's press release about it doesn't seem to be that worrying.
Helenia
Especially if you consider all those on aspirin :wink:

Yeah I was thinking that too.

Have they published a proper research paper on it anyone know? Would be interesting to read that rather than the scaremongering news article.
Reply 8
I have no opinion. If I were a doctor/medical researcher I would but without the proper knowledge whatever i say means nothing.
what i thought when i first saw it ....doh!

If your having to take painkillers regularly - your very definitly not well. If your not well, then your more likely to have a heart attack.

It's all about cause and effect...

love Katy***
i've got to take ibroprofen for knee complaints i'd rather have the tablets than the pain. there's so much research out there at the moment that is just scaremongering, there really should be some rule about realing these details to the public becuase a lot of the less well informed people will overeact. for example mmr and now we've just had a huge mumps breakout where i live!
Reply 11
Thats scary :eek:

I take lots of Ibuprofen for period pains along with feminax and also take it for my dodgy ankle.

My poor grandad takes it everyday for his bad knee :eek: :frown:
Reply 12
This is a massively complex area and this paper's (it is published this week in the BMJ) conclusion are more tentative than portrayed in the media.

It is an excellent paper considering the complexity of the area and will undoubtedly stimulate large amounts of further research.

The reasons for this finding are unclear - spurious results, underactivity of participants on NSAIDs or reduction of prophylactic effect of aspirin (which has been shown with ibuprofen but not shown to be a class effect so unlikely).

It does add further weight to the argument that perhaps ibuprofen should become a prescription only drug. This is likely to hugely add to the workload of GPs - but the horrific gastric effects along with the relative contra-indications with renal disease, asthma and hypertension - perhaps mean this drug should not be available in Tesco!
Reply 13
Vixen
Thats scary :eek:

I take lots of Ibuprofen for period pains along with feminax and also take it for my dodgy ankle.

My poor grandad takes it everyday for his bad knee :eek: :frown:

Dr Hamish Meldrum, chairman of the British Medical Association's GPs committee, said: "Patients should be reassured that although this study raises some questions there is no need to panic, and patients should not suddenly stop taking their medicines."
Reply 14
Medicine isn't good for you full stop! It shouldn't surprise you that taking a poison increases your risk of a heart attack.
Reply 15
^^^^

What kind of idiot are you???
Ataloss
perhaps mean this drug should not be available in Tesco!

Unless it's one with a pharmacy :wink:
Reply 17
i tink its very worrying! i take ibruprofen everytym i am in pain and there isnt any way i can live without taking tablets! I always get knee pains or sumthing im so worried now :confused:
Reply 18
I avoid taking painkillers if possible - always have. I just reckon the less you can get away with the better. Having said that, 3am last night I got the ibuprofen out (damn period pains!) only to hear that ^^ on the radio this morning. Meh, doesn't worry me really.. plenty of other dangerous things about to panic over if you're that way inclined. Apathy has its uses :smile:

(I have no idea what I'm posting, I'm awake on espresso..)
I'm a bit worried cuz I take Diclofenac three times a day every day and it's all in that group. I'm more worried that they're gonna take them off the market all together. But at what stage is the research? I guess we'll see what people have to say abwt it.

Latest

Trending

Trending