USB Ethernet Port? Watch

LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys,

I just had a tech guy from my university check out my internet connection issues and it seems like the ethernet port on my laptop is naff. He gave two possible solutions - get the port replaced (which he said might be very expensive as the port is most likely attached to the motherboard, which would mean I would need to pay for a new motherboard) or get an adapter for the card slot on the side or one of the USB ports.

Basically, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I don't have my loan through yet, so I don't exactly have the money to spend on anything expensive, but I really don't know what sort of prices these go for. Any help in finding something cheap but that will do the job would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Please and Thank you
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.dabs.com/products/startec...apte-5JSH.html

£10 for all your networking needs!
Citation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're looking for something like this then http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ether.../dp/B0002AFKN0 . Used that exact one for a good 6 months (until I got the port replaced) and it worked like a charm! I paid about £20 for that one, though it no longer seems to be available, at least on Amazon

There's this one here from Maplins (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15) but who knows what the quality is like and I've never really trusted Maplins and their pricing.

Edit: As proven by mikey and the same product being half price on Dabs :-P
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-TO-Fast-Et...d=p3286.c0.m14

They are even cheaper on ebay, but check first if they are usb 1 or usb 2.0, for whichever network speed you need (i.e. don't buy a usb 1 one, if you want to use fast (10mbps+) internet connections, as the data transfer rate doesn't support above 12mbps)
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Cool, these are all great Thanks guys

Edit: The one from dabs doesn't list vista as one of the operating system it works on. Would it still work, or would I be wasting money? I probably should have mentioned my OS in my first post :giggle:
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
I'll have to buy the ebay one, but will have to figure out how to put the address of my accommodation in to the Ebay thingy ...
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Hi again,

I bought the ebay one and it arrived today but I can't seem to actually connect properly with it. It will sporadically load pages, but most of the time it just attempts to load and then stops trying after a few minutes. It says it's USB 1.1, so could that be the problem?

Anyone able to link to any other ones that are a similar price to the ebay one? I have less than £10 to spend on one.
wes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LastLordofTime)
Hi again,

I bought the ebay one and it arrived today but I can't seem to actually connect properly with it. It will sporadically load pages, but most of the time it just attempts to load and then stops trying after a few minutes. It says it's USB 1.1, so could that be the problem?

Anyone able to link to any other ones that are a similar price to the ebay one? I have less than £10 to spend on one.
Well, it'll never be very fast as, like the posters abov said, it can only do 12mbps - most ethernet connections now are 100 or 1000mbs.

The ebay one is cheap because it's absolute crap :p:
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Right, I guess I'll have to wait until my loan comes in so that I can buy a decent one from either PC World or Maplins in town.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise