Mac vs PC Watch

This discussion is closed.
Princesschickenbelly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I want to buy a new computer (not sure whether a laptop or desktop yet). I currently have a Sony Vaio laptop which has served me well but with it only having 1GB memory and Vista taking up most of that 1GB it runs pretty slowly.

I have seen some gorgeous Macs in my time and was thinking of getting one for their pure beauty, but as most people are aware there is a lot of negativity towards Macs; that they are crap and nothing is compatible with them.

Having also been a PC girl my whole life I would have to learn how to work all the features of a Mac.

So my question is: should I stick with a PC or go for a beautiful Mac?
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always go for mac, simpilly becauase i find the software easier to use.

Saying that, for work I have had to install windows on my mac which is a pain!
MikeL230
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
I want to buy a new computer (not sure whether a laptop or desktop yet). I currently have a Sony Vaio laptop which has served me well but with it only having 1GB memory and Vista taking up most of that 1GB it runs pretty slowly.

I have seen some gorgeous Macs in my time and was thinking of getting one for their pure beauty, but as most people are aware there is a lot of negativity towards Macs; that they are crap and nothing is compatible with them.

Having also been a PC girl my whole life I would have to learn how to work all the features of a Mac.

Im the same.

Im going for mac.

Be prepared for apple fanboys and windows fanboys to rage war on this thread.
jayshah31
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only thing I'm going to say is: value for money. Mac hardware is not, (i.e. £1500 Mac spec = £500 PC spec). If you want to pay £1,000 for the nice shiny white effect and it's OS, go right ahead. At the end of the day, I wouldn't. Linux is as 'good' as Mac, and Mac's aren't as bug free as they're made out to be. Nor virus free.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'm on a macbook pro now its awesome
in my opinion they are much nicer to use, and really aren't that expensive in the long run
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
this thread is going to turn into an epic failure, and the OP will be none the wiser as to which OS to choose.

before it gets locked...
OP, at the end of the day, try a mac and a pc. which do you prefer. it's your choice. they both do things equally as well.
dring
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Princesschickenbelly)

The only thing macs don't do as well as pcs is gaming. Games just aren't made for macs. Everything else can be done fine, sometimes with different programs but you can perform the tasks just as easily. You *can* run all windows games in various ways if you want to, but it probably isn't ideal if you're a big gamer.

Other than that, macs are more secure and definitely prettier. The only problem is that they cost more. They are not at all 'crap', and are designed to be easy to use - people get far too worked up about 'OMG what if something is a bit different'.

Only you can decide if the extra money is worth it . If you're going to buy an expensive laptop though, I'd probably go with a mac even if the same price bought a slightly more powerful windows pc.
Citation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In before all hell breaks loose.

Personally mac all the way, I've used them for 7 years and the thing that brings me back? I don't have to faff about with odds and sods when I just want to crack on with some work. Oh and staff discount may have swung the balance when I bought my MacBook Pro.
doggyfizzel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Many people use PCs many use Macs, there are almost no serious compatibility issues for the Mac. Macs generally look nicer, PC are generally cheaper. Value for money is only value for money if you are happy with your product. If you buy a £1000 Mac and are happy with it, its good value. If you buy a £500 PC and aren't happy with it, its not good value. You have to decide whether you think the OS and the light up apple logo are worth the money.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With regards to this topic, use the search function and draw conclusions from previous threads. There's no need for another pointless debate on this topic.

Locked.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.28%
No - but I will (74)
7.5%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (476)
48.23%

Watched Threads