The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Vienna
Are you suggesting that everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level, and if not, what would you propose if you were in government?

No, not everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level. But those who are should be given the chance. Those are my ideals. How to put them into practise is not an easy question to answer, and I am by no means an expert on politics. Even if I made some suggestions, I would be ridiculed by all the authoritarians just for the sake of it.

You obviously disagree with me. Why? And what would you do instead?
Reply 41
inequality
No, not everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level. But those who are should be given the chance. Those are my ideals. How to put them into practise is not an easy question to answer, and I am by no means an expert on politics.

You claim to be a libertarian so you should know roughly what you believe the government should or should not be doing in order to let people have an equal playing field of opportunity.
Reply 42
Peach
Whether illogical or not, I reserve the right to complain about certain legislation. I understand what you are saying, and in theory it makes sense. However, in reality (in terms of my own independent thoughts) I feel that I can support the creation of a large government, whilst still disagreeing with some of their policies. Is it not ok to feel that certain aspects of a political line of thought are 'right', and that others are 'wrong'? Should I just make my mind up one way or the other, and then follow that ideology without questions? Possibly, but I am not sure that I will be able to :smile:

The problem is that having a large government inevitably leads to its misuse of its power. You cannot support the means without supporting the end. You cannot support communism and then say you're against violence, or support capitalism and say you're against inequality. There is a reason why there are so many ideologies in the world: none of them is perfect. You have to decide for yourself what you consider most important, and then follow the ideology that have the same priorities.

TheVlad
I think that, perhaps, this should be "the government should prevent UNequal opportunity", trying to create equal opportunity implies interference in people's individualism.

By that logic, there should be no public schools, public transportation, government-funded maintenance of infrastructure, etc. Market failures do exist, and it's the government's role to eliminate them.
Reply 43
Vienna
You claim to be a libertarian so you should know roughly what you believe the government should or should not be doing in order to let people have an equal playing field of opportunity.

You are questioning my views so you must think you have better ones. I've explained my ideals, which is what I wanted this thread to be about.

Why not discuss yours?
Reply 44
inequality
You are questioning my views so you must think you have better ones. I've explained my ideals, which is what I wanted this thread to be about.

Is a level playing field a libertarian ideal?
Reply 45
Bismarck
The problem is that having a large government inevitably leads to its misuse of its power. You cannot support the means without supporting the end. You cannot support communism and then say you're against violence, or support capitalism and say you're against inequality. There is a reason why there are so many ideologies in the world: none of them is perfect. You have to decide for yourself what you consider most important, and then follow the ideology that have the same priorities.

You're right, no ideology is perfect. The problem is I can't seem to agree enough with any to the point where I can say 'I am a (fill in the blank)'. I didn't vote in the last General Election, purely for this reason.
Reply 46
Peach
You're right, no ideology is perfect. The problem is I can't seem to agree enough with any to the point where I can say 'I am a (fill in the blank)'. I didn't vote in the last General Election, purely for this reason.

Admittedly, there were very few "big ideas" on offer at the election, in stark contrast to those in the US.
Reply 47
inequality
Inequality
Zaf1986
Shadowkin

lol. 3 of my favourite victims.
Reply 48
technik
lol. 3 of my favourite victims.

lol...victims. I love the way you take this forum so seriously.

40+ posts per day on average, and

technik
not always...

when i post then yes you can see...but i could sit for hours just tracking people.

So do you spend hours every day tracking your victims?

Latest

Trending

Trending