Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    My family is incredibly wealthy. What are you going to do for the poor working class boy to help him have as many opportunities on the level playing field as myself?
    Ahh I see what you mean now, sorry. What I meant was make sure that there was a bare minimum for people.

If you like, everyone has a full hand of cards. Obviously you have a very good hand, but what I'm trying to say is make sure that everyone has a complete hand - that everyone is able to succeed if they wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inequality)
    If you like, everyone has a full hand of cards. Obviously you have a very good hand, but what I'm trying to say is make sure that everyone has a complete hand - that everyone is able to succeed if they wish.
    Are you suggesting that everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level, and if not, what would you propose if you were in government?

ReputationRep:
    Are you suggesting that everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level, and if not, what would you propose if you were in government?
    No, not everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level. But those who are should be given the chance. Those are my ideals. How to put them into practise is not an easy question to answer, and I am by no means an expert on politics. Even if I made some suggestions, I would be ridiculed by all the authoritarians just for the sake of it.

You obviously disagree with me. Why? And what would you do instead?

ReputationRep:
    No, not everyone is capable of succeeding to the same level. But those who are should be given the chance. Those are my ideals. How to put them into practise is not an easy question to answer, and I am by no means an expert on politics.
    You claim to be a libertarian so you should know roughly what you believe the government should or should not be doing in order to let people have an equal playing field of opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peach)
    Whether illogical or not, I reserve the right to complain about certain legislation. I understand what you are saying, and in theory it makes sense. However, in reality (in terms of my own independent thoughts) I feel that I can support the creation of a large government, whilst still disagreeing with some of their policies. Is it not ok to feel that certain aspects of a political line of thought are 'right', and that others are 'wrong'? Should I just make my mind up one way or the other, and then follow that ideology without questions? Possibly, but I am not sure that I will be able to
    The problem is that having a large government inevitably leads to its misuse of its power. You cannot support the means without supporting the end. You cannot support communism and then say you're against violence, or support capitalism and say you're against inequality. There is a reason why there are so many ideologies in the world: none of them is perfect. You have to decide for yourself what you consider most important, and then follow the ideology that have the same priorities.

(Original post by TheVlad)
    I think that, perhaps, this should be "the government should prevent UNequal opportunity", trying to create equal opportunity implies interference in people's individualism.
    By that logic, there should be no public schools, public transportation, government-funded maintenance of infrastructure, etc. Market failures do exist, and it's the government's role to eliminate them.

ReputationRep:
    You claim to be a libertarian so you should know roughly what you believe the government should or should not be doing in order to let people have an equal playing field of opportunity.
    You are questioning my views so you must think you have better ones. I've explained my ideals, which is what I wanted this thread to be about.

Why not discuss yours?

ReputationRep:
    You are questioning my views so you must think you have better ones. I've explained my ideals, which is what I wanted this thread to be about.
    Is a level playing field a libertarian ideal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    The problem is that having a large government inevitably leads to its misuse of its power. You cannot support the means without supporting the end. You cannot support communism and then say you're against violence, or support capitalism and say you're against inequality. There is a reason why there are so many ideologies in the world: none of them is perfect. You have to decide for yourself what you consider most important, and then follow the ideology that have the same priorities.
    You're right, no ideology is perfect. The problem is I can't seem to agree enough with any to the point where I can say 'I am a (fill in the blank)'. I didn't vote in the last General Election, purely for this reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peach)
    You're right, no ideology is perfect. The problem is I can't seem to agree enough with any to the point where I can say 'I am a (fill in the blank)'. I didn't vote in the last General Election, purely for this reason.
    Admittedly, there were very few "big ideas" on offer at the election, in stark contrast to those in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Inequality
    Zaf1986
    Shadowkin
    lol. 3 of my favourite victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    lol. 3 of my favourite victims.
    lol...victims. I love the way you take this forum so seriously.

40+ posts per day on average, and

(Original post by technik)
    not always...

when i post then yes you can see...but i could sit for hours just tracking people.
    So do you spend hours every day tracking your victims?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.