Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, plz take the time to read this...

Im really worried about my English Language Paper 2 and need someone to talk to me. I did the first part (poetry) and it went really well. Its the second part I fell down on. I chose to describe about "nightmare world". I got 20 minutes into it and relised it was just not for me... But by then it was too late.

I struggled badly with it, kept changing my ideas and only ended up writing a single page. :mad:
    I am predicted an A, however I really stuggled with this... I regret choosing that question. Normally I can describe, but it just wasn't for me.

Anyway, I did manage to include several similies and made use of punctuation such as semi colons and ellipsis. I kinda panicked when I realised it wasn't flowing right. I ran out of time and had to end it fairly quickly - also I didnt get to read it through .

So now I'm so worried about it. Is it still possible to achieve a decent grade by writing about 1 page and 5 lines, although the question advised around 2 pages, providing I used similies e.t.c?

That section of the paper was only worth 15% of my overall English Language and (coursework was worth 40% which I got an A in).

From what ive told you...

1) Out of 27 marks, which is wht the questions worth, how many do u think it would be possible to get under the circumstances?

2) Is it still possible for me to achieve my A grade?

I'd really appreciate some advice,

Thanks

Davror

(P.S - I'd really appreciate if you could be honest when telling me how you feel it will be - rather than saying you'll be fine - if thts not true).

ReputationRep:
    well if the poetry went well, and paper 1 did i'm sure you will be fine and your courseworks good. its only 15% which isnt actually thattt much. as you have included good language features which are used in description like simlies then im sure you will show the examiner that your good at english. i think you probably didnt write as much as you should which may knock a couple of marks off, but i still think your still be able to get your A so dont worry!

ReputationRep:
    I did exactly-the-same-as-you .. and under-the-same-circumstances.

So we're in the same boat lol

ReputationRep:
    if the quality or what you wrote was good then you should get decent marks, the 27 is split up 18-content, 9- good english, so you should get the 9 and then maybe 10-12 ish if what you wrote was good but as you siad you never got to read it though.

you got any A in you coursework which is 30-35% and you say you did well on paper1 and sectionA paper too, so assume you got A on those that 25% on paper1 and 10% on section A, that

65%- 70% and then add another 7-10% for section b, nworking on these figures it is possible, but english is on eof those subjects where you just dont know, hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guanai)
    I did exactly-the-same-as-you .. and under-the-same-circumstances.

So we're in the same boat lol
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, I see wht ur saying

ReputationRep:
    I only did about a page too. I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your advise!
    Has anyone else got something to say regarding this?
    I would really like to know wht you think...

Davror

ReputationRep:
    I've got to say, it's quality not quantity. And there's no point worrying yourself about it. I've very recently learnt to lighten up about exams; if you pressurize yourself thinking about how well you MUST do and how well you THINK you didn't do in your last exam[strike], you won't reach your potential grade for future exams. The writing to describe bit is worth 15% so I'm sure if you did well in your other exams, you'll bag that A. And if you don't, life goes on mate...life's too short to worry about things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you've done ok, and as everyone else says, its quality not quantity. Anyway, there's no point worrying about it now. Just try to forget about exams after you've done them, and concentrate on the next ones. I'm sure you've done fine.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt matter that you changed ideas, it asked you to describe a nightmare world, not say 1 thing about it, i put about the lower classes and paedophile slowly but surely taking over 2/3 of the world etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the advise!
    I dont know what I'm gonna do... 2 months to wait to find out ...

How easy is it to resit an English Language GCSE?
    Do I,
    (a) Need to redo the coursework?
    (b) Do both paper 1 or 2, or can I just do the one I messed up?
    (c) When could I retake it?
    (d) Will it cost me?

ReputationRep:
    Im sure you've done fine. Remember, everybody had the same problems as you. I wrote less than normal as well.

ReputationRep:
    really dont fink unis care that much wether u got an a or b in a gcse. my friend got into oxford for computing wiv no a* and only a's an b's

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to judge the English boundaries I find, because usually an A* is something like 24/27, and A 21/27..and it keeps going down like that. Its sort of hard to assess how you've done, but I think its still possible for you to get an A as long as your pretty confident about the other sections.

ReputationRep:
    paper 1 last year A* was 45/54 which is 22.5 on each of the sections.. A was 40/54 which is 20.

paper 2 was 46/54 which is 23 on each... 41 for an A which is 21.5 on each.

if that at all helps you with how you did. obviously coursework marks have to be added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davror)

Do I,
    (d) Will it cost me?
    a) yes probably
    b)both papers need to be done
    c)you would take it in june probably, as they cant release the new terminal paper for retakers early
    d)it will cost you,yes, but go on the board site to see how much.

ReputationRep:
    i see, alrite cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davror)

Do I,
    (d) Will it cost me?
    I doubt youd have to redo the coursework - it will be the same topics

Probably have to retake both papers

Retake it same time next year

It will probably ost you (about £30), though your school mgiht pay if you got a lot lower than you were predicted

I see no reason you couldnt retake it if you payed yourself - the school wont care, and you get bette GCSE without them paying anything.

ReputationRep:
    for all you people who are worried, then there ARE people worse off than you. In my year, and fairly close friends of mine, there are two people, who because we do a diff spec, the argue/pers/advise Q was on the back, and they failed to see it. HOW DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL? one guy was almost guaranteed an A* but after geting 0/27 for one part of the exam, i think his hopes are truly gone

so guys, chill out, it could be worse, so just forget it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.