Is there any way to do a GDL or CPE in Hong Kong? Watch

greatphilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was thinking that since I'd hopefully be spending most of a legal career in London, I'd love to spend a year living abroad, and since Hong Kong has a similar legal system to the UK I was wondering if they offered any GDL or CPE courses that would qualify me to do an LPC in London. Or are there any other countries that would - South Africa, Australia, US?
FindFixStroke
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could do the BPP distance learning GDL over two years. They've got the technology now to make it entirely internet based, so you could do it anywhere in the world.
la sombra del viento
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you can do the GDL at Hong Kong University but its over two years; or you can do the GDL in the UK and then move to HK and to do the LPC there, but it would mean, before embarking on the LPC, studying some modules (4 I think) on HK Law, I keep abreast of studying Law in HK as thinking of going there myself
Colourspinner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're going for the 2-year Law degree in HK, make sure you cover all the seven modules you need for admission to the LPC. But if you want to do the GDL in the UK and then the PCLL (the LPC equivalent in HK), then you have to do the conversion exams. The exact number of exams depend on how many exemptions you can get, but you'll probably have to do around seven including the top-up subjects.
astac
Report 9 years ago
I think there is no such thing as GDL / CPE which is based solely on Hong Kong Law.

If you enrolled in programmes that are based on Hong Kong Law, you are not eligible to proceed to LPC in UK but PCLL in HK.

But there is one programme offered by HKU Space jointly with Manchester Metropolitan Univerity that allows you to do IN HK:

http://hkuspace.hku.hk/web_course/sh...t=ASC&keyword=
la sombra del viento
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The "GDL" in HK is based on English and HK Law; there is no such programme that only covers HK Law, we have to remember that HK continues to follow the English Common Law Tradition.
greatphilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for the links. That HKU Space course with the University of Hong Kong would be perfect, except that unfortunately it's a part-time GDL over two years! I'd rather not take two years out just for the conversion course, that'd be a lot of time and money unfortunately.

The distance-learning BPP course is a nice suggestion but part of the reason I'd want to move abroad is to meet new people on the course, and if I was studying alone that would be difficult!

So is there no way to do a 1-year, full-time GDL abroad? You can only do that in the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (455)
38.04%
No - but I will (90)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (568)
47.49%

Watched Threads