Whats the chances of me getting into Nottingham or Reading? (CompSki) Watch

Zymic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok so ive been to look at nottingham (computer science) and will be going to look at reading soon. I'm just wondering whether I'm thinking realistically because these places will be my top choices respectively.

My AS grades were bcux.
- I will be predicted an A for A2 in graphics.
- I will be predicted a B for A2 in computing.
- I got an X in economics because I missed the exam and hated the subject and the teacher.
- I got a U in Business out of the blue!? when i was predicted a B/C My college is getting it remarked because they have read through it ect..
-------------------
I have taken up an AS in photography for a year.
I have taken up an AS in media studies for a year.

At the end of the second year I will be hoping for: ABbb(d/e)
Which more than meets the requirements of both universities, I will have a very good personal statement and I have alot of programming experience in multiple languages. But for some reason I just don't feel confident of getting a place!

Thanks if you take the time to read and reply!
9MmBulletz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zymic)
Ok so ive been to look at nottingham (computer science) and will be going to look at reading soon. I'm just wondering whether I'm thinking realistically because these places will be my top choices respectively.

My AS grades were bcux.
- I got an X in economics because I missed the exam and hated the subject and the teacher.
- I got a U in Business out of the blue!? when i was predicted a B/C My college is getting it remarked because they have read through it ect..
-------------------

Which more than meets the requirements of both universities, I will have a very good personal statement and I have alot of programming experience in multiple languages. But for some reason I just don't feel confident of getting a place!

dude im in the same position, passed only 2 AS'. However I got good passes- nearly an A in maths and a C in economics. you should be fine providing you fulfill the course requirements and your personal statement is bangin
parkes53
Report 9 years ago
notts offered me bbc this year, when the the guidline offer was ABB-BBC so for them to offer the lowest part of that implies to me that they arent over run with applicants. I'm off to loughborough though
mituozo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zymic)

My AS grades were bcux.
-------------------

You could really do with something in Maths for Computer Science, also lots of universities don't count AS' in their point offers (I'm not sure about Reading) and photography/media studies aren't really looked upon very highly as preparation for a Computer Science course. Can't you take an AS in maths or something instead?

Edit: Nottingham asks for:

For students with A Levels, the typical offer range is ABB to BBC, depending on background and experience. We will usually expect a minimum of grade B in either Computer Science or Mathematics (see table above).

So you wouldn't meet that due to missing a 3rd A level.

Reading ask for:

UCAS Tariff: 300 points from 3 A levels or 340 points from 3 A levels and 1 AS.

So that suggests you wouldn't have the required grades for either of them..
Zymic
Rep:
?
(Original post by mituozo)
You could really do with something in Maths for Computer Science, also lots of universities don't count AS' in their point offers (I'm not sure about Reading) and photography/media studies aren't really looked upon very highly as preparation for a Computer Science course. Can't you take an AS in maths or something instead?

Edit: Nottingham asks for:

For students with A Levels, the typical offer range is ABB to BBC, depending on background and experience. We will usually expect a minimum of grade B in either Computer Science or Mathematics (see table above).

So you wouldn't meet that due to missing a 3rd A level.

Reading ask for:

UCAS Tariff: 300 points from 3 A levels or 340 points from 3 A levels and 1 AS.

So that suggests you wouldn't have the required grades for either of them..
I just read on the general grade requirements for nottingham that 'in exceptional cases' an offer could be made to someone with two A2 and two AS (or something along those lines)
mituozo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zymic)
I just read on the general grade requirements for nottingham that 'in exceptional cases' an offer could be made to someone with two A2 and two AS (or something along those lines)
Yeah but it varies a lot department to department, I'd reccommend phoning the computing departments at both and explaining your situation and asking them if it was worth you applying.
Zymic
Rep:
?
(Original post by mituozo)
Yeah but it varies a lot department to department, I'd reccommend phoning the computing departments at both and explaining your situation and asking them if it was worth you applying.
Ok, would email be as good as phoning? or would talking to them be better in this situation? Thanks for the advice!
mituozo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zymic)
Ok, would email be as good as phoning? or would talking to them be better in this situation? Thanks for the advice!
Well admissions have a tendancy not to email back (or if they do take an awful long time) if you phone you'll find out straight away. At least if they then say that you'd definately need 3 A2's or something you won't waste a spot where you could have applied elsewhere .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.12%
No - but I will (32)
6.2%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.9%

Watched Threads