Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just kicking off another history thread.... what is the use of history in modern society?
    I'll start off.....
    I think that if you don't know your past you can't know that the future can be different from the present. Therefore, history is a catalyst for change (for the better hopefully!) in our society.
    What do you think?
    xxx Claire xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    Just kicking off another history thread.... what is the use of history in modern society?
    I'll start off.....
    I think that if you don't know your past you can't know that the future can be different from the present. Therefore, history is a catalyst for change (for the better hopefully!) in our society.
    What do you think?
    xxx Claire xxx
    History teaches us one thing. We never learn from it.

ReputationRep:
    I find local history interesting especially during the Second World War. But other history i think is boring, especially other countries and places i dont have any interest in. I didnt like History when i did it, except the 2WW stuff and i liked it then cause i could do it about Bristol, where i live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    History teaches us one thing. We never learn from it.
    Not quite, human nature is always the same, people act in predictable ways! It is just the preconditions that may be different, for example economic structures or religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_bristolian)
    I find local history interesting especially during the Second World War. But other history i think is boring, especially other countries and places i dont have any interest in. I didnt like History when i did it, except the 2WW stuff and i liked it then cause i could do it about Bristol, where i live.
    That is an essential part of historical study though-i find local history fascinating! It's good showing that Essex hasn't always been the home of slappers and Ford Capri cars but Queen Mary's palaces, influential Earls and key suffragists in the franchise movement.
    xxx Claire xxx

ReputationRep:
    Understanding -> perspective -> knoweldge (both past and present) - > self knoweldge-> ultimate human quest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Understanding -> perspective -> knoweldge (both past and present) - > self knoweldge-> ultimate human quest.
    I take your point but why, if history leads to self knowledge, do people not enjoy history and how comes they aren't interested in it? Are they not ready for self knowledge?
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I take your point but why, if history leads to self knowledge, do people not enjoy history and how comes they aren't interested in it? Are they not ready for self knowledge?
    xxx
    Some people prefer blissful ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    the past doesnt help ur "self" to grow it simply lets u understand the things that u find ****ed up about the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    the past doesnt help ur "self" to grow it simply lets u understand the things that u find ****ed up about the world
    Studying history helps you to understand man's actions and the thoughts in the situation in which he found himself in. Understanding this can not but help you understand yourself.

P.S Apologies for the gender specifics. Any suggestions on how I can rephrase what I just said that to avoid them would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Studying history helps you to understand man's actions and the thoughts in the situation in which he found himself in. Understanding this can not but help you understand yourself.

P.S Apologies for the gender specifics. Any suggestions on how I can rephrase what I just said that to avoid them would be appreciated.
    people are very different whether you want to believe it or not. u cant compare urself to other people bcuz people can be anything from having the mind of a dog to the mind of freud or whatever. knowing people helps u react better in situtations, but it does not help u understand urself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    people are very different whether you want to believe it or not. u cant compare urself to other people bcuz people can be anything from having the mind of a dog to the mind of freud or whatever. knowing people helps u react better in situtations, but it does not help u understand urself
    The fact that people are very different is exactly why studying history is interesting and important. Universality does not exist though, not simply because people are "born different" but because of how they are shaped by the society in which they live in and in how they relate to it. Understanding this helps us understand ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people are very different is exactly why studying history is interesting and important. Universality does not exist though, not simply because people are "born different" but because of how they are shaped by the society in which they live in and in how they relate to it. Understanding this helps us understand ourselves.
    sadly trying to understand people is much too different when u accept that people in fact ARE different
    comparing myself to someone with narcissistic behaviors is in fact not going to help me because we are two very different thinkers

there are personality disorders, and trying to understand urself by comparing urself to this will not help u understand urself

in fact narcissism is due to in fact partly by paranoia, and comparing urself to paranoid schizophrenics only works out if ur surrounded by these people. times change, and i people really dont understand just how much. i believe i evolved from monkeys, but watching monkeys wont help me to better myself if im trying to better myself by being, in fact, MYSELF. but then again i guess u can argue with this all day if u dont believe in individuality and transcending urself by doing less comparisons, less focus on the past

people who are the happiest are normally those who forgive their past and other people, realizing things that happened can often be completely out of character and unnatural choices. i could instinctively want to eat an apple, but my individuality and free-will also gives me the opportunity to say, hey, i dont have to eat that ****ing apple! sure, i may die if i dont eat it, but i have that choice now don't i?

people hold a thing called an EGO which IS shaped by society, and therefore history, being as different as it is, can't help u bcuz u arent shaped by it--society as a whole may, but u can only do as much to change urself one at a time

looking at the "big picture" is normally deceiving bcuz instinctively people see strength in numbers, and neglect truth bcuz of it

history plays favorites, as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)

people hold a thing called an EGO which IS shaped by society, and therefore history, being as different as it is, can't help u bcuz u arent shaped by it--society as a whole may, but u can only do as much to change urself one at a time
    If history shapes society then it must shape you, as you are in some way shaped by the society in which you live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    history plays favorites, as well
    This has been a problem yes, I think modern history is moving away from this idea though, with the new focus on social history and the history of "the other".

ReputationRep:
    i personally love history. it was my favorite subject at school.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, i've just started a history degree!! with international relations as well though

ReputationRep:
    If history shapes society then it must shape you, as you are in some way shaped by the society in which you live.
    of course it shapes u, but u have the ability to transcend this which is the point

psychology does the trick a lot better. history just helps u to understand society--which may or may not affect u on a large part

let's put it this way: if everyone was a psychologist, society would be less powerful, and the world would be much more peaceful

times change so quickly however bcuz everyone has the ability to make an choice they want at any given time. i can choose to shoot myself anytime i want to, history wont help u understand this. history will help u understand why we're where we are today, but it wont help u too much in dealing with who u are

rebellion isn't true if people are ignorant...and everyone is ignorant. rebellion is in the eye of the power...unfortunately, individuality tells me we are all free, and people can only suggest to me, rather than force me to make a choice i do not want to. history will only help me to understand the system im currently in, not myself

ReputationRep:
    But “transcending society” isn’t as much transcending it as reacting against it, and studying societal reaction, counter culture and revolution is as much a part of history as anything else.

ReputationRep:

How can you understand the thoughts of people in the past. Peoples thoughts aren't always translated into actions. What is the point of history - it provides a context for events today. How can you understand the Iraq War without understanding the Gulf War, WWII, the Vietnam war etc, all of which are likely to have played on the minds of decision makers.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.