Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I must admit, I have not got the energy or the mind capabilities to argue everything I think is wrong with both arguments, right now. However, i would say two things:
    1. The present is not the past re-enacted (which one of you said that?) because societal mentalities of the middle ages for example, are much different to the mentalities now. Different values and factors were of more importance then rather than now, visa versa
    2. You can learn things about yourself from history- I define myself by my history, family history, local history and national identity. If i did not have a knowledge of this, I would not have the ability to define myself in this way.
    xxxClaire xxx
    We are talking about history--not ur own past. Big difference; stop generalizing.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't rely on my arguments about that! That is what cost me my Cam interview. I ended up going down the line of:
    1. Every historian imparts his/her own views onto the 'facts'
    2. How can 'facts' be facts when they were 'found' by historians who have their own biases
    3. If facts aren't 'true' and no-one knows what happened in the past for certain-how can there be historical truth?
    This argument was swiftly ripped to pieces!

how did he rip it to parts? he argued then that there IS such a thing as historical fact..and if thats the case....what were his responses?

ReputationRep:
    Is it me being thick (i'm sure it is!) or does the word re-enacted imply sameness? So, if it is re-enacted in it's own terms-how can it be re-enacted? Surely it's different if it's in it's own terms? Can you explain what you mean?
    xxxClairexxx
    I think the idea is that history is not the study of a "dead past". Once a historian studies it, and begins to think critically about the events and acts which he is studying it, he is thinking and thereby "re-enacting" it in his own mind, as soon as he does this he is studying "the living past" which in my mind at least, is what History is all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    how did he rip it to parts? he argued then that there IS such a thing as historical fact..and if thats the case....what were his responses?
    Well, actually he asked me 'If there is no historical truth, why are you sitting here wanting to study history at my university?' and he wouldn't take 'Because I like it and it doesn't have to be true to be history, it can be the history of lies' as an answer, suprisingly......!

ReputationRep:
    How would you respond to the question “Do you accept that the Holocaust is a fact of history?”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    stop generalizing.
    Excuse me, what have you just been doing with your pyschology babble? Surely that is one hell of a lot of generalising?

ReputationRep:
    Well, actually he asked me 'If there is no historical truth, why are you sitting here wanting to study history at my university?' and he wouldn't take 'Because I like it and it doesn't have to be true to be history, it can be the history of lies' as an answer, suprisingly......!
    Ahhhh, I think what he was trying to say is that you were reducing History to the mere study of literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I think the idea is that history is not the study of a "dead past". Once a historian studies it, and begins to think critically about the events and acts which he is studying it, he is thinking and thereby "re-enacting" it in his own mind, as soon as he does this he is studying "the living past" which in my mind at least, is what History is all about.
    Oh i get you now, you argue a good point actually-i agree with you

ReputationRep:
    Also, what exactly would be the point of studying “a history of lies”?

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me, what have you just been doing with your pyschology babble? Surely that is one hell of a lot of generalising?
    explain; quote me as i quoted u otherwise ur just trying to support ur own generalizing

ReputationRep:
    lies r a part of history, but lies r fantasy they help those who cant find enjoyment in truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    lies r a part of history, but lies r fantasy they help those who cant find enjoyment in truth
    Well of course lies are a part of History, History is not “the study of lies” though.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course lies are a part of History, History is not “the study of lies” though.
    if lies r a part of history and u study lies from history that seems like studying history to me. if u cannot distinguish fantasy from truth, however, u r simply being entertained

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't actually say that, but I said something equally as lame because I couldn't think of an answer and just wanted to crawl up into a ball and tell him to stop picking on me!

ReputationRep:
    could u give an example of a lie in history? i would be intrested to see what you come up with.

ReputationRep:
    I know he was getting at me reducing history to literature, but at this point I didn't have the knowledge to argue and I had only read Carr before the interview, so didn't even have other people's views to rescue me! Leave me alone, it was last summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    could u give an example of a lie in history? i would be intrested to see what you come up with.
    u burn for an eternity, or u live in a state of bliss after u die based on how u meet those standards

historical lies r those which distort reality--forcing people not to find truth their self is a lie in history that still echoes today, so u can still see proof of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    if lies r a part of history and u study lies from history that seems like studying history to me. if u cannot distinguish fantasy from truth, however, u r simply being entertained
    History is the study of the past, lies are a part of the past therefore History does involve the study of lies. I wouldn’t accept the categorical statement that “History is the study of lies” however.

ReputationRep:
    History is the study of the past, lies are a part of the past therefore History does involve the study of lies. I wouldn’t accept the categorical statement that “History is the study of lies” however.
    ya whoever said that is lying their self lol

ReputationRep:
    I know he was getting at me reducing history to literature, but at this point I didn't have the knowledge to argue and I had only read Carr before the interview, so didn't even have other people's views to rescue me! Leave me alone, it was last summer!
    Aye that's the problem with Carr though, it sounds so wonderful when you read it but if you try and argue exclusively based on his teachings it's so easy to be torn apart. Why didn't you apply to Cam in the end anyway?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.