Turn on thread page Beta

Howas the Edexcel AS phy paper? watch

ReputationRep:
    heyy everyone.. how did ur edexcel AS Phy paper go...
    man i always thought phy 1.. is supposed to be easy.. this time .. the clock thing jus shook me.. i took some time to kinda realize what they asking... otherwise though all my classmates complained bout phy 1 being tough i think it was ok... phy 2 for me was ok .. not EASY... i always thought i could do phy better.. but both wer not easy.. we got Nuclear physics.. as unit 3.. i think that was VERY easy.. but i missed 3 or 4 marks...
    overall physics wasnt that satisfying..... i dun expect an A... but i wish raw maek for an A.. comes REALLY down.. how did u guys do?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they were a tough few papers, but I think I did ok though. The only question I couldn't do was estimating finding the damn area of the loop in that hysteresis graph (solid materials BTW)! I had no idea what shapes I could split that into and I certainly wasn't going to count the squares. If they'd only given the equation of the lines!

ReputationRep:
    man....the clock question in phy 1 freaked me out....it was like i had forgotten how to read time or something........phy1 was the worst one.....i found 2 and 3 really good......solid materials was very easy.....thank god there were mostly calculations

ReputationRep:
    what did you draw on the graph to get the area out?

ReputationRep:
    the area of the hysterisis loop??? well i took the area under the loading curve minus the area under the unloading curve. my answer was 0.8J

ReputationRep:
    PHY1? that was not hard AT ALL.
    the first unit stuff was free marks for taking
    the second page of moments stuff were standard
    the clock stuff were all momments and the effect of gravity on it, and some conversions.
    then i think its the reserviors question which was fine.
    the last bits of the radioactivity was the easiest, short answers. and that was it
    PHY2 is quite abit more nasty
    as for PHY3 i did "Astrophysics" which was medium hard this year but the real killer was the first 3 mark question which i forgot how to derived unit... only relised when times up but i think i did fair

ReputationRep:
    i found all papers really hard...i kno i will fail, better start revison for retake

ReputationRep:
    Found them all incredibly hard. I did the Particle Physics topic.

That stupid clock question.

2 questions on moments! jeeez.

Blatently resitting.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm.. it seems .. wasnt .. good for everyone.. phy 1 .. i think it was better than 2.. or may b im jus feeling that... phy 3 particle phy.. was ok.... i jus feel that i'll endup with a B.. ans thats SO bad... cuz a B in AS means a C in AL... y cant my brain work in the exam !!!!!!!! lols.. ne ways.. hope that A mark gets down.. and.. best of luck for C2

ReputationRep:
    hi,

the way to do it was:

on either side of the loading and unloading tension were a triangle.

so all we had to do was: calculate area of the whole graph b x h then minus it from the two triangles 1/2 (b x h) which would have given you a rough area for the hysteris. i got 1.24 j

and in the next question is says show that the workdone or hysteris is 1 j.

1.24j ~ 1j.

QUOTE=Narin]Yeah, they were a tough few papers, but I think I did ok though. The only question I couldn't do was estimating finding the damn area of the loop in that hysteresis graph (solid materials BTW)! I had no idea what shapes I could split that into and I certainly wasn't going to count the squares. If they'd only given the equation of the lines![/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    2was quite gud 4me.. but i 4ound 1really hard.. especially dat clock 1.. just da same wid u guyz.. n paper 3 i 2didit know how to find da area which was in solid materialz...me2. hope Az go down...

ReputationRep:
    I could see you had to subtract two areas, but it was pissing me off how i couldn't get the area under that bottom curve cause any triangle i drew would have been the same as the one i had used for the top curve. I couldn't see any others, lol. They should have made it a definate integration question damn it. I hate estimating things.

ReputationRep:
    phy 1 was gud except for that clock n projectiles question. phy 2 woz very easy hardly any gas laws came up (thermal hardly came up, well da hard thermal stuff) and phy 3 woz quite easy aswell (medical physics)

ReputationRep:
    Phy 1 was fine, except i got 1 part of the clock question wrong. As for proving energey equal to 5e-6 J, I got that 5.13 e-6 J. PHY 2 was easy, an PHY3 was pretty short and not difficult. The extension of the glass rod was 0.3mm, and the hysteresis i got as 1.08 J.

ReputationRep:
    hmm... to tell the truth, i didn't find the questions that hard... the clock thing in PHY1 was a bit tricky... but when you get to understand what they are asking for, its just simple calculations... nothing very complicated !!! and PHY2 was quite easy... and in PHY3, i attempted Astrophysics... and it was quite easy too... but messed up about 4 marks !!! i am satisfied with my overall performance !!!

ReputationRep:
    PHY1 and PHY3 (astrophysics) were dead easy.

PHY2 was a bit trickier but I made my way through it, hopefully I'll get 90% minimum

ReputationRep:
    hmm i still dont understand how you can get the hysteresis area... i just put 'energy absorbed = area between the two graphs' hoping they'd perhaps give me a mark...

PHY2 was okay but i messed up on all the calculations... which is about half the paper... was it 5M or 3.33M for the resistor? and the number of electrons? i got something to the 25th power...

ah well gotta study for C3 and C4 now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spongebobfan)
    hmm i still dont understand how you can get the hysteresis area... i just put 'energy absorbed = area between the two graphs' hoping they'd perhaps give me a mark...

PHY2 was okay but i messed up on all the calculations... which is about half the paper... was it 5M or 3.33M for the resistor? and the number of electrons? i got something to the 25th power...

ah well gotta study for C3 and C4 now...
    It was supposed to br 5M ohms.

ReputationRep:
    It was supposed to br 5M ohms.
    Don't listen to him, it's 10MOhms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narin)
    Don't listen to him, it's 10MOhms.
    2 resistors of 10M ohms in series are not supposed to have unequal voltages across them. Dont u know ur physics?

it was 5M ohms using:

(R/(R+10,000,000))*9=3

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.