The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not very.
Reply 2
I hope it's not.
Applications are definitely rising though. Thanks Whynotchemeng. Thanks alot.
Reply 3
im think im going to apply for chemical engineering to. What unis are you looking at?
Reply 4
I am applying to do med at uni but also really liked chemical engineering, thinking of putting it down as my fifth choice, but wondering if the unis will even look at me knowing that my personal statement doesn't say a word about chemitry....
Reply 5
DR_X
I am applying to do med at uni but also really liked chemical engineering, thinking of putting it down as my fifth choice, but wondering if the unis will even look at me knowing that my personal statement doesn't say a word about chemitry....

They might do - someone at my school was applying to medicine this year and put law as his fifth choice. He was told to just write a seperate short piece to the uni about law, a sort of mini personal statement and he got an offer. But it will depend where you apply and I can't say whether it'll be considered for chem eng.
DR_X
Just wondering how competitive is applying to do chemical engineering.....

89% chance of an offer if you meet Edinburgh's minimum grade requirements (ABBB @ Higher or BBB A-Level). Got this from their website, official admission statistics.
Reply 7
jammydodger09
89% chance of an offer if you meet Edinburgh's minimum grade requirements (ABBB @ Higher or BBB A-Level). Got this from their website, official admission statistics.

Are You serious......even if I don't mention chemical eingeering in my PS.....
DR_X
Are You serious......even if I don't mention chemical eingeering in my PS.....

Ok two corrections to be made: I assumed that only those meeting the minimum entry requirements would be recorded, upon closer inspection this is not the case. Therefore, the actual chance of getting in based on the minimum grades could be even higher!! Second correction: its 91.6% chance for Chem Eng not 89% :P.

http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/Statistics/200809entry/uniandcollegestatistics2008.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Reply 9
jammydodger09
Ok two corrections to be made: I assumed that only those meeting the minimum entry requirements would be recorded, upon closer inspection this is not the case. Therefore, the actual chance of getting in based on the minimum grades could be even higher!! Second correction: its 91.6% chance for Chem Eng not 89% :P.

http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/Statistics/200809entry/uniandcollegestatistics2008.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

So you mean the 91.6% include people who applied and got below the ABB or BBB entry grade?

I will go for it then, cool, I owe you one.......
DR_X
So you mean the 91.6% include people who applied and got below the ABB or BBB entry grade?

I will go for it then, cool, I owe you one.......

Yep I think so. I'll see you there dude!
Reply 11
well im doin a foundation year at manchester, and by far the most popular are civil/mech.
hiya,
i was wondering what types of extra curriculum activities linked with CE i could do to boost my personal statement for next year, e.g. summer schools etc.. in
thanks
Reply 13
obessedwithu&rockmusic
hiya,
i was wondering what types of extra curriculum activities linked with CE i could do to boost my personal statement for next year, e.g. summer schools etc.. in
thanks

im not sure there are to many, i didnt do any work experience related to chem eng and have got offers from imperial, ucl, manchester and bath. Waiting to hear the reply from cambridge though some time in january. i think what im trying to say is that it doesnt make much of a difference??
Reply 14
krystle24
hey! wanted to post a new thread but dont really know how. haha
how hard is it to get intoa good chem eng uni now? im quite depressed as i wasnt given quite good forecast. my lecturers refuse to let me know but im thinking its around bbcc???
din do really well for my mocks exam as i was so depressed after i lost my grandmother...but i definitely bucked up for the real one. but my lecturer's are solely judging my A2 resluts on my sucky AS mocks. any chances of getting a conditional offer at least???my lecturers asked if i wanted to wait for my real AS result so they may be able to upgrade my forecast...but that would mean i hv to apply for the 2011 intake(i dont want to wait for 1 year without schooling! so does my parents..) sighhhh
i'm really interested in ucl as its got all the societies im interested in & i love the place it's at. Any comments on ucl chem eng??? how's the department, social setting and all? also pretty interested in manchester,bath,edinburgh...any advice on good safety schools?
Regarding the chem eng course, i dont take physic A-Level's but i've the basics in middle school...i take bio,chem,math and psychology(i think psych may be of benefit as we'll learn on management, leadership etc )i do like chemistry albeit it not being my strongest subject...math's enjoyable to me although i'm not like, super einstein in it...sooo...do you think its a wise choice to take up chem eng? (kinda not sure what course i wanna take but i think this should be a good course for me???? lol if i dont decide on 1 i'll never get to decide)
AND i heard that i can work in a huge range of career with a chem eng degree right??? i find that interesting...i also read in some article that they may work with the FBI?
sorry for the longggggg questions...just been really REALLYYYYY depressed about the predictions. dont the real results count more? :frown:
lol, i last question : is there a significant amout of girls taking up chem eng as well? im an international student & i think its kinda awkward to be in a class/department where all i see are males hahaha i'd like to have some girl friends there!

Hey, Don't be depressed - you should be able to get conditional offers without any problems - With BBC you could get into uni for BEng courses, and then transfer to MEng after year 2 provided you average atleast 2.1 (60%) when in uni... your A level subjects are fine, I did A-levels in Maths, Bio n Chem, with AS Physics.

You'll hardly do any chemistry when in uni doing chem eng - Most of it is Maths and Physics. We only had one proper chemistry module in 1st year, after which most of the chemistry is "physical chemistry".

There are probably more girls in chemical eng than in any other engineering discipline as far as i know. In my year we had about 15 girls out of 60 in total. PM me for any other questions, I'll reply as soon as I can.
Reply 15
Hi was just wondering if i need physics to study chemical engineering ? because right now i'm doing Maths, Biology Chemistry and Biology
Reply 16
vevane
Hi was just wondering if i need physics to study chemical engineering ? because right now i'm doing Maths, Biology Chemistry and Biology

You don't NEED it but the course is basically maths and physics with a tiny bit of chem, so you'll be disadvantaged without Physics.
Reply 17
thank you
Reply 18
mfc20
You don't NEED it but the course is basically maths and physics with a tiny bit of chem, so you'll be disadvantaged without Physics.

Pretty much, I'd sooner go into chemical engineering without chemistry than physics.
Reply 19
If you've done M1 in maths and you've done chemistry you'll be fine. From what I hear you can pick up the physics it's not impossible. Slight disadvantage in comparison to others who are familiar with some concepts and laws. Don't forget alot of the things in physical chemistry are also physics for example mass flow, heat transfer and thermodynamics.

Latest