Friends' msn got hacked! Watch

Bulbasaur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
And they said they were about to hack mine, can they really just do that?
diango
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Very unlikely that this would effect you, especially since no files were recieved. And, there is no such program, other than a brute force - ie, a program that runs millions of passwords against an account, until it guesses the right one.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by diango)
Very unlikely that this would effect you, especially since no files were recieved. And, there is no such program, other than a brute force - ie, a program that runs millions of passwords against an account, until it guesses the right one.
Yes there is, starting a convo with someone is enough.
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rucklo)
I started it though :| Is it likely this will happen to me?
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joshphillips999)
I doub't it. Unless it's an ass trying to piss people off. It can take a little bit of fiddling with a network protocol analyzer to get it, which unless your sad you won't do for no reason.
CLEE_F
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember my friend's msn he got it hacked and when he went on facebook everyone was like hahahaha because her picture had changed on facebook to something completely different. Actually it might have been someone else who hacked into it and started saying offencive stuff to evry1
doggyfizzel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When people say hacked they rarely mean hacked, someone has probably just used the password.
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In the same way that looking at somweone coughing is enough to make you catch swine flu.
diango
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doub't it. Unless it's an ass trying to piss people off. It can take a little bit of fiddling with a network protocol analyzer to get it, which unless your sad you won't do for no reason.
Hence why I said that it was unlikely that it would affect him! :rolleyes:
jayshah31
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
When people say hacked they rarely mean hacked, someone has probably just used the password.
Yeah, but you quickly realise no-one is listening/understanding when you say something like this so you might as well just let things be. Would be nice if Hotmail was vulnerable to database injection :p:
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they shouldn't be able to hack you

if it happens change your password
Honesttogod
Report 9 years ago
yes, very likely. Ive seen it happen many times before.

Never a pretty sight, if u ask me.

my solution would be to leave the country asap, register on the witness protection program.

I recommend alabama, go by the name billy bob jr.
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
I don't really understand what you mean tbh, but then again I don't know a lot about hacking. Would this take like hours to do or something?

But why would the hacker stay on the account so long? Would this be something to do with trying to hack other peoples accounts? And remember, this person was sad enough to hack my friend. Unless it was through a spyware program or something.
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
Or answered the secret question 'What is my favourite food?' when their Facebook profile says 'I LUV PIZZA! ITZ MY FAV FOOD 4 LIFE!'
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
I don't really understand what you mean tbh, but then again I don't know a lot about hacking. Would this take like hours to do or something?

But why would the hacker stay on the account so long? Would this be something to do with trying to hack other peoples accounts? And remember, this person was sad enough to hack my friend. Unless it was through a spyware program or something.
Im talking off the basis of convo's with a friend of mine who is doing a phd in computer science studying something with BT and the MOD. But the general idea is packets from msn are unencrypted. Therefore using a network analyzer you can see the packets and somehow you get one that shows the password (Bit i don't know how to do but he does.)
diango
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im talking off the basis of convo's with a friend of mine who is doing a phd in computer science studying something with BT and the MOD. But the general idea is packets from msn are unencrypted. Therefore using a network analyzer you can see the packets and somehow you get one that shows the password (Bit i don't know how to do but he does.)
AFAIK, that's ridiculous! Why would packets containing your password be floating around during a conversation?

Obviously sign-in i'm sure is encrypted.
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its more likely someone spent sometime guessing her password or secret question. I doubt in anyway you will be targeted.
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by diango)
AFAIK, that's ridiculous! Why would packets containing your password be floating around during a conversation?

Obviously sign-in i'm sure is encrypted.
Was the first question I asked him. He didn't seem to have an answer. There must be a logical reason.
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
Well, this is going to make me look like a right dumbass now, but her password was "password". Yet I doubt she was actually hacked by someone on her contact list. The people she has added on her list are all friendly to her etc. and nobody she has added would

1) know how to hack someone
2) want to, since they aren't horrible like that.

Plus the behaviour is very odd, so I doubt that someone has just guessed it, although yes its a possibilty.
diango
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, this is going to make me look like a right dumbass now, but her password was "password". Yet I doubt she was actually hacked by someone on her contact list. The people she has added on her list are all friendly to her etc. and nobody she has added would

1) know how to hack someone
2) want to, since they aren't horrible like that.

Plus the behaviour is very odd, so I doubt that someone has just guessed it, although yes its a possibilty.
Takes a hacker to figure that one out! You wouldn't necessarily need hacking experience to guess that a password is "password". Someone definetly guessed it, and more likely somebody on the contact list.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.28%
No - but I will (74)
7.5%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (476)
48.23%

Watched Threads