Struggling with Core 1 Maths AQA Watch

Grazor
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I'm at my second week of 6th form now and im already feeling the burn from Maths.

I got a high B at GCSE so it's not like im stupid (i hope lol)

Does anyone have any tips or any links to places where i can help myself with Core 1 work. Im reading through my work i do in class but im seriously finding it hard.

I said to my parents if i can't get the hang of it in the next 2 weeks then i might consider getting a tutor. I don't want to get one but i think it will be necessary if i can't get the hang of it on my own.

Soooo yeah, anyone got any ideas.

Thanks in advance

~Grazor
roosel4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Grazor)
So I'm at my second week of 6th form now and im already feeling the burn from Maths.

Does anyone have any tips or any links to places where i can help myself with Core 1 work. Im reading through my work i do in class but im seriously finding it hard.

I said to my parents if i can't get the hang of it in the next 2 weeks then i might consider getting a tutor. I don't want to get one but i think it will be necessary if i can't get the hang of it on my own.

Thanks in advance

~Grazor
http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pure/

or buy yourself this got an almost guaranteed B/A

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...hematics1.aspx

fortunecookie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Practice practice practice all the questions you can get your hands on.

I'm not exactly struggling, but have to make sure im dead cert in stuff otherwise I'll forget it. So I tend to do loads of questions just to drill it all in.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
You've only been there two weeks so chances are that everything's a bit overwhelming. Just go through your notes (or your textbook) and look through them -- each time something new is introduced try to understand how it works and how it follows on from what you've just learnt. Do a few simple questions, and then work your way up to the harder ones -- if you're getting the simple ones wrong it's probably just a small hole in your understanding that you can fill in without much hassle by reading the section in the textbook that explains it more carefully. Patience is the key really. You can also ask for help with specifics on here, there are quite a few people willing to help (myself included) and it costs you nothing :p:
Grazor
Im AQA not Edexcel, but thanks
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
C1 is just gcse so should be really easy go do some practicing and it will make sense.
doggyfizzel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maybe you just need to spend more time studying, or change your style of study a little bit.
Grazor
(Original post by nuodai)
You've only been there two weeks so chances are that everything's a bit overwhelming. Just go through your notes (or your textbook) and look through them -- each time something new is introduced try to understand how it works and how it follows on from what you've just learnt. Do a few simple questions, and then work your way up to the harder ones -- if you're getting the simple ones wrong it's probably just a small hole in your understanding that you can fill in without much hassle by reading the section in the textbook that explains it more carefully. Patience is the key really. You can also ask for help with specifics on here, there are quite a few people willing to help (myself included) and it costs you nothing :p:

Yep, its very overwhelming, and it don't help knowing my first exam is in January, feels like i have not time.
windy1234
Report 9 years ago
Don't worry, just make sure you practice what you learn and ask the teacher for help when you're struggling.

It's perfectly normal to struggle when you first start your a levels, it's quite a jump from gcse's. I'm sure you'll get into the rhythm soon.
TomInce6666
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My school only lets us take maths if we get a minimum B and most of those kids end up struggling too. Its (in my opinion) the biggest jump in difficulty for a specific subject. Get a tutor and pray that you can get through AS year and consider dropping it in the end. Cause theres nothing worse than a subject you dont like and arent that good at, just makes AS year hell. (personal experience).
Grazor
It's not that i DONT enjoy maths, i actually thinks it's alright. Just finding it hard
fizzywizzy525
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A level maths is a LOT harder than GCSE. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't easily get A*. There are exceptions to this, i.e. people having a bad day, but basically, I'm saying that I'm not suprised you're finding it hard, especially at first, so make sure you ask for help, and do as many practice questions as you can.
vortex64
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got A at GCSE, then got A at AS; I'm doing A2 now.

Patience is key; it took me time to get used to the big workload and tough questions. Just be patience and consult fellow students/ teachers about it.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

~Grazor
You don't have to get the hang of it on your own. Tell your teacher you are struggling and ask for help. Don't leave it or you'll fall behind and find it a massive challenge to catch up.

This is supposed to be a great web site but I never spent the money to find out.
http://www.mathsnetalevel.com/

This is an alternative
http://www.livemaths.co.uk/

There's good free stuff here for many of the pure maths topics
http://www.kentfurthermaths.org/?page_id=5

And good basic stuff here
http://www.waldomaths.com/index1619.jsp

Good luck, it will be worth it in the end.
hazzypants
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I felt exactly the same as you, don't worry. I got an E in mock, (yes an E!) but got 80 in Core1, and A a few weeks later. Really just stick at it, it will all click eventually.
ste0731
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't waste money on a tutor.
Put in extra work at home yourself via the internet or textbooks.
The way that worked best for me was looking in advance on a new topic. I knew the next topic was "X". So i read up the basics of X and kept re-reading until i understood the basics completely, then after I knew the basics, left it there. The teacher then spelt the lesson telling me the basics while i sat there checking my understanding was correct, however when the harder stuff comes you will be 110% ready for it as you fully understand the basics. And can concentrate on the real maths bit :P

apart from that, just post questions on TSR and someone will always give you a step by step answer with reasonings
SuperMario88
Report 9 years ago
You Ist ****** Man
CS_Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Thanks in advance

~Grazor
People who can get B grades at GCSE are still capable of doing A-level Maths, as long as you put a lot of effort into it. or else it will go down hill, I know when i done it, everyone found it was a big leap from GCSE to AS, and once you open the text book, you think "WOOWW" what is all this language :eek3: and everyone started saying what is all this got to do with our jobs in the future???

but trust me on this, stick on with it. if you are struggling with it, i highly recommend you pay a membership for this site, http://www.livemaths.co.uk/ this website certainly helped me and a lot of others as well, try reading their testimonials. This is a lot cheaper than your normal home tutors, which charge around £25-£50 an hour, you wont learn as much. but with this site, you only need to pay £80 for a yearly subscription. and also, most value for money is that you can rewind videos and play them in your own pace. People use this website solidly for 3 months before their exams and get an A grade :yep:

hope that helps my friend
EasyTiger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had live maths for 3 weeks before my June AS exams.

It was awsome! Well worth it imo!

I got an A at GCSE (Easily, literally no work) and a solid A at AS, im now doing maths A2 and further maths AS, in year 13.

It does seem hard, but after a while it all seems to click into place!
Grazor
(Original post by CS_Prodigy)
People who can get B grades at GCSE are still capable of doing A-level Maths, as long as you put a lot of effort into it. or else it will go down hill, I know when i done it, everyone found it was a big leap from GCSE to AS, and once you open the text book, you think "WOOWW" what is all this language :eek3: and everyone started saying what is all this got to do with our jobs in the future???

but trust me on this, stick on with it. if you are struggling with it, i highly recommend you pay a membership for this site, http://www.livemaths.co.uk/ this website certainly helped me and a lot of others as well, try reading their testimonials. This is a lot cheaper than your normal home tutors, which charge around £25-£50 an hour, you wont learn as much. but with this site, you only need to pay £80 for a yearly subscription. and also, most value for money is that you can rewind videos and play them in your own pace. People use this website solidly for 3 months before their exams and get an A grade :yep:

hope that helps my friend

You just reminded me, my school has put up videos exactly like those for every single subject in maths GCSE. I completely forget lol. I can use them instead of paying as my school has already provided them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.86%
No - but I will (46)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.32%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise