Austrailia by car Watch

MaccyG
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
After my exams next summer I am hoping to travel to Austrailia near Melbourne to visit my Uncle. He has offered me a bed (more like a house) on his large acreage plot and I can stay for as long as I want. I was thinking around 3 weeks but I could stay more. He also has many old cars (bangers) and he said I could have one for the duration. He has quite a few Land Rover Defenders so maybe one similar to this. Only work iw ould have to do is maybe gardening work at is hous ea nd a bit of building but most of it is my time. So that brings me to my first question.

What are the laws on insururing cars over there on ym full Uk license I would have had for 1.5 years by then.

I would like to travel round by car and visit various places stay in cheap hostels/ hotels either by myself with my uncle or perhaps with a companion if I find one before then. It will be there Winter but I dont mind because I dont really like Hot weather and I love to ski. So one of my options would be to ski a bit in Oz.

Any recommendations on the skiing part.

Besides this I am basically open to anything and I dont mind travelling as I would love to cruise around the Oz countryside.

Do any of you have any ideas, suggestions, experiences of what I could dow hen i am there.

Of course it is all stilla pie in the sky idea at the moment but I think ti will almost certainly happen.

Thanks

- Ross
TheGimpMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
MaccyG
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGimpMan)
Thanks for the really helpful advice but I dont think I am their type.
Zedd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aren't their winters like... 26C + ? I didn't think it ever snowed there...

Problem with travelling alone is that if things went wrong you could find yourself in a bit of bother.
VL86
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is good skiing in the snowy mountains, near canberra... but if you want to do it by car... in three weeks... you do realise that it takes days to get between cities in australia, not hours, right? Best get urself some cheap internal flights matey!
MaccyG
Rep:
?
(Original post by VL86)
There is good skiing in the snowy mountains, near canberra... but if you want to do it by car... in three weeks... you do realise that it takes days to get between cities in australia, not hours, right? Best get urself some cheap internal flights matey!
According to my Uncle there is good skiing only 4 hours away so an overnight stop could be done.
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MaccyG)
Thanks for the really helpful advice but I dont think I am their type.
don't you recognise your uncle in that pic?
nadnerb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zedd)
Aren't their winters like... 26C + ? I didn't think it ever snowed there...
Depends where you go.
I just got back from visiting my family in Melbourne and it was pretty cold at times - about 5-8'c in the evenings.
But most of the time it wasn't too different from summer here - about 15-18'c most days.

The further north you go the warmer it is. Cairns is always at least 25'c and Darwin for example never really goes below 30'c all year.

As for snow, there's plenty of places to go skiing in Victoria, NSW and ACT.
CaptainWentworth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you happen to stumble across a movie called "Wolf Creek", watch it. Should find most things you need to know about travelling through Aus by car.
piratebuzz
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MaccyG)
Do any of you have any ideas, suggestions, experiences of what I could dow hen i am there.
If you are near melbourne you have to do the great ocean road its stunning, sunset over the twelve apostles is great. take it slow so mebbe 3 days,
there is snowboarding at mt buller,
are you gonna be based around melbourne the whole time?
sydney is about 8 hours away but from there there are the blue mountains whihc are stunning, could you not do a road trip up the east coast - its brilliant fun and there are loads of backpackers
did you mean 3 weeks in oz cos you will be so gutted leave after such a short time, i reccomend 8 months
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My boyfriend & I bought a car on a buyback deal from Travellers Autobarn and drove from Darwin to Sydney in a month and a half, taking in Kakadu & Litchfield national parks, the Devil's Marbles, Uluru, Cairns, diving the Great Barrier Reef, snorkelling the Whitsunday Islands, Brisbane, Bundaburg, surfing at Byron Bay, Canberra and Melbourne on the way. We bought insurance from Travellers Autobarn at the start because of the discount on it. I can't remember whether it's Australia or New Zealand, but in one of those, it's actually legal not to get insurance (though obviously it's strongly recommended), and a sizeable proportion of the locals don't bother getting any. You'd have to read up about this on the internet first though.
Adam Walker
Report 9 years ago
I just finished 1 year travelling in Oz and I had a great time! I drove around and a couple of rental company rent cars to 18 years old, so no worries about the rest :woo: If you've got enough money and you are planning on going to NZ anyway, go skiing over there.
I would recommend you to buy a car if you are travelling longer than 4 months. My friend and I bought a car together and the company sorted everything out. Just be careful to get one with guarantee! We bought ours of travelers autobarn in Sydney.
You should go to the Ningaloo reff national park on the west coast, it's such a good snorkel place, coz the reef starts right on the beach.
gemini89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
I can't remember whether it's Australia or New Zealand, but in one of those, it's actually legal not to get insurance (though obviously it's strongly recommended), and a sizeable proportion of the locals don't bother getting any. You'd have to read up about this on the internet first though.
Just wanted to clarify this in case anyone is interested - in NZ you do not need to have car insurance. In some ways it's really great cos then you can just drive anyones car without much worry (from police that is)....BUT obviously there's a huge downsize if you have an accident!!

There's some good info here about buying a car - it's mostly NZ specific but there's a section at the bottom describing what sort of car to look for etc. Pretty useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads